Guitar Pedals (help....)

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I know plenty of you guys are gear guys or actual professional guitarists, so help me erBB brain trust!

I've started playing with some guys and I need to basically start from scratch on my tone.
Even though I've been playing over 25 yrs (semiprofessionally for about 6 years) I've only ever played with tube distortion or clean with light verb.

I'm playing out of a small Bose. It's 60 watts and basically flat response.

I'm looking to get pedals for reverb, distortion/overdrive, octave, and chorus/vibrato/weird sounds. (I have a delay pedal)

Any reccomendations without breaking the bank?
Anything to specifically avoid?

Thanks! :waving:

For your troubles..... (please forgive the lack of hot lady photo. I want to be able to reference this thread while sitting next to my wife, lol)

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm likely going to buy this (used) today.
Seems like there's lots of weird sounds as well as conventional chorus or verb

Reactions: Witchipoo

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Bose guitar amp? Like with an amp modeler or what?

There are so, so many directions you can go with guitar pedals. What kind of overdriven tones are you seeking?

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Bose guitar amp? Like with an amp modeler or what?

What kind of overdriven tones are you seeking?
The bose amp is more like a PA, kinda. No amp modeling or tones at all, besides basic EQ and reverb. I got it for playing classical guitar.

I'm looking for mid-high gain (but clear) rock distortion, and I'd also like an overdrive with a buttery mid boost for playing lead.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I'd get a good guitar amp instead of using the bose. I gigged for years with just a boogie mark II. It has decent reverb and I'd roll off the volume for rhythm and crank it for leads. Pedals weaken your sound IMO. Santana said once that a lot of guys have chops but when they play it's like shooting blanks. He was referring to their commitment to what they were playing, but also their sound.

One band I played with had another guitarist who was a gear head and he had a pedal board. No comparison between the impact of our tones. He's a good player but his tone doesn't have the impact you get when you go straight into a good amp. Of course if you want chorus, echo, flange, then you gotta do it. But just for gain and reverb you don't need no stinkin pedals.

Unfortunately the amp is way more expensive than a pedal.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Respectively disagree with the previous response that pedals weaken your sound. (Though I agree that you'd be best off playing through a tube amp.)

You do need some sort of amp modeling though with your setup if you're trying to produce the types of tones most people are going to expect from you in a band situation.

A pre-amp pedal like this one - Strymon Iridium - would give you a lot of what you're looking for in one package. Different clean and dirty tones + some verb.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Yeah, I do miss playing through a high gain tube amp. One of my favorites was a soldano. It fckn screamed punk gain, but every chord tone was still audible, even on big open chords. It only had one channel, though, so I had to A/B to my little marshal practice amp for the 2 songs that had clean tone. :roflmao:

This is a much different project. I think I'll be playing clean w/effects most of the time, with occasional rock distortion.

I do have a line 6 POD that i've played through at home for years. Is that amp modeling better for distortion than using pedals? Maybe I haven't dug into it enough, but it sounds a bit squashed overall to me.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
I think you need to take a step back and look at why/how people are using pedals with their amps in the first place.

This is kind of a long video, but has a lot of good info packed in:

Your clean tones through your Bose are not going to sound like clean tones through an amp. Maybe more like a Beatles guitar straight into the mixing board sound which is cool, but prob not what you want most of the time. A modeler like the POD or the Strymon pedal I linked will get you closer to sounding like the real deal. You could put other pedals in front of them. I expect the Strymon would handle other pedals better than the POD, but IDK. Haven't used either myself.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
catainbread dirty little secret will give you that marshall tone when you want it.
electro harmonics oceans 11 when you wanna get weird.
big muff when you wanna be j mascis

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'd get a good guitar amp instead of using the bose.
Your clean tones through your Bose are not going to sound like clean tones through an amp.
I agree.

I am by no means an expert.

But the amp is the base of your sound.

You could have every pedal on the planet but if your amp sucks it's lipstick on a pig.

Also, you're a homeowner, right?

This means you can play at full volume on the regular.

That is such a privilege.

You should take full advantage of that, lose the Bose, and buy a real amp. And enjoy it.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+infinity, get a real amp with tubes. no modelers, no od pedals, fuq solid state - just tubes.

you don’t need a loud amp that breaks your back or your ears. worst case you could mic a 10” combo tube amp and run that into your flat response Bose for more volume or better sound stage.

small tube amps @10 FTW. Mic it and run it through solid state and it will sound better than your solid state amp with pedals.

reverb pedals work fine and some even have a weird mode (EH holy grail). you may want to consider an amp with an effects loop if youre really trying to get weird. I think Kustom makes affordable tube amps that review well and have the bells and whistles (2ch, fx loop) of typically bigger or more expensive stuff.

Last edited:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I'm likely going to buy this (used) today.
Seems like there's lots of weird sounds as well as conventional chorus or verb
I almost got one of those for my electric fiddle, but I went with the Afterneath instead.
For weird noises, the Red Panda Particle delay is endlessly entertaining.
For really nasty fuzz, may I suggest the Death By Audio Fuzz War pedal?
And I second the Holy Grail reverb pedal, although there are all kinds of fancier ones out there.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Ditto the DSL. If you are playing guitar through a PA speaker, you need an amp in the box-type pedal. Catalinbread makes a lot of those, in various flavors. DSL, Monarch, the Formula pedals.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I know plenty of you guys are gear guys or actual professional guitarists, so help me erBB brain trust!

I've started playing with some guys and I need to basically start from scratch on my tone.
Even though I've been playing over 25 yrs (semiprofessionally for about 6 years) I've only ever played with tube distortion or clean with light verb.

I'm playing out of a small Bose. It's 60 watts and basically flat response.

I'm looking to get pedals for reverb, distortion/overdrive, octave, and chorus/vibrato/weird sounds. (I have a delay pedal)

Any reccomendations without breaking the bank?
Anything to specifically avoid?

Thanks! :waving:

For your troubles..... (please forgive the lack of hot lady photo. I want to be able to reference this thread while sitting next to my wife, lol)
You need a Boss Katana. Get the 100w and thank me later

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I really like my 50 w Katana amp.

It sounds good for a not being a tube amp.

When it sounds bad it's my shitty playing

A couple of times I have jammed with my friend who is playing on drums an it sounded great.

IT has a bunch of effects too.

And it's cheap.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I agree.

I am by no means an expert.

But the amp is the base of your sound.

You could have every pedal on the planet but if your amp sucks it's lipstick on a pig.

Also, you're a homeowner, right?

This means you can play at full volume on the regular.

That is such a privilege.

You should take full advantage of that, lose the Bose, and buy a real amp. And enjoy it.
Did you buy an amp?