Good hooded 4/3?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just copped a hooded 4/3 Isurus Evade and a 4.5/3.5 O'Neill Mutant through the Cleanline memorial day sale. Hoping Isurus fits. I've heard they run short.

Goal is to not be shivering after 90 minutes next winter.

Reactions: sh3

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Good call on the cleanline Memorial Day sale. Just grabbed 4/3 and 5/4 hyperfreaks for this upcoming season.

I can’t seem to find anything that honestly works better than these suits, especially when you consider the price.

The isurus suits are very nice but for some reasons the chest zips flush terribly on me. I did grab a 5/4 matuse dante last year which I’ve been very pleased with.

It’s not as flexible as the hyperfreaks obviously but it is very comfortable, dries very quickly, is super light and is pretty damn warm as it barely lets any water in. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend that suit at the pretty reasonable $400 price point.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Just copped a hooded 4/3 Isurus Evade and a 4.5/3.5 O'Neill Mutant through the Cleanline memorial day sale. Hoping Isurus fits. I've heard they run short.

Goal is to not be shivering after 90 minutes next winter.
How big are you and what size suit did you get? I wear a size Medium in almost every brand but a Large-Short in Isurus. I already knew I had the build of corgi, but Isurus brought that home.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Good call on the cleanline Memorial Day sale. Just grabbed 4/3 and 5/4 hyperfreaks for this upcoming season.

I can’t seem to find anything that honestly works better than these suits, especially when you consider the price.

The isurus suits are very nice but for some reasons the chest zips flush terribly on me. I did grab a 5/4 matuse dante last year which I’ve been very pleased with.

It’s not as flexible as the hyperfreaks obviously but it is very comfortable, dries very quickly, is super light and is pretty damn warm as it barely lets any water in. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend that suit at the pretty reasonable $400 price point.
Curious how that Dante entry does on the thicker suits. I’ve only had a 2mil s/s full. That butterfly entry is the easiest to get in/out of any zippered suit I’ve had. I almost grabbed a previous season 4/3 this month when they had them on sale.
Doesn’t flush in cold water?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
How big are you and what size suit did you get? I wear a size Medium in almost every brand but a Large-Short in Isurus. I already knew I had the build of corgi, but Isurus brought that home.
Interesting. I'm the opposite build. Tall and thin at 6'3, 190-193. Proportionally, I have a long torso and short legs. Grabbed a LT. Of the suits I've tried, O'Neill has the best LT fit for me. Can't go wrong with those.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My experience has been that every time I don't buy an Xcel, I'm cold. I got a Matuse when they were the new hot thing on this list and it sucked if it was windy or cloudy. I got an Oneill Psycho Tech 5/4 hooded this last winter and found, that the stretchy stuff in the shoulders and arms lets the wind right through although it's more flexible than the Xcels.

Would love to get a Japanese suit if they are actually warmer (or the same warmth but more flexible and less leaky). But sounds like maybe at least with the Isurus that isn't the case.
I don't think the Japanese suits have well designed hoods or cuffs like good cold water suits such as oneill and xcel.

Xcel are the warmest. Rip curl flashbomb is pretty warm too but not as well designed IMO. Neither fit me so I'm stuck with Oneill and Buell.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don't think the Japanese suits have well designed hoods or cuffs like good cold water suits such as oneill and xcel.
Are you talking about the suits made of Japanese rubber (Matuse, Isurus, Feral) or actual Japanese brands like the customs some guys swear by (Axxe, BeWet, Cyber)?
Seems odd. The water gets pretty cold in Japan during winter: even the southern island, Kyushu, gets snow in the winter.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
WTF. Where?

Oh, and Isurus is a Bay Area company!

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Oneill Hyperfreak 5/4 or 4/3. I think these suits tend to run on the thin side because they are stretchy, so a 5/4 would not be crazy. But I’m fine in a 4/3 hyperfreak around Orange County.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Are you talking about the suits made of Japanese rubber (Matuse, Isurus, Feral) or actual Japanese brands like the customs some guys swear by (Axxe, BeWet, Cyber)?
Seems odd. The water gets pretty cold in Japan during winter: even the southern island, Kyushu, gets snow in the winter.
I guess I was talking more about the japanse suits since that's what rtgruber was mentioning but now that I re-read his post i realize he mentioned isurus. I don't think Isurus suits have very well designed cold water features either, though. The cuffs aren't tight enough so the boot/glove interface isn't great. I think the hood itself is decent but the chest cinch cord doesn't stay snug and i get flushing through that area. The suit itself is pretty warm but not as warm as Xcel or Rip Curl Flashbomb.

Matuse don't have a liner AFAIK so they're pretty much out for me.

Feral seem nice but size chart says no go for me and the hood has no visor wtf.

Maybe it's unfair to lump all the Japanese suits together but the Cyber I had didn't hold up at all. Funky velcro entry, odd hood, loose cuffs. It was warm when new and the lining was really nice but the flushing through the cuffs was pretty much a deal breaker in 45F water.

I've never seen an Axxe or BeWet but looking at Axxe site I don't even see a hooded suit.

BeWet hooded suit looks terrible. Like, whats up with the 4 foot chest zip?
1653953991626.png

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

Thanks Ruker. I just yolo'd my first matuse.