Glass on vs Futures - unscientific experiment….

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
The flow off the glass on is smoother, which probably means it'll 'grab' the water more. Meaning you won't get as quick a release as you might want. Like a squared off rail versus a 50/50 rail. The Futures will probably be faster, if even just a hair, which is a good thing IMO.

Edit: That said, you know I love and miss glass-ons.

Reactions: diegof_carpintero

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Seriously - that was the huge PITA.

Aside (I've mentioned this before): I had a great Al Merrick shaped board. Truly an Al shape, not just his name on it. Had glass-ons. Brought it to Fiji with 3 other boards with fin systems and used the Al shape most of the time. That board was awesome. I desperately did NOT want to repack it for the trip home so sold it to a boatman for super super cheap. Stupid cheap - meaning $100. Did it so I wouldn't have to deal with packing the boards so the glass-ons were in the block and fins in with the other boards providing insulation, and the rails covered and the noses protected and and and and and.

To this day I regret that sale.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'll go this far, Malcolm prefers the glass-ons. For fin systems, he has to alter the bottom design slightly to accommodate. The best single fin boards I ever had all had glass ons. But on the other side of that equation, I have had boards that I thought were total dogs that had a box. And I changed out fins/moved fins and the board lit up. I shudder to think how many boards with glass-ons I probably rejected over the years that simply needed a fin adjustment.

I had twin recently that had glass ons. Keel fins with double foils. The board was a dog. Barely worked. I almost took a chainsaw to it. Instead, out of professional curiosity, (I couldn't understand how the board wasn't working) I had someone grind/knock the fins off and put boxes in. Slightly different position. Board went off. ymmv. :shrug:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'll go this far, Malcolm prefers the glass-ons. For fin systems, he has to alter the bottom design slightly to accommodate. The best single fin boards I ever had all had glass ons. But on the other side of that equation, I have had boards that I thought were total dogs that had a box. And I changed out fins/moved fins and the board lit up. I shudder to think how many boards with glass-ons I probably rejected over the years that simply needed a fin adjustment.

I had twin recently that had glass ons. Keel fins with double foils. The board was a dog. Barely worked. I almost took a chainsaw to it. Instead, out of professional curiosity, (I couldn't understand how the board wasn't working) I had someone grind/knock the fins off and put boxes in. Slightly different position. Board went off. ymmv. :shrug:
What are your thoughts on putting the NVS Kraken set in the AO?

Reactions: Sharky

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Better flow with glass on. Better adhesion. Probably translates to more hold/less release.
Actually what I see is that the water on the glass on is going more vertically up the fin. Remember that deflection I was talking about? What's missing in your test is the water that would be flowing fore/aft right above the fin root. I doubt the deflection has a noticeable effect.

He has said that the glass-ons are better suited to the design and that he adjusts the bottom contours for Futures/FCS.
Putting boxes right where two concaves meet means sanding down the edges of the box and compromising sturctural intergrity. ven worse are channels. You cannot put a fin (in a box) right on the edge of a channel.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Actually what I see is that the water on the glass on is going more vertically up the fin. Remember that deflection I was talking about? What's missing in your test is the water that would be flowing fore/aft right above the fin root. I doubt the deflection has a noticeable effect.
admittedly my water flow test wasn’t ideal.
You cannot put a fin (in a box) right on the edge of a channel.
Sure you can…

IMG_5813.jpeg

Reactions: stringcheese

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Do you see show the inside edge of the fin will be 1/2" away from the channel? Depending on the depth of the channel you carve away a sizeable chunk of the box/plugs = compromised structural integrity.
Pic is a little deceiving. I’ve seen this board in person with fins on it. The inside foil on 80/20 quad rears sits right on the channel edge.

Front fins are slightly offfset. Board was a one off and judging by the general lack of pressures I saw on this retired board it wasn’t ridden much at all.

Another was made with curved channels that got more use and the fins were not lined up with the channel edges.

Reactions: One-Off

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
My curved channel CI boards have FCS plugs generally in line with the channel. It's basically an extension of the fin's side. Talk about drive!

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Rode the DA AO in some real waves today. I’m going out on limb a little here because it’s possible that I have been mentally compromised by expectations but I’ll spout off anyway.

The board felt faster, looser, more squirrelly, less “attached” overall. It seemed to have less of that “bonzer feel”. Not saying this is good or bad, just different.

Several things factor into the equation. I am a few surfs detached from the PU/PE AO and rode different boards in between. The PU/PE board was noticeably heavier than the PU/DA. The PU board has a gloss coat.

Similarities are same design, exact same dims, same fins.

Thinking of putting on some bigger fins on the DA. Maybe try the Pangs or pick up some NVS Orcas.

Or the NVS T Knox?….

to be continued…..

PS: these boards are sofa king fast.

• Wow
Reactions: sh3 and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
…The board felt faster, looser, more squirrelly, less “attached” overall. It seemed to have less of that “bonzer feel”. Not saying this is good or bad, just different.
TBH, that first impression doesn’t surprise me. I could apply your description to the DAs I’ve had/tried- particularly “less attached“ (which is also how I’d articulate the difference between DA vs Varial carbon).
I like all that for small-weak-mushy waves. My DA superchunk feels like Marty McFly’s hovercraft skteboar, and is a blast.
But that would be my hesitation for a DA in more powerful / good waves.
I know you have DA townsend and ghost. How does the feel compare to AO? I imagine the extra weight of an added layer of glass (like the ghost) would make a difference in decent waves.
Next time you’re down in SD, we’ll have to surf them together and compare. For science!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
TBH, that first impression doesn’t surprise me. I could apply your description to the DAs I’ve had/tried- particularly “less attached“ (which is also how I’d articulate the difference between DA vs Varial carbon).
I like all that for small-weak-mushy waves. My DA superchunk feels like Marty McFly’s hovercraft skteboar, and is a blast.
But that would be my hesitation for a DA in more powerful / good waves.
I know you have DA townsend and ghost. How does the feel compare to AO? I imagine the extra weight of an added layer of glass (like the ghost) would make a difference in decent waves.
Next time you’re down in SD, we’ll have to surf them together and compare. For science!
I haven’t ridden the ghost in any real waves. Also, the ghost is at my lower end for volume so it sinks in the water more. The Townsend works really good in solid surf but I do think a PU/PE version the same size might be better in some ways. I ride the Townsend like a shortboard and the extremely light weight of it helps with that.

My DA Plasmic is something else altogether. Extremely light and very floaty for how short it is. Perfect combo for what it does - small wave fun.

The AO has a PU blank with stringer so it’s closer in weight to a normal PU/PE shortboard but much lighter than your AO you just got from me.

Today I rode the DA AO in waves a couple feet overhead, wind blowing into the face, slight cheese chop (let’s just call it “Rincon”) and it worked just fine.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Probably 20 years ago FCS came out with a fin set that had some sort of boot at the base of the fins to create the flow of glass ons. Only ever saw the marketing for them but never actually saw them in a shop.

Question though: Do we really want the flow of water from the bottom of the board climbing up the fins the way it does with glass ons?
yes. The fillet provides better flow. Water tends to "pile up" or "puddle" at the intersection of the boar and fin. The fillet is more hydrodynamic. And probably provides better hold