Front foot traction convert – Will I be banned from the erBB?

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I live in Bali where the wax just melts off of my board. Especially when it sits in a board bag and I'm driving my motor bike 45 minutes to the beach in the heat. Front traction for the win!

Reactions: Lohena

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the concept of front traction but the only time I tried it I hated it and tore it off after one session. Felt like my bootie was always catching as I hopped up. Like ghostshaper said above, with booties on it feels like your foot is stuck in place.

I wanna try it again some time but with a slim front pad that doesn't have big knobbies.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I like the concept of front traction but the only time I tried it I hated it and tore it off after one session. Felt like my bootie was always catching as I hopped up. Like ghostshaper said above, with booties on it feels like your foot is stuck in place.

I wanna try it again some time but with a slim front pad that doesn't have big knobbies.
I'm waiting for my backordered SYMPL front corduroy pad. It's supposed to be thin so I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Quick update. Finally got my SYMPL corduroy front traction. It is pretty low profile and very grippy. It feels amazing when my foot is in the right spot, but for a toe dragger like my myself my foot frequently gets stuck. Can imagine booties would make it even more sticky.

Surprisingly, the cheaper Punt Surf front pad on my other board is still working amazing for me. Still no drawbacks, never slips or sticks too much. I think I'll stick with those.

To be clear though, the SYMPL pad is much higher quality and grippier, just not what I'm looking for.

Reactions: ehiunno and Aruka

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone try that ROSSPerot hexagram front traction? Mostly curious about the korc version and if it results in nipple death when surfing topless.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Bought a used board which had front traction. I think it was the Sympl corduroy. Was secretly curious to try it out on the first surf, but quickly realized that the guy must've had much shorter legs: the top of the pad came up to just below my ribcage so paddling was pretty uncomfortable. My foot was mostly just in front of the pad, but the times it found the pad, the traction seemed legit. Would've left it on if it was in the right spot. When I ripped it off afterwards it left a ton of glue to clean up. Don't really like the look of front pad so can't see trying one again. Maybe on my air board... LOL

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've been debating cork for my log. I would love to try it first, really don't want to have to deal with the glue if I don't like it.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Anyone used those hexagon stickers for front-foot traction that are floating around Insta?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Anyone used those hexagon stickers for front-foot traction that are floating around Insta?
Seems like insta-fodder to me, but I can be wrong of course. Can't imagine that you can use it alone without adding a layer of wax.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I had a clear dakine one like those hexagons but a square, it worked ok and you just added a tiny amount of wax
Kind of pointless but worked well (wanted to show off my sick homemade spray job hahahaha)
When it started peeling off i oulled if off and it removed almost all the spray paint. FUUUUUUUU

It's been so damn hot down here tropical is melting like butter
Friend grabbed a wax trak? similar deal you just wax a but over the pattern and he liked it but he just went full front traction now and said hes never going back

Reactions: Lohena and Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I left a box of sticky bumps in my truck bed and now its melted and fused to bed, might have to wait till midday and get a scraper tool. Power wash didnt do anything

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I'd like to try the hexagon stuff because it looks thinner and provides more coverage than a pad. I just refuse to pay something like $60 for a product that I might hate and peel off after one session.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I had a clear dakine one like those hexagons but a square, it worked ok and you just added a tiny amount of wax
Kind of pointless but worked well (wanted to show off my sick homemade spray job hahahaha)
When it started peeling off i oulled if off and it removed almost all the spray paint. FUUUUUUUU

It's been so damn hot down here tropical is melting like butter
Friend grabbed a wax trak? similar deal you just wax a but over the pattern and he liked it but he just went full front traction now and said hes never going back
This?

Seems pretty cool, suppose it's just for show to keep your wax looking like you did a fancy pattern?

Reactions: Waterlogged05

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'd like to try the hexagon stuff because it looks thinner and provides more coverage than a pad. I just refuse to pay something like $60 for a product that I might hate and peel off after one session.
I've tried things like it, but not this exact product (I'm talking about the clear ones and not the cork).

The problems with them are:

1) Most of them don't have the tackiness that wax does so sometimes the board wants to slide out from under you when you're paddling (unless you're always wearing smooth skin)

2) Eventually it looses its grip and it always seems to happen right in the middle of a good session

I found that I liked it as a base coat but I always ended up putting a wax topcoat on.

Reactions: JDJ