Greenlight custom blank service:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
@One-Off
I was wondering if these are "custom" blanks or CNC milled boards coming off their machine.
For blanks you might check with Fusetight, he has a computer controlled hot wire for block cut. I spoke with Mike at the Boardroom and asked if t could get boards cut again, sounded like he had block eps again .
They are just hotwired blanks. They are not CNC cuts.

Reactions: need 4 speed

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@One-Off
When I was there last I saw the hot wire and asked(a while ago) he also has an ASP3000 which does beautiful cuts. My board were from block cut, not superfused. You can also reach out to Coby at Marko, they may be able to help you with what you're looking for.

Reactions: One-Off

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The person who buys that Greenlight blank will come nowhere near replicating the board. They won't replicate the shape and they likely won't glass it so it has the same flex characteristics as say a Lost or whoever they hope to copy. Just too many variables.
I understand the finished shape will turn out different, but that's not the issue.

The issue is Greenlight selling someone else's rocker profile and outline to you, presumably without permission from or compensation to the shaper who designed it.

When you go and buy a Patterson blank from US Blanks, part of the price you're paying for is Timmy's rocker profile . US Blanks either paid Timmy to develop that blank with them or they're giving Timmy royalties for every blank sold.

If Greenlight is paying each shaper then it's a moot point, but the way the blank purchase is worded sounds shady to me.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I understand the finished shape will turn out different, but that's not the issue.

The issue is Greenlight selling someone else's rocker profile and outline to you, presumably without permission from or compensation to the shaper who designed it.

When you go and buy a Patterson blank from US Blanks, part of the price you're paying for is Timmy's rocker profile . US Blanks either paid Timmy to develop that blank with them or they're giving Timmy royalties for every blank sold.

If Greenlight is paying each shaper then it's a moot point, but the way the blank purchase is worded sounds shady to me.

yup

Reactions: One-Off and jkb

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Not so sure. Rocker curves are somewhat generic even though developed and named after a shaper. Like with fins iirc you can patent a foil (vector) but not a template (outline/curve) Most of my 6-2s come out of a 6-5R blank, not because of that blanks rocker but that's what blank my boards "fit" in. Not trying to be argumentative, but using a rocker curve from an existing model doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Also like a said before I think this is a very niche market, if Greenlight is monitoring and using this for home builders not sell 100 RNF or ghost a day......

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Not so sure. Rocker curves are somewhat generic even though developed and named after a shaper. Like with fins iirc you can patent a foil (vector) but not a template (outline/curve) Most of my 6-2s come out of a 6-5R blank, not because of that blanks rocker but that's what blank my boards "fit" in. Not trying to be argumentative, but using a rocker curve from an existing model doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Also like a said before I think this is a very niche market, if Greenlight is monitoring and using this for home builders not sell 100 RNF or ghost a day......
Surfboard building is a niche market.
Marketing your business on the backs of others without compensation is a kook move.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The Superfused blanks I use are moulded not wired. Their polys (moulded) are customizable too. Not sure how they do that.
Adjusting rockers on PU blanks has traditionally been done by bending the blank during the glue up of the stringer. The stringer therefore holds the adjusted rocker in place. I would imagine that if say a rocker increase is made then because it is the centre line of the blank that holds the new rocker there would be a slight return to original moulded shape at the corners of the blank. i.e concaved ends. For most HP outlines I would think that this would be negligible and only be an issue for a Northern Shores style door outline. I expect this warp could be shaped out though.