Glassing bottleneck?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Had a board shaped quickly months ago in San Diego - it's going to be epoxy, and there appears to be very few glassers who handle this in my area. I could have gone PU and probably already had my board... but I prefer epoxy double 6 top and bottom. If I'm paying almost 1k for a custom with all the bells and whistles, that sh!t better last!

Reactions: JDJ

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Waiting is the worst if you decide to go custom next time rs surf builds boards at reasonable prices and usually done in 2-3 months. Barry snyder is the fastest I dealt with so better have the money ready when he tells you your board is ready in a week or two.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Had a board shaped quickly months ago in San Diego - it's going to be epoxy, and there appears to be very few glassers who handle this in my area. I could have gone PU and probably already had my board... but I prefer epoxy double 6 top and bottom. If I'm paying almost 1k for a custom with all the bells and whistles, that sh!t better last!
Do you mean you could've gone PE "polyester" ? This was precovid but Pure Glass did excellent job on both my Malcom Campbell bonzers pu/epoxy S glass 6/6 6 and 6/4 6 both had color:shaka:

Reactions: maybe

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
How heavy are those boards?
The 6/6 6 is a ewing mini log so I wanted some weight but still pretty light compared to other log heavy glass jobs done for strength. My other 6/4 6 is a alpha omega and more interested in longevity then airs plus nice travel board. Compared to my CFT medium same schedule more weight for sure but I do not do airs etc and like heavier boards well built.

Reactions: JDJ

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I've been going epoxy double 6 top and bottom on everything from a 6''3 5-fin to a 9'4 single fin - no dings or delams.
Before that, my polyurethane boards would always delam or ding at some point - and I baby my boards - always conscious to keep them out of the sun and heat - and no dark color jobs.