Going left at Mavericks

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
There’s a couple others like Nick Van Rup and T Fox packing the lefts too. So fn gnarly. I’m loving watching this generation raising the bar in psycho waves.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Serious question. Was the left considered unmakeable or too dangerous until now. Seems totall makeable for these psychos

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
rts265 said:
Serious question. Was the left considered unmakeable or too dangerous until now. Seems totall makeable for these psychos
Healy goes left (or has gone left).

So did Jeff Clark, I think.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Going left on the shoulder and backdooring the left are very different. Healy was trying a couple years ago. Not sure if he made any.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
bf5 went left if I recall correctly,
If i ever surfed there (which I WOULD NOT) I would probably go left because as I tried to drop in on the right I would air drop put all the weight on my heels and accidentally go left, thats a new move i've been developing in my 50s. the struggle is real

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
When I lived in SF in the early 90s, my neighbor Kirk Young was well-known for surfing the lefts at Mavericks. I think he was from the South Bay and rode Oakfoils boards. Very low key and low profile, he was a standout at OBSF.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Nice vid, QuadFin, thanks for the link!
I'm~a goofy, in many ways ya'll know. And so I used to wonder what it'd be like if say a Marvin Foster, who iirc used to go left at Waimea years ago, did so at Mavericks, f**k that wave does barrel, yow~za! Wondered too what it'd been like to watch Pipe Masters Derek Ho, Joey Buran, Tom Carrol, Occy, etc. surf that left in their prime, but I guess Mark Foo's death, on not that big of a wave, probably put a damper on goofy's tryin' to back~door them big lefts. Has Thee Goat ever pulled in? Esh, Kelly vs Andy, 1 on 1, cool million up for grabs, big lefts only, would ya have paid to watch?
F**k ya!
:jam_on:

Nov 19, 2010
25 years ago in Surfers Journal....

Shoots..trying to post an image...how the hell do I do this?

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Jeff Clark went left for a long time. He has said that he rarely went right. And he did it alone. And my left was a mistake. I mean I meant to, but I shouldn't have. I had no business being out there.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
b.r. said:
bf5 went left if I recall correctly,
If i ever surfed there (which I WOULD NOT) I would probably go left because as I tried to drop in on the right I would air drop put all the weight on my heels and accidentally go left, thats a new move i've been developing in my 50s. the struggle is real
I was an early adopter of this maneuver, but I am sure I just following the footsteps of the gods who tread the land, er, umm, paddled the ocean before me