Fred Rubble vs. Happy

Jan 14, 2016
I guess I'd categorize myself in the first category (hard to write that without adding "...I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"), but I don't see what design characteristics in the Fever make it more difficult to ride than most other HPSB's. I would go so far to say it's pretty user friendly. I can see a board like the Proton not being being the best choice for an intermediate, but if someone can generate their own speed, are figuring out the mechanics of roundhouse cutbacks without digging their outside rail, and getting up in the lip a little bit, I think many "intermediates" would like the Fever.
True, a lot of the challenge comes from its general HPSB-ness. But I do think that by current standards it's pretty heavy on the rocker. At least, every time I've laid it belly down on my kitchen floor next to another board, both nose and tail of the Fever come out at least .5" to 1" higher. CI bills the rocker as being "chopped", but compared to what?

Anyway, it was a difficult board for me to learn to surf. I had a hard time adjusting to how hard I had to paddle it to catch waves, and how precisely I need to place my feet. I sold my first one very quickly. Now I ride a custom XTR Fever at 5'10 X 18 5/8" X 2 3/8" @ 27 L, and I love it as long as the waves aren't mushy. YMMV.