Gliders....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Surprisingly small. And then I went even smaller.

Board is beautiful. What are the stringers? USB "darkwood" or redwood or... ? They almost look black on my screen.
I’m starting with 7 3/4 inch A-Flex.

Stringers are dark brown wood. Not sure what kind of wood.

So I contacted a coupe of shaper about a custom, put in my parameters - chose dims (11 x 23.5 x 3.5) as a starting point - triple stringer, gloss coat, color preference (light blue)…

Get an email back from Arenal, “i have a used board in those exact dims….”

I look at the attached photos, it’s blue.

Had to get it.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It looks like what US Blanks "darkwood" looks like after it's laminated. They wouldn't tell us what it was, but people kept asking for a dark cedar and they were having problems filling the orders. So they came up with "Dark Wood (Cedar Alternative)" I asked them what it is and they told me, "it's proprietary!" lol. Useless trivia for you. The one Spencer made for me is almost the same exact tint only the stringer is an inch of balsa wood running down the middle.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It looks like what US Blanks "darkwood" looks like after it's laminated. They wouldn't tell us what it was, but people kept asking for a dark cedar and they were having problems filling the orders. So they came up with "Dark Wood (Cedar Alternative)" I asked them what it is and they told me, "it's proprietary!" lol. Useless trivia for you. The one Spencer made for me is almost the same exact tint only the stringer is an inch of balsa wood running down the middle.
Well from that description “Dark Wood” is probably some regular ol’ stringer wood dyed dark. Otherwise why so secretive?

It’s wood, it’s dark.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
looks like ipe or a close relative. only thing is ipe is really hard which makes me think its not a practical choice for stringers. its brazilian what ever it is.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Yup. It's pretty funny. I had shapers complaining that it didn't smell like cedar when it first came through. So I'm calling USB up asking WTF it is.

"Well, it's a proprietary wood product..."

:roflmao:

It smells like burnt wood. Jeff is going, "They used to complain that it wasn't dark enough. Now they're complaining because it doesn't smell right?"

Yes they are.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
looks like ipe or a close relative. only thing is ipe is really hard which makes me think its not a practical choice for stringers. its brazilian what ever it is.
It's not real super hard. I can tell by the sound it makes on a stringer cut. Whatever. Is what it is.

If the stringer is actually full black it's probably high density foam.

Blank Options - US Blanks

I have one triple stringer that is all HD foam.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
It's not real super hard. I can tell by the sound it makes on a stringer cut. Whatever. Is what it is.

If the stringer is actually full black it's probably high density foam.

Blank Options - US Blanks

I have one triple stringer that is all HD foam.
"dark wood" stringer pieces i have checked are def wood. grain and color say rainforest.

but yeah whatever. last time i asked for a redwood stringer, i got "red" wood

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I would assume it has to be, Despite my 10-12 year old glider having a resin tint you can tell it's older. But it's a coke bottle tint and I'm sure that would show more age than a solid tint.

As far as riding, on a board like that I bet it doesn't make much a of a difference.