Fun waves, a family, at New Years- El Sal, Nica, or CR, or?

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Ok, I know there's so many convos about Central America etc but I'm having a tough time getting through them all and seems places are booking up already.
I'm in NorCal. I'm turning 50 and just want some warm water and fun waves. I surf good, mostly longboard board now but who knows haha. 8 yr old son and wife are beginners mostly. Money is not much an issue.
We'd like to wake up to a view of the ocean.
Besides Central America, other suggestions are appreciated. How's Noosa around New Years?

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina
Feb 29, 2024
www.eazyfares.com
Noosa, Australia, would be the ideal destination for your vacation. Noosa is renowned for its beautiful beaches, consistent surf, and laid-back atmosphere.
The main break at Noosa Heads offers long, peeling waves that are perfect for longboarding. Additionally, you can easily find beachfront accommodations with stunning ocean views.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Noosa, Australia, would be the ideal destination for your vacation. Noosa is renowned for its beautiful beaches, consistent surf, and laid-back atmosphere.
The main break at Noosa Heads offers long, peeling waves that are perfect for longboarding. Additionally, you can easily find beachfront accommodations with stunning ocean views.
Do you work for Noosa tourist bureau?

Reactions: Swallow Tail
Apr 30, 2022
From what I hear El Sal and Nica could be pretty tiny around new years; neither picks up up north swell. Though the Nicoya peninsula in CR does. South swells are pretty small from Dec-Feb ... But if you favor a long board then you'll find waves in all 3. CR would likely have bigger waves if you're looking at the averages.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
From what I hear El Sal and Nica could be pretty tiny around new years; neither picks up up north swell. Though the Nicoya peninsula in CR does. South swells are pretty small from Dec-Feb ... But if you favor a long board then you'll find waves in all 3. CR would likely have bigger waves if you're looking at the averages.
Right right, thank!. So far we're thinking Tamarindo...

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Ok, I know there's so many convos about Central America etc but I'm having a tough time getting through them all and seems places are booking up already.
I'm in NorCal. I'm turning 50 and just want some warm water and fun waves. I surf good, mostly longboard board now but who knows haha. 8 yr old son and wife are beginners mostly. Money is not much an issue.
We'd like to wake up to a view of the ocean.
Besides Central America, other suggestions are appreciated. How's Noosa around New Years?
Noosa is one of my favorite vacation destinations ever. Surf is somewhat inconsistent but it gets really good. December and January will be hot with very warm water. Basically perfect.

Reactions: dalton3c

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Noosa is one of my favorite vacation destinations ever. Surf is somewhat inconsistent but it gets really good. December and January will be hot with very warm water. Basically perfect.
But it's so faaaaaaaaaar haha. Any recommendations where to stay?

Jul 8, 2008
Got back from Nosara/Guiones a few weeks ago with my 12 year old and thought it was great. Lots of good options to stay within a short walk of the main break. Tons of people in the water but also a super long beach with a lot of working sand bars so crowd spread out pretty nicely. 5 hours of water time each day and crazy high wave count for both him and me even with the crowds.

Food was expensive..read meals were as much or more than CA..but the place is also user friendly.

Jul 8, 2008
How many peeps surfing in Nosara these days? did you surf any other breaks?
We did one quick session at Ostional. Two other people out. We possibly could have just surfed Ostional the entire time, but 40 min drive in rental on a rutted out road to Ostional vs 2 min walk to break at Guiones..Guiones won out. Crowds...not great, not that different than an average day in CA at most spots. But enough peaks were working so in a 2 hour session you still got plenty of waves.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Right right, thank!. So far we're thinking Tamarindo...
Tamarindo is a great vacation spot for the family, Nosara maybe even better. N swells with offshores (sometimes too much) -- good log waves. I can't say enough great things about the tour of La Leona Waterfall en El Rincon de la Vieja, about 45 mins from Tamarino. Best thing I've ever done in CR.

Expect to spend money.

Reactions: Goofy_Footed
Apr 30, 2022
Ah yes the roads in Costa Rica, still horrendous then? And eating out at restaurants pretty much American + prices akin to Hawaii these days?

Apr 30, 2022
I did the drive between Tamarindo to Nosara in April one year, was ok but lots of wash board and potholes and especially sh!t around Nosara. Made me end up canceling the plan to continue down to Santa Theresa and Mal Pais.

Though I am in Canada and our dollar keeps getting worse and worse so a trip to Costa Rica is pretty costly these days.

Jul 8, 2008
Ah yes the roads in Costa Rica, still horrendous then? And eating out at restaurants pretty much American + prices akin to Hawaii these days?
[/QU
We flew into Liberia and took the route south to Nicoya onto Samara and north to Nosara. Road was fine until about the last 15 miles or so and then it was crap. Didn't drive up to Tamarindo but the road from Nosara at least to San Juanillo was intermittent ok/paved to badly rutted out dirt road. This was my first time, I'd imagine those roads would really suck in the rainy season. For me it was just more annoying.

Food was pretty expensive. Went with my 12 year old son. Lunch every day was fish tacos and a beer (singular) and coke, and that ran around 30-40 usd at least. Dinner..again 2 people, 2-3 drinks for me and some sort of 6-7 dollar concoction for him..ran 80-100 usd.

Thankfully we scored on conditions!

Apr 30, 2022
crazy food prices there are on par with Hawaii, car rentals more expensive but fortunately accommodation is much cheaper.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
last. i was there was 2022 and the food prices were insane. tico bfast at a normal soda was over 10 bucks. in 2019 it was like 4 bucks. this is for the worst, blandest food in all of central america.

ship has sailed over there foodwise i car rentals quadrupled from 2019 to 2022/