Found my Dream Car

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
@afoaf posts have become increasingly negative lately. Maybe he has the 'rona. Or his ex is being a bitch again. Transference can be especially prevalent during the holidays.
I don't know why they're negative

He looks like he's DEFINITELY having the most fun right now according to the ol socials

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ooh i like that idea. we have windless days but they are few and far between

1000 watts between the solar and the wind? that's like, a light bulb and a refrigerator? More?

A nice solid Generac full-house unit mounted above the flood line would be like 10,000 watts? I am so not the handy person, i have no idea what I'm talking about
Though I know some people in SF who have approximately 1500 square feet of solar on the roof and they "make' $20-200 a month on payback from PG&E, I think a decent battery system and micro-turbine would be able to go in quicker and cheaper, and pay for itself sooner.

When I first looked at rooftop solar, was about $25,000 for 1250 sq ft and with out power charges of approximately $100 a month, well, just wasn't feasible. The math would change if we had electric vehicle or if installation cost was halved.

This is what spurred me to looking at micro-turbine. Much lower costs even with decent battery system. Windy foggy SF is prime space for this sort of system....except for all the neighbors who might object to visual and auditory aspects.

Reactions: npsp

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I’m on Long Beach. We have a nice quiet little block but we are all built cheek to jowl. If I put one on the sunny/breezy corner where it would be most suited, it would literally be spinning around outside 3 different houses bedrooms. Maybe the roof? Our roof is flat ish in parts, very sunny and windy obviously up there

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm laughing the whole time, but you can't see that part
I actually believe this and yes the new re boot is kind of cringe. I’m vain, sue me :poke:
the 15 year old 328 with only 76k on it still does 150 without a peep. We’ll be driving that thing for years and years. We put like 4k miles on it per year and it lives in a garage

hell the grand Cherokees these days make 100 feel like 60 without a whisper

Reactions: keenfish

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't know why they're negative

He looks like he's DEFINITELY having the most fun right now according to the ol socials
I hate the holidays!

I'm stressing on this job sh!t....I feel like I've been more snarky but in a lulzy way...I have definitely been very mean to Griffin and Duffy though

I actually believe this and yes the new re boot is kind of cringe.
I fkn love the old school defenders...there are a few of the legit safari style 2-door and 4-door in this hood and it's probably the one luxury vehicle I would buy. they are so.bad.ass. I'd probably go bankrupt trying to maintain it though

Reactions: Ifallalot

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
My dream car--don't laugh...the Mexicans down in Baja Sur would love this thing, that's where I got the idea...great for off-road (where I live), sips gas. My neighbors buy Rhinos and the like for their off-road vehicle but man, those things are expensive, can't take 'em to town, etc. This one was an absolute score--'97 Geo Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick), literally owned by an old lady, 36,000 original miles (unheard of), don't think it had ever been on dirt. Love this thing for running around my extensive dirt roads.
We live off-grid so our only power bill is that firewood pile back there, keeps the house warm so the FAU doesn't come on, and a back-up generator that used to be in an indoor pot grow. We're actually not home now, just drove down to San Diego (Jamul) for Christmas and with the extended cut-off low rainy period happening up there now I had to set the gennie timer to come on once a day to keep the batteries charged. The batteries are cool--Tesla batteries recycled out of smart cars, got them from a place down here in San Marcos called EV West. If you live down here you should check 'em out, they convert any VW-type cars to electric. Would love to electrify this thing, that would be cool. Cheers and Happy Holidaze!

4XAQRFQZTo6buyUgWHAGyQ.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I actually believe this and yes the new re boot is kind of cringe. I’m vain, sue me :poke:
the 15 year old 328 with only 76k on it still does 150 without a peep. We’ll be driving that thing for years and years. We put like 4k miles on it per year and it lives in a garage

hell the grand Cherokees these days make 100 feel like 60 without a whisper
My dream car--don't laugh...the Mexicans down in Baja Sur would love this thing, that's where I got the idea...great for off-road (where I live), sips gas. My neighbors buy Rhinos and the like for their off-road vehicle but man, those things are expensive, can't take 'em to town, etc. This one was an absolute score--'97 Geo Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick), literally owned by an old lady, 36,000 original miles (unheard of), don't think it had ever been on dirt. Love this thing for running around my extensive dirt roads.
We live off-grid so our only power bill is that firewood pile back there, keeps the house warm so the FAU doesn't come on, and a back-up generator that used to be in an indoor pot grow. We're actually not home now, just drove down to San Diego (Jamul) for Christmas and with the extended cut-off low rainy period happening up there now I had to set the gennie timer to come on once a day to keep the batteries charged. The batteries are cool--Tesla batteries recycled out of smart cars, got them from a place down here in San Marcos called EV West. If you live down here you should check 'em out, they convert any VW-type cars to electric. Would love to electrify this thing, that would be cool. Cheers and Happy Holidaze!

View attachment 121203
what's crazy is you still see A TON of these in mountain towns here in the US

same with the old subies

100 years old and still going strong!

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
When I'm not running the AC - which is 2/3 to 3/4 of the year, yes they will. When I'm not, well so I'm relying on the grid too. Still better than puking an equivalent amount of coal exhaust into the atmosphere. (we use coal in SCarolina mostly).
It’s asinine we’re (as a society) are skipping over the obvious renewable choice of nuclear

Reactions: hammies

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I follow a pretty good auto auction site, Bring a Trailer (BaT). For the posters re P1800 comments in this thread There are 8 days to go on the auction (opening bid was $7500).

”This 1972 Volvo 1800E is said to have been refurbished and modified in the late 1990s, and it is finished in metallic red with silver stripes over black leather upholstery. Power is provided by a 2.0-liter inline-four mated to a four-speed manual transmission with overdrive, and additional equipment includes an upgraded camshaft, 15″ alloy wheels, a backdated “egg crate” grille, air conditioning, a Blaupunkt radio, Bilstein shock absorbers, IPD sway bars, and a disconnected nitrous-injection system. The car was acquired by the seller in November 2021, and subsequent work involved replacement of various trim pieces. This 1800E is offered with spare parts, refurbishment photos, service records, and a clean Michigan title in the seller’s name… etc., etc.)”281F190A-8730-447F-B69D-7906E1B892C6.jpeg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

View attachment 121203
You da man! :bowdown:

You’d see a lot of those as rentals here after the VW Safari time. I had a Safari that had been mexicanada to the max. Fun on dirt roads.

I spent Christmas in Jamul in 1972. Buncha dope smokin hippies.

Reactions: Icu812

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It’s asinine we’re (as a society) are skipping over the obvious renewable choice of nuclear
Agreed. It ain’t Chernobyl or even 3 mile island anymore. Good safe modern and reliable nuke would make a whole lot of problems go away. I mean Christ, for decades the navy has been sailing around MILES UNDER THE OCEAN living cheek by jowl in a small steel tube with NUCLEAR POWER REACTORS right next to nuclear WARHEADS. Same on their Aircraft carriers. How many times did they melt down and radiate entire port cities? Over nearly 70 years. Never. Chernobyl was a poorly built disaster from the beginning, built as it was in the quickly crumbling and brain starved Soviet Union

We can build small safe plants and power the entire country with the right political will and financial interests aligned. That’s the only way it gets done. The fat cats, politicos, and illuminati types gotta get their taste, and the greenies have to be convinced it can be done safely for generations to come. Then, we get on the nuclear train and off the oil tip. We can still use the AMPLE oil still in existence for its countless OTHER uses, but for the big guzzlers, like homes and cars and shipping vessels and cities etc, hell entire countries, can be powered cheaply and easily and safely: for them it’s nuke plants FTW

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Agreed. It ain’t Chernobyl or even 3 mile island anymore. Good safe modern and reliable nuke would make a whole lot of problems go away. I mean Christ, for decades the navy has been sailing around MILES UNDER THE OCEAN living cheek by jowl in a small steel tube with NUCLEAR POWER REACTORS right next to nuclear WARHEADS. Same on their Aircraft carriers. How many times did they melt down and radiate entire port cities? Over nearly 70 years. Never. Chernobyl was a poorly built disaster from the beginning, built as it was in the quickly crumbling and brain starved Soviet Union

We can build small safe plants and power the entire country with the right political will and financial interests aligned. That’s the only way it gets done. The fat cats, politicos, and illuminati types gotta get their taste, and the greenies have to be convinced it can be done safely for generations to come. Then, we get on the nuclear train and off the oil tip. We can still use the AMPLE oil still in existence for its countless OTHER uses, but for the big guzzlers, like homes and cars and shipping vessels and cities etc, hell entire countries, can be powered cheaply and easily and safely: for them it’s nuke plants FTW
You’d make a great casket salesman.

My dad did road tests during the mid 60’s through the mid 70’s, here’s a few of my favorites
BE31FA01-A4F0-434D-8B06-2D813824FAE5.jpeg
65 Shelby Cobra (289) muscle plus
03987E29-5B63-4C42-8334-7E16A39E372D.jpeg
65 Shelby GT350. Plenty beef
0EC21AFC-729C-447C-B639-D71A68EE4F5F.jpeg
73 911S neat car, surprising power