Futures Fins and FF box install related

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Doing some due diligence before I start the summer time project purchasing spree.

Thinking of using Future Fins.

(All?) The fins that fit these boxes have the cant built in, correct?

Or would I have to do something during the install of the boxes to set the correct angle?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I thought so, but nice to have confirmation.

By the way, if you put fiberglass fins in boiling hot water for about a minute (or longer), you think they'd get then them soft enough to bend in a little more cant?

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
Mr Doof said:
I thought so, but nice to have confirmation.

By the way, if you put fiberglass fins in boiling hot water for about a minute (or longer), you think they'd get then them soft enough to bend in a little more cant?
No.
Even if you could, how would control or measure the added cant?
Or do it evenly?
Less concave between fins = more cant.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
With a lever, a block (of wood), a jig, and a vise.

But now it seems like it can't happen. Which is for the best, because what I was envisioning was more complicated than tilting the boxes.

Am planning a flat bottom board, mainly for easy of construction.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Not really the popular thing to do, but the easiest way to get exactly the cant you want is to just do glass-ons.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The last board I made had glass on fins: the homemade red fish.

Actually, glassing them on was easy and inexpensive, but alas, my glassing skills, while getting better, aren't that great.

(The Pro-Box install I did on previous boards looks better, and with the insert angle adjustment thing, was tune-able to a degree.)

This board will be an improvement on it and am seeking Future install because, well, I now have two boards with Future Fins.

Thanks for the offer, Averagejoe. I will see how things progress before I get to that stage. Still collecting data.