Foil injury’s?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I’m curious as to who has heard of serious injuries caused to a non foil rider. I heard from a lifeguard they responded to a guy who split his head open. Not sure if that was a Kite foil or not. But still that was an injury to himself. Have innocent bystanders been hurt by one?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I hurt someone today.

Emotionally.

By having fun in surf his sup groveller literally couldn’t even.

Aug 30, 2004
Seignosse, France
Never heard of anything, and I read most SUP/surf foil forums.

I guess we can safely say that none have happened since such an accident would be all over the surfing news.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
There's been a surfer/kite boarder here on Maui spreading rumors. Said a dad and son were surfing Kanaha and a foiler ran the kid over and severed his foot off. Problem is there are plenty in the foil community here that either work or know people in the EMT, ER, 1st Responder, and Lifeguard fields. Calls were made and the fact is the guy is not telling the truth. But there are those that believe the guy and take his story as fact which is creating unjust opinions about foil safety around surfers.

But as far as injuries to others, all I've witnessed is one of my friends earlier in the year collided with another when they were both on the same wave. They were doing what we call "criss cross apple sauce" or "go arounds" where one cuts back and the other goes past and cuts back also. They both went high when the crossing occurred and they collided (bodies mainly). Couple broken ribs but no blood.

Other than that, mostly beginner blood as most have to deal with learning to fall. Couple stitches here and there. :wave2:

indodreams

Nep status
Mar 25, 2011
Im sure there would be some serious injuries, only a matter of time before someone is killed.

Basically surfing with a machete as a fin.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
See that’s what I thought before I started. Now that I do it. It’s not that dangerous it turns out.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Hdip said:
See that’s what I thought before I started. Now that I do it. It’s not that dangerous it turns out.

" Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong."

MURPHY'S LAW

This is what people don't seem to understand.

All the commercial Foil folks will not show the wipe-outs and Tomahawks, they will be suppressed,
it's not good for the money scheme.

I am dreading the day they show up out in the line-up on a double over head day.

Only thing to hope for is big sneaker clean-up sets....

....I am goingoutside now....sometimes, common sense,....ends up being,...not too common.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There was a picture a couple of years ago of a guy with his head peeled open pretty grusomly. I think that one was by his own board though. Still don't want any foilers near me or my kids in the water. There are only a couple so far in my area and they are just flailing at it.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
GromsDad said:
There was a picture a couple of years ago of a guy with his head peeled open pretty grusomly. I think that one was by his own board though. Still don't want any foilers near me or my kids in the water. There are only a couple so far in my area and they are just flailing at it.
One of the local crew here Maui went to southern california, just got back. Said he was amazed at all the good foil spots that nobody was riding. Said he didn't see anyone but just a couple at SanO. Here you see plenty when you go to the designated foil spots.

Last Superbowl sunday we counted 40. Wonder what that head count will be this year.
:shrug:

Aug 30, 2004
Seignosse, France
GromsDad said:
There was a picture a couple of years ago of a guy with his head peeled open pretty grusomly. I think that one was by his own board though.
The guy tried to surf foil a kite foil! As proper surf foils were not available at the time, he stupidly tried with a kite foil.

A kite foil is very sharp, and very dangerous. Absolutely not the same as a SUP or surf foil.
Plus normal people cannot use a kite foil to surf (not enough wing lift + mast too long)

This picture has since been used as a "fake news" by foil haters. It is basically a hoax.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Probably not something people want to talk about but this popped up on instagram,
Head to mast collision,

He didn’t say how it happened, be good to be able to work towards injury avoidance if it’s possible or is this just one of those inevitable things?

Sorry I can’t embed on this site anymore...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuBJ_UBATSP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cnlq6mjpgzg

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
http://instagr.am/p/BuBJ_UBATSP/
Yeah I saw that on someone's story. Didn't realize it was the mast. The one story I've heard in Malibu is from the lifeguard who responded to the call. It was a worse injury than what that guy had. Similar though.

My point in this thread though was to find out if foils hit other people. So far, they don't.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
My point in this thread though was to find out if foils hit other people. So far, they don't.
Yea, interesting to see peoples fear that haven't been around one. I've seen a couple people freak out in the water here. They act like I'm completely out of control and going to slice them open, when I'm just standing there going down the line.

I can tell you this, I am more scared around beginner surfers on longboards than anything else. Completely out of control, ditching board, etc...