foiling podcasts

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've been taking a tool in the water with me lately. Lift foils like to ride far forward in the tracks. I knew where to place the 200. Then I was trying out a 170 and I had to slam that thing all the way forward in the water. Now I'm on an Axis 900 and I keep moving it back. I found an OK spot currently, not sure it's the sweet spot yet though.

What'd you switch to surfdad?

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I've been taking a tool in the water with me lately. Lift foils like to ride far forward in the tracks. I knew where to place the 200. Then I was trying out a 170 and I had to slam that thing all the way forward in the water. Now I'm on an Axis 900 and I keep moving it back. I found an OK spot currently, not sure it's the sweet spot yet though.

What'd you switch to surfdad?
I switched from lift 200 classic to Armstrong 1550 with the 232 tail wing. Only two sessions on it. Thing is way more stable for me and pumped better. I’ve been foiling since January. My goal is ride a wave pump back out and connect waves. Not an easy goal. I also wanted to be able to travel with it. My lift is all one piece as far as wing fuselage and tail wing. Mast separate. Armstrong I have friends that made the same switch from lift 200 and instantly improved. So I based my decision on their experience. Same size as me or bigger so I went for it. Thumb screws I think will allow me to adjust for wave conditions. Further forward on small days back for bigger days. That’s what I learned so far. Plenty more to learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I switched from lift 200 classic to Armstrong 1550 with the 232 tail wing. Only two sessions on it. Thing is way more stable for me and pumped better. I’ve been foiling since January. My goal is ride a wave pump back out and connect waves. Not an easy goal. I also wanted to be able to travel with it. My lift is all one piece as far as wing fuselage and tail wing. Mast separate. Armstrong I have friends that made the same switch from lift 200 and instantly improved. So I based my decision on their experience. Same size as me or bigger so I went for it. Thumb screws I think will allow me to adjust for wave conditions. Further forward on small days back for bigger days. That’s what I learned so far. Plenty more to learn.
"I bet that new HS1850 would get you out the back even quicker!" ~ The Devil's Advocate

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
This is like a podcast.

The connection at 9:40 is sick.
If you have an android phone, you can use Google podcasts.

Cool to see the Spencer brothers in this. Crazy how good all these young kids are. Wish foiling was around when I was a kid.

Mar 22, 2020
This is like a podcast.

The connection at 9:40 is sick.
Kai impressive as usual but I really don't like the air/strap thing, I'd rather see him doing big carving turns with flow and speed and top turns with the same lines as hight performance shortboarding (more vertical).

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Kai impressive as usual but I really don't like the air/strap thing, I'd rather see him doing big carving turns with flow and speed and top turns with the same lines as hight performance shortboarding (more vertical).

Yeah it's the rollerblading vs skateboarding argument. Or on BMX/Fixed gear bikes, brakes vs no brakes. I'm anti-strap too, but man do they look fun.

In other news, I've got a demo 760 wing on my way! Super excited about that. Should I work today to clear my schedule and hope it arrives tomorrow so I can try it then? Or do I try and foil today since there are waves? Bird in the hand right? :) Go both days? I agree.

Mar 22, 2020
Yeah it's the rollerblading vs skateboarding argument. Or on BMX/Fixed gear bikes, brakes vs no brakes. I'm anti-strap too, but man do they look fun.

In other news, I've got a demo 760 wing on my way! Super excited about that. Should I work today to clear my schedule and hope it arrives tomorrow so I can try it then? Or do I try and foil today since there are waves? Bird in the hand right? :) Go both days? I agree.
Should be interesting to know what you thinh of the 760, it should turn better for sure but the big question is the glide, the speed, the pumping.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Exactly. I'll give up 3 for 1's to get a better snap turn while still getting 2-1's. I'll give an honest opinion. Being in a whatsapp thread with the owner of a foil company has it's advantages it turns out. I always wondered how people got demo wings before.

Mar 22, 2020
Exactly. I'll give up 3 for 1's to get a better snap turn while still getting 2-1's. I'll give an honest opinion. Being in a whatsapp thread with the owner of a foil company has it's advantages it turns out. I always wondered how people got demo wings before.
Yes Evan is really nice, Adrian also, they always listen the feedback they get from riders.

Mar 20, 2019
We might have some actual waves tomorrow, so I might get on my 760 too...

might need to bring a few wings/stabs down and try a few different combos on the same swell.

Mar 22, 2020
I like the progression podcast but in my opinion Eric should try a way to make it interactive maybe using a blog or something, I don't always agree with what is saying.

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
who right now in your opinion is the best at surfing like you're describing here? would be cool to see

( *edit - who is the best at foil surfing like this in your opinion )

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
to.me the MOST impressive thing about Kai is he speaks proper english...so much so that he sounds like he's from Orange County...but he grew up in Maui...that pidgin accent and syntax is really hard to stay away from and even harder to lose once you get it....

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
who right now in your opinion is the best at surfing like you're describing here? would be cool to see

( *edit - who is the best at foil surfing like this in your opinion )
@kdmaui would be my pick. I can't make the link to his most recent video on his site work. Maybe this one will.

http://instagr.am/p/CFeDXpOD_Dc/
@foilwizard maybe?

http://instagr.am/p/CEi0J5yD0Ry/
@skyrama

http://instagr.am/p/CFP6RmwjoYN/
It used to be @mizofernando but he doesn’t post much anymore.

http://instagr.am/p/CD2hNGxAKjX/

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
@kdmaui would be my pick.

@foilwizard maybe?

http://instagr.am/p/CEi0J5yD0Ry/
@skyrama

http://instagr.am/p/CFP6RmwjoYN/
It used to be @mizofernando but he doesn’t post much anymore.

http://instagr.am/p/CD2hNGxAKjX/
From what I've seen on socila media, seems like Kane, Adam, Mizo are the best to me. Looks like foilwizard is not using strap on his latest vid but he only does smooth carving, with his straps he throws big air/blow tail.

But from what I've seen live, Jason and Ian from San Clemente are really really good but I didn't see them doing blow tail but maybe they do it now.

I'm pretty sure Kai is really good without straps but looks like he too much into backflip...