Gliders....

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I've ridden that board at head high middles. It was either Wade's or Mike's (last name to protect the innocent) at the time. Unbelievably responsive glider. Felt more like a gun. Super fun board.

Gliders REALLY light up in head high + lined up surf. Speed, trim, poise....there's not another feeling like it in surfing.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I've ridden that board at head high middles. It was either Wade's or Mike's (last name to protect the innocent) at the time. Unbelievably responsive glider. Felt more like a gun. Super fun board.

Gliders REALLY light up in head high + lined up surf. Speed, trim, poise....there's not another feeling like it in surfing.
pretty crazy how well it climbs and turns for such a big board. i blame the rocker and the 5' of panel vee out the back. feels like ur flying

Reactions: bluengreen and Mr J

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
pretty crazy how well it climbs and turns for such a big board. i blame the rocker and the 5' of panel vee out the back. feels like ur flying
The heavy vee panel! YES! Great take on the board coming from up north which would make sense with their type of waves above point conception.

Old photo me around 2008 on a 10'6" Mabile double ender. Oceanside Harbor morning on a 6' high tide and super lined up.

IMG_8500.jpg

JJMike

OTF status
Oct 11, 2014
Orange County, Ca
So 10 glider too small? Looking at 9’6 thick lizzy in the future
Not too small imo. Not quite the same Cadillac glide and mega early entry. But 9’6 can still motor with much easier transport and storage.

9’6 of rail on clean face fees amazing. 11’ of rail amazinger.

In my experience the double eagle types has a unique feeling and addictive feeling with those big concaves out the back. More hover than glide. The panel v style (just eagle?) can whip around turns really tight when you get back on the tail and just flies.

Reactions: Havoc

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Can you duck dive normally on these when it’s overhead ? …or is turtle flipping needed?
Lots of good timing and turtle rolling :LOL: . I don't typically ride them in beach breaks. Generally reef and points which is much more manageable in getting out when it gets bigger. They paddle like crazy so timing can be a bit easier. Sometimes I forget what I'm riding and legit try to duck dive it. These special moments are always good for a laugh because the board won't go anywhere, and you get a split second to realize your stupidity before you get obliterated.