"Handmade 2" Tests Unconventional Hand-Shaped Surfboards in Perfect Indonesian Waves

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Just wait until they discover the 80’s!!!

Neon, webbed gloves, herpes and the Huntington Hop!!! :love:
Boards from the 80s ruled. I scored a mint 80s Joe Bark thruster off of craigslist for nothing. Think Rusty 1984. Took a Japanese pull saw to it and made it a swallow tail. Shredded so hard at Zeros that as I was going up the stairs after my last wave some rando headed down to surf says to me “Hey man you were killing it. What board are you riding?”
I don’t think he got the answer he expected.
Personally I’d fucking love to see a bunch of today’s young free thinkers go on an 8Os thruster trip.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Couldn't watch it ... wanted top punch Knost through my laptop screen ... and it's too expensive to have fixed.

• Haha
Reactions: johnson7

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Couldn't watch it ... wanted top punch Knost through my laptop screen ... and it's too expensive to have fixed.
Not a fan of his logging but I really dig his retro act. Could be the cheater 5s on a short board. I’m a sucker for cheater 5s on short boards. So fun. I like his aggression and speed.

Fully expected he would totally chafe me in general based on what little I’d seen of him previously.
I dig the cat. All the guys in the vid seem like they’d be a blast to surf with.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Not a fan of his logging but I really dig his retro act. Could be the cheater 5s on a short board. I’m a sucker for cheater 5s on short boards. So fun. I like his aggression and speed.

Fully expected he would totally chafe me in general based on what little I’d seen of him previously.
I dig the cat. All the guys in the vid seem like they’d be a blast to surf with.
Fair enough. The whole hipster thing just gives me the shits something fierce. I lived in London before the term hipster was a thing, and worked in an area where they were just fucking everywhere. They used to be called Shoreditch twats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreditch_Twat
Hated them then, hate them now ... and now they've invaded my holy place .. surfing.

I suppose I also partly blame people like him who legitimately rip, but inspires hordes of dickheads to come paddle out at my local protected points when the waves are firing, surfing their finless wooden boards and floral open shirts through a crowded lineup.

Reactions: 000

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Boards from the 80s ruled. I scored a mint 80s Joe Bark thruster off of craigslist for nothing. Think Rusty 1984. Took a Japanese pull saw to it and made it a swallow tail. Shredded so hard at Zeros that as I was going up the stairs after my last wave some rando headed down to surf says to me “Hey man you were killing it. What board are you riding?”
I don’t think he got the answer he expected.
Personally I’d fucking love to see a bunch of today’s young free thinkers go on an 8Os thruster trip.
Non Concave bottoms with fins placed 1/4" further back ---

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Non Concave bottoms with fins placed 1/4" further back ---
I liked my vintage boards flat on the bottom, domed up top. Wide and thick. Rockerless slabs. Became very fond of the thumb tail.
Ordered a custom thruster from Rusty summer of ‘93. Told him, beak the nose.
What did else did the best 80s thrusters utilize for design char?
Rusty’s 1984 = “Occy's board from his bust-out year. The Raging Bull was unstoppable on it. The '84 is also considered a very user-friendly, versatile design. Flat bottom under the front foot with a shallow vee and scooped panels through the fins and lifting off the corners of the tail. Relaxed rocker, flat deck, beak nose, and boxy rails.”

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I got an old Rusty thruster that matches that description from a friend, it was just sitting in the closet when he moved into a new apartment. I was so stocked on it, it felt really fun. Till I surfed it. Had a few moments but never connected, the fins were tiny and I suspect part of my problem.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
hey griffin, u think these fins are too far forward?, this is from the 80s
ps this question is not a joke

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
hey griffin, u think these fins are too far forward?, this is from the 80s
ps this question is not a joke
That’s a rad looking board. Such a clean outline. I bet it’s super fun to surf.
I could never figure out why the reissues from that era like the 1984 and Black Beauty aren’t more popular.

You thinking about having one made?
I’d be pretty stoked on having a Rabbit model.

Snowboarding just went 80s Retro

1599285908639.jpeg

1599285960058.jpeg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Front fins

12 and 6 was what futures told shapers when they released their first 4 fin set based on a shaper of the year

It took a few years for many to recover from that ;-)

11 and 5 is the new now now for many
What are the pros and cons of the beak?
I asked Rusty for one on my custom way back when b/c
Occy
It looked cool imo
I figured why wouldn’t you (planing)