Future flex

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any reviews to share of the psychedelic germ? How does it paddle, handle overhead waves, wind chop etc.? Hear great things about it.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any reviews to share of the psychedelic germ? How does it paddle, handle overhead waves, wind chop etc.? Hear great things about it.
I've ridden quite a few Haydenshapes' models and the Psychedelic Germ was my favorite. I owned their: Psychedelic Germ, Unit Shifter, Ando, Hypto Krypto and a Love Buzz and Awayco'd their Holy Grail and Untitled. The Germ was the only one that stood out to me. I got them all custom through Pureglass all in FF. My PG was 5'8 and I rode it in pretty much everything up to 3-4' overhead. I'm 6' and fluctuate between 168 and 176 pounds. I recently played around with Haydenshapes' HSStudio to figure out the exact dimensions I had, but something must be different since I had mine about 10 years ago. I'm almost positive mine was 5'8" x 19 1/4" x 2 3/8", but those dimensions come out at 26.73L and mine was closer to 28L.

The Germ was great for my local beach in Redondo and was my main board for all but the biggest days locally for over a year. For my 40th (9 years ago) I stayed at Mark & Dave's in Nicaragua and brought four boards. I just threw the Germ in the bag just in case I broke the three new HPSB's I brought. The surf never dropped below head high and was consistently well overhead. I tried the new boards and they were perfectly fine, but it was too hard to get off the Germ. The only waves it didn't work in was the DOH+ days out front at Panga Drops. I had to borrow a friend's 6'6" since that's a pretty tough wave to catch and definitely my least favorite wave in the region. We surfed really windy/sideshore Playgrounds and the FF Germ seemed to fair just as well as my friends on their PU's.

This was the typical size down at (It's about a five minute walk down from M&D's) Colorado's while we were there and I'm on the Germ.

Last edited:

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Awesome review, thanks! The dims seem pretty low for saying its a shorter wider shape, maybe because it's older and needs updating. I'm 6'4 and would need a 6'4 for my volume, taller and wider than my black noiz.

Reactions: ChaseTMP