Fort Ord Campground

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Did basic training at Fort Ord in early 1966. I can’t begin to imagine how much ordinance was sent into the dunes from the hundreds of thousands of draftees and volunteer GIs who went through Ord during WWII, Korea, VN, etc. Prime property if the lead and ordinance can be properly removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Did basic training at Fort Ord in early 1966. I can’t begin to imagine how much ordinance was sent into the dunes from the hundreds of thousands of draftees and volunteer GIs who went through Ord during WWII, Korea, VN, etc. Prime property if the lead and ordinance can be properly removed.
From the article:

"At Fort Ord, crews 20 years ago removed 700,000 pounds of lead bullets from firing ranges near the sand dunes with giant sifting machines and shipped contaminated soil to offsite landfills.
State parks planners have designed the campsite away from the firing ranges, on an area near ammunition bunkers that was partly covered with asphalt. As part of the project they will convert one of the bunkers to an interpretive exhibit on the military history."

This is a great project, it seems to me. Accessible and low cost camping and park accommodations next to a beautiful stretch of coastline.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Back when I was a kid that whole area used to be the shooting ranges for the troops.

Fort Ord back then was a major training base/jumping off point for Viet Nam.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
7th Army Light Calvary.

A lot of ammo got shot into those dunes. On the other side of the freeway, the East Garrison. They still have these big, controlled burns to take out the brush but primarily to explode all of the old ordinance.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Never surfed along that stretch.

The really good sandbars never seemed to travel down much farther than Marina SB. From the Salinas rivermouth.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I remember when the parking lot from the officer’s club went tumbling down the cliff. Some fun waves during that stretch. My brother works for Granite construction and had a key to get into to that area.