Gliders....

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
fun first session on the CC CC. did exactly what i hoped--turned small, low tide reef runners into glidey fun. slid across a few fast sections and it kept me in the pocket with less user input than my log. CC's bottom is different than anything else i've ridden and i've always wanted to try it. has a unique feel to it in a good way. smooth, stable, fast and somewhat nimble. the skip frye fin i have is only 6.5" and i was a little esscared to put that in so i went with an 8" Greenough 4A right in the middle of the box to start. had decent drive and felt good enough through the couple of turns i did. i'll prob eff around a little with the fin set up. very addicting feels on this board for sure...
Yeah I got 10' 6" CC earlier this summer for the same reason. The waves have been pretty good most of the summer so I have not surfed it as much as originally planned. Of course I surfed it when I first got it in bigger softer reef break and it went well. A few people looking at me like how did you catch that wave -haha. It is a fun feeling. Problem is you get going and surf too far in. For the smaller softer waves, I use 7" fin. It paddles and catches waves so well. I find myself more exhausted after a session on it for a couple of reasons. First, I am super excited with the notion that I am going to catch everything on this board, and accordingly go after everything, even though I should resist some of them. Since it catches everything, i just keep catching waves. I feel it afterwards. My wife laughs at me, saying I thought that was a cheater board. It is fun change of pace. I don't want to surf it everyday. It is great to have for when the conditions call for it and makes you smile. Otherwise it would have led to subpar session.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
is it necessary that a glider be heavily glassed to perform as intended?

i would like to have a board like this for the winter Baja trips but weight is a consideration. i want a board that i can dick around on when it's too tiny for my groveler. i have a longboard which I like but it's pretty heavy and for how big it is i don't think it actually glides that super well in teeny, tiny waves. last year i didn't even bring it and i think there was only on or two times where i wished i had it. otherwise i was happy to not have to lug it around every time we moved camp. is a glider or mini glider even superior to a noserider type longboard in tiny surf or am i barking up the wrong tree?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

i would like to have a board like this for the winter Baja trips but weight is a consideration. i want a board that i can dick around on when it's too tiny for my groveler. i have a longboard which I like but it's pretty heavy and for how big it is i don't think it actually glides that super well in teeny, tiny waves. last year i didn't even bring it and i think there was only on or two times where i wished i had it. otherwise i was happy to not have to lug it around every time we moved camp. is a glider or mini glider even superior to a noserider type longboard in tiny surf or am i barking up the wrong tree?
yes, my 8' mini glider is much better in tiny waves than my 9'6 LB was (wrong outline/style and it always left me mildly disappointed the 2-3x per year I would ride it). Plus, I'm not a noserider, so I much prefer the glider style which I can surf from the middle or step back to the tail for carves.
I'm not sure about the glassing, but I'd imagine some weight helps with the inertia once it gets planing and would aid in speed of the glide.

• Love
Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com

From my experience a smaller glider is great in small beach break and even reef until gets to the point where you don't have enough speed to keep a board going (if that makes sense). Small fast semi closed out beach break it finds the pocket, small reef it stays in the pocket and trims. Miniglider will not work in nothing waves, just flat out (pun intended) need more board. I only have experience with an Arenal Microglide and CC C-Bucket. If you are trying to catch boat wakes you'll need a little more length. Hope this is remotely helpful!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Yes but how much less weight you talkin here aruka? I have a 8' mini log ewing pintail 5 fin MC bonzer that glides and grovels good but it also has a 6/6 6 S glass pu/epoxy. Only limit is actual toes over hang ten but can do 10 and 5v's are no problem and if surf is good still tons of fun.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
it was a local SD shaper Murphy from maybe '96 bought OTR new from Mitchs. I figured I'd have it forever, but I know nothing about LBs, but it was likely meant to be more of the HPLB (oxymoron) style that was popular at the time- or at least a hybrid- than a trad log. It wanted to be surfed from the tail, but I'd rather just cruise when I do ride a big boar in knee-to-waist high dribblers.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
Nice score!

I ran the Skip Frye because that seems obvious for a glider. I can't remember what size, probably either 8 or 9.

6.5" in my 11'

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yes but how much less weight you talkin here aruka? I have a 8' mini log ewing pintail 5 fin MC bonzer that glides and grovels good but it also has a 6/6 6 S glass pu/epoxy. Only limit is actual toes over hang ten but can do 10 and 5v's are no problem and if surf is good still tons of fun.
Nice. So my situation is that I have a Stretch LB that I got from JDJ. I can't remember the length, 9'4" maybe? It's a big board and it definitely handles some pretty small surf but I can't help but feel like something with less rocker might be more fun in tiny mushy pt waves. I don't ride it often but I usually have a lot of fun when I do. I'm guessing it's EPS but it's fairly heavy. It's probably silly to get something in the same range considering how often I ride a big board and I'm not looking to spend 2k on something but if I can find a deal on a used one on my way down south I might swoop. Just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for. I need to go back and read the whole thread I guess.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Nice. So my situation is that I have a Stretch LB that I got from JDJ. I can't remember the length, 9'4" maybe? It's a big board and it definitely handles some pretty small surf but I can't help but feel like something with less rocker might be more fun in tiny mushy pt waves. I don't ride it often but I usually have a lot of fun when I do. I'm guessing it's EPS but it's fairly heavy. It's probably silly to get something in the same range considering how often I ride a big board and I'm not looking to spend 2k on something but if I can find a deal on a used one on my way down south I might swoop. Just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for. I need to go back and read the whole thread I guess.
Sounds like you need/want a nose rider a log with pig shape, 50/50 rails, and D shape fin. Most Good nose riders have some weight and start at 9'6":shaka: May want to stop in Ventura surf shop check out logs but doubtful on the cheap.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I was out with Andreini a couple years ago, same day that I got inspired to order my Vacquero, he was riding a hybrid glider Serena I think it was 9'6". Friggin flying and styling on HH waves. Seems like it would be a good one to have for grovel/glide and then potentially a crowd killer too, that you could even almost duck dive, but you could actually have some control in waves with push. His board are art.

Reactions: urchined and Aruka

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Swapped the 8” Greenough on my 9”2” Chris Craft so I could get my freak on with a 6.5” Skipper. pushed it back a little in the box. Made a huge difference. Less drag, more glide, smoother through turns and rail transitions. This is the way.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Doesn't have to be a D Fin mega log, but yeah, Stretch isn't known for his loggy Retro boards.

The guys at The Surfboard Collective get some good stuff in and Travis could guide you in a solid direction.
https://www.thesurfboardcollective.com/collections/unsold/products/swt

I limited my search on The Board Source to longboards under 1k and there are a few.
https://theboardsource.com/product/10-x-23-x-3-1-4-roy-sanchez-modern-noserider-longboard-surfboard/

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Reactions: trifish

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
beautiful oct morning with 75 degree air and 70 degree water . 1-2 and clean. took out the glider and caught more waves than I could count in a 60 minute session.

Thinking about a mini glider for larger windswell days . Anyone compare the ultra flat tracker to the C bucket? Mitzen boards look fantastic and I'd love one but I can get a CC OTR here.

Reactions: oeste858

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Went for a quick one at the beach this morning. Nothing special but the manta made the 1-3' peaks fun. A contest was getting set up, guess I'm not surfing here this weekend.