Fred Rubble vs. Happy

Apr 6, 2015
Picked up a used Fred Rubble on CL which I've been riding a lot lately, and I LOVE it. Great board for my heavy front foot style, super easy to catch waves on and surf, and plenty of performance for the type of waves I ride. Will be my daily driver from waist to a bit overhead, far prefer it to other boards I've been riding for that range.

But I have a big fear - what happens when my already well-used board wears out??? The Rubble is no longer part of the CI line! All evidence of its existence has been expunged from the CI site!

I imagine (hope) I could still order a custom FR when my current one moves on. But it seems like the Happy was already positioned as the replacement for the Rubble's wave range and purpose. Have any of you ridden both? Thoughts on how they compare?

Reactions: Scott Ando

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
FR outline seems to have a little more curve. Also seems more foiled throughout (closer to 00s shortboards). Happy is pretty straight and has a bit more volume forward.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
FR outline seems to have a little more curve. Also seems more foiled throughout (closer to 00s shortboards). Happy is pretty straight and has a bit more volume forward.
Other than both being HPSBs with 3 fins, pointy noses and squash tails they are two totally different boards.

Apr 6, 2015
I called the CI shop yesterday - as mentioned above, you can definitely order a custom Rubble. Hopefully that will never change...

Interestingly, when I asked which board in their current lineup would be most similar to a Rubble if I wanted to buy off the rack - Happy, Fever, etc. - it became clear that none would really be a "descendent" of the Rubble. They're all pretty different rides. The Rubble appears to be its own thing...

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
I called the CI shop yesterday - as mentioned above, you can definitely order a custom Rubble. Hopefully that will never change...

Interestingly, when I asked which board in their current lineup would be most similar to a Rubble if I wanted to buy off the rack - Happy, Fever, etc. - it became clear that none would really be a "descendent" of the Rubble. They're all pretty different rides. The Rubble appears to be its own thing...
All correct.

First and foremost CI is a custom board builder.
We can build anything you want.
Rubble is simply a model name Conner picked out and we had to stop using it when he left.
The actual board design remains 100% usable.

And yes, Rubble is from different design/curve lineage than the Fever and Happy.
Conner had several 2nd gen options that he was running for years and couldn't land on what he wanted to continue with before he split.

Apr 6, 2015
Rubble is simply a model name Conner picked out and we had to stop using it when he left.
The actual board design remains 100% usable.

And yes, Rubble is from different design/curve lineage than the Fever and Happy.
Thanks for confirmation on the above. :shaka:

Out of curiosity, what was the design lineage on the Rubble? I had an original (not OG) Flyer and an MX, both of which I loved, and the Rubble feels kinda like they had a baby. I also had a number of MBBs over the years, and the Rubble has some similarities with that (mainly as regards paddling), although in a much shorter package.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Thanks for confirmation on the above. :shaka:

Out of curiosity, what was the design lineage on the Rubble? I had an original (not OG) Flyer and an MX, both of which I loved, and the Rubble feels kinda like they had a baby. I also had a number of MBBs over the years, and the Rubble has some similarities with that (mainly as regards paddling), although in a much shorter package.
Little hazy on dates, but yes the MBB3 shortboard rocker (early 90s) was cut down/widened to give birth to the Flyer, (the MBB was a larger version of MBB3)

And much of the guts of the Flyer did get used for the Rubble.

The MX (low entry with tail kick) was on the exact opposite of the family tree MBB3 (more entry less exit rocker). The MX and MBB3 were built side by side for many years through the 90s.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Little hazy on dates, but yes the MBB3 shortboard rocker (early 90s) was cut down/widened to give birth to the Flyer, (the MBB was a larger version of MBB3)

And much of the guts of the Flyer did get used for the Rubble.

The MX (low entry with tail kick) was on the exact opposite of the family tree MBB3 (more entry less exit rocker). The MX and MBB3 were built side by side for many years through the 90s.
I was told that the Rubble used the same blank as the Flyer. Don’t know if that’s true and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Definitely get a Fever.

Amazing board for an advanced surfer.

Hard board to ride for an intermediate surfer, but once you get it dialed you'll have improved significantly.
I guess I'd categorize myself in the first category (hard to write that without adding "...I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"), but I don't see what design characteristics in the Fever make it more difficult to ride than most other HPSB's. I would go so far to say it's pretty user friendly. I can see a board like the Proton not being being the best choice for an intermediate, but if someone can generate their own speed, are figuring out the mechanics of roundhouse cutbacks without digging their outside rail, and getting up in the lip a little bit, I think many "intermediates" would like the Fever.

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
I was told that the Rubble used the same blank as the Flyer. Don’t know if that’s true and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.
I am thinking you are referring to using the same machined blank or "CAD program"? If you are, then no, they are two distinctly different CAD files. You should be able to see that difference in the hips and nose width.

It is possible that they could share a raw blank which is not uncommon as there are only so many to choose from. Diving deeper, the better manufacturers have custom deck rockers to exactly match the intended deck line of the finished board (to prevent from cutting deep into the deck) and without looking the two decklines could be close enough to share a raw blank but that's pretty inconsequential.

Again during the development stages there were parts of the Flyer that were borrowed to make the Rubble, but IMO that could be said for many designs from any board builder since the 90s.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I am thinking you are referring to using the same machined blank or "CAD program"? If you are, then no, they are two distinctly different CAD files. You should be able to see that difference in the hips and nose width.

It is possible that they could share a raw blank which is not uncommon as there are only so many to choose from. Diving deeper, the better manufacturers have custom deck rockers to exactly match the intended deck line of the finished board (to prevent from cutting deep into the deck) and without looking the two decklines could be close enough to share a raw blank but that's pretty inconsequential.

Again during the development stages there were parts of the Flyer that were borrowed to make the Rubble, but IMO that could be said for many designs from any board builder since the 90s.
Cool man, thanks.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Definitely get a Fever.

Amazing board for an advanced surfer.

Hard board to ride for an intermediate surfer, but once you get it dialed you'll have improved significantly.
I found the Fever to be really easy to ride. Like right away. First wave was like I’d been riding one all my life. And I don’t even really surf squash tail thrusters most of time.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

If you go to SB CI usually have sh!t load of blemished boards in back they used to have boards with dims on site.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The rubble was my everyday shortboard, a good allrounder which seemed to have an extra gear that came out when the waves were good and I was feeling coordinated.

Reactions: Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you go to SB CI usually have sh!t load of blemished boards in back they used to have boards with dims on site.
I don’t really want to bad mouth CI, particularly the Sb store. They’ve been real good to me for years and years.

However, if you choose to buy from the blem room you’d be wise to thoroughly inspect the board you are buying and determine exactly what the blem(s) is that put it in that room.

Some boards look totally fine. Best to scrutinize those boards a little extra.

Reactions: sdsrfr