"Gator" paroled

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021

Holy moly. Forgot about this one. A bunch of us had his boards as kids. Back then we were easily suckered by cool skate graphics, which Gator definitely had. His model was legit thought because it had cool graphics and also an aggressive outline at the time and a pretty deep concave. Looks like he has served 30 of the 31 years sentenced. I dont think I could have done 30 years. Sounds like the family is devastated that he is getting released, understandably so, nothing could be long enough. Wow total shocker. Dont know what to think. Is he rehabilitated? 30 years. Holy sheet. What a blast from the past. Should he be free- has he done his time and now deserves to be free as the court decided? Was it long enough? Can you imagine 30 years locked up? I dunno. Crazy. Can he transition into some sort of productive role in society? Certainly talent wasted. Unbelievable. Thrasher was on newspaper stock back then- thats how long ago this was. Such a sad situation for all involved.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2022-06-15/da-fighting-parole-granted-to-former-skateboard-star-convicted-of-1991-carlsbad-rape-murder

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Should have been a death penalty case. Was sentenced to 31 to life. My understanding of a sentence of 31 years to life (correct me if I'm wrong) is that they don't even have to let him out after the 31 years........that letting him out is just an option after 31 years....and the parole board has the option of never letting him out. I prefer the "To Life" portion of the sentence. He raped and murdered a 22 year old girl and dumped her body along a road. He should under no circumstances ever be set free.

The quote below is all you need to know about the situation:

"Rogowski has been serving a sentence of 31 years-to-life for the murder of Jessica Bergsten. The victim’s family members are devastated by the decision"

So long as the victim has any remaining living family and so long as any one of them disapprove of his parole there is no way in hell he should EVER be released from prison. FVCK him.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This all depends on whether or not you believe criminals can be rehabilitated.

Also, was Mark sane at the time of the murder? Didn't seem like it.

How old was he at the time? 23? He was still under 25, bipolar. Did CTE played a role?

If I had my way I'm 95% sure I'd have him locked up for life.

But under the current rules he should be paroled, IMO.

He was already approved once and Newsom reversed the decision.

Now he's approved again.

Since Newsom is going to be running for POTUSA I'm sure he'll reverse the decision a second time.

That's just dumb, under the current rules.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I bet if I killed my girl friend and put her in my board bag and buried her in the dessert, I wouldn't get parole

Don't ask me how I know this.

I do

So I don't

At least he found Jesus.

If I was a girl, I still wouldn't trust him.

Once a girl friend killer bury her in the dessert in a board bag skater, always a a girl friend killer bury her in the dessert in a board bag skater.

That is what I say.

He just needs to have a bad day and a couple of hits off the crack pipe.

Autoprax

Reactions: Badger_Badger

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I agree with above posters.

prison is a controlled environment with no access to drugs or alcohol.

what happens when someone like this is released and they turn to drugs/alcohol?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I agree with above posters.

prison is a controlled environment with no access to drugs or alcohol.

what happens when someone like this is released and they turn to drugs/alcohol?
Probably recidivism if recidivism statistics are accurate.

The POS murdered the young lady, she has no second chance. How must her family and friends feel?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Her family’s feelings shouldn’t have anything to do with it.
I disagree with you 100% on that one. He murdered that girl in cold blood and desecrated her body. As his sentence is 31-years to life they should have the most powerful say in when and if he ever gets out of prison. The girl killed was not the only victim of this monster.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I was at our local surf/skate shop around '87 and there was a "meet-and-greet" sort of deal happening. Gator and a lesser pro showed up to skate in our sh!tty parking lot. As it's well documented, Gator sucks at street skating and was hardly impressive. He fell doing something simple and lost his board. A little kid came up to him to give him back his board - and Gator flipped out... smacking the board away and yelling. I knew he was tweaked in the head a few years before he truly snapped and killed that girl.

Fvck Gator - spend your life in prison and hope your Savior rescues you.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mark had a lot of issues in his past.

He's been able to move beyond some of those issues.

It's weird whenever I drive past his old place in Carlsbad. Or the Coyote Mountains.

That must've been an intense journey.

Mark couldn't handle it. He wasn't wired for that sort of thing.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Casa, how do you know that he has been able to move past his "issues?"
You are a kook on a number of levels and have never even had a conversation with him.
I've spent time with him and a few other pros from that era... he was sick back then.
But please tell us more about what you don't know.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
In cases like this, it should require unanimous approval of the family of the victim to EVER be considered for release. If that means he's in there for another 50 years and dies inside, so be it.
No victim's family should have any input as to the sentencing and/or release of any criminal. That is some serious waaaaay backwards thinking.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
No victim's family should have any input as to the sentencing and/or release of any criminal. That is some serious waaaaay backwards thinking.
In America, crime victims and/or their families often make statements at sentencing, especially in serious crimes such as murder and rape. IDK if they have that right at a parole hearing, but I believe the prosecuting attorney (representing the people) does.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
In America, crime victims and/or their families often make statements at sentencing, especially in serious crimes such as murder and rape. IDK if they have that right at a parole hearing, but I believe the prosecuting attorney (representing the people) does.
I understand they can speak at some point during the trial, but they should have zero say in the sentencing.