Florida hpsb inquiry

Mar 7, 2018
First post here. Stumbled upon the forums researching Pyzel Ghost lol. Sixty pages later I’m still looking for some input, if you could please. Looking for a new hpsb for Florida when it gets decent to good, chest to HH a few feet above that as it doesn’t get huge here in NFL. As I said, I was looking at the Ghost, mini ghost, shadow, & driver 2.0....then I was saw something about the patterson i15 & that friggen looks good too. I’m 48, 6’ 198lbs , in pretty decent shape, surf decent but tired of missing good waves from bad board choice. Got a spinetek sampler that I ride most the time. It’s like almost stock dims @ like 5’9” 29.6 L. This board rides great, one of the best I’ve had until it gets a lil bigger & juicer. I can catch waves pretty easily even below WH. My hpsb now is a stock 6’ happy plus 31.4L. It rides good & I like it but struggling to get in early. I need more liters &/a different shape. I’m thinking around 6”-6’’2” & 33-34L. Just wanted to get some nuggets of wisdom from y’all if you’ve had any of these boards. I appreciate it
i am the same height and age and about 205lb. my first thought is you are riding pretty low volume for your weight. i have a stock 6'4" 37 litre ghost for fun to excellent days on the beaches and reefs when chest/head high or bigger. i dont find the ghost too bulky or unresponsive at that size because it has a pulled in tail and its relatively thin foil in the tail. plus, i am generally riding it in bigger better conditions that allow a fraction more forward planning. the ghost design paddles pretty well also. i wouldnt go too short with this design - i am looking at getting a 6'6" for those suckier offshore days to help with getting in a bit earlier and making use of the longer rail line.

Oct 25, 2022
i am the same height and age and about 205lb. my first thought is you are riding pretty low volume for your weight. i have a stock 6'4" 37 litre ghost for fun to excellent days on the beaches and reefs when chest/head high or bigger. i dont find the ghost too bulky or unresponsive at that size because it has a pulled in tail and its relatively thin foil in the tail. plus, i am generally riding it in bigger better conditions that allow a fraction more forward planning. the ghost design paddles pretty well also. i wouldnt go too short with this design - i am looking at getting a 6'6" for those suckier offshore days to help with getting in a bit earlier and making use of the longer rail line.
Thanks for the great info! Yeah, that volume can be tricky for me. I have a couple CI Samplers. One pu stock 5’9” at like 29.4 L & loved it so much I got a custom spine tech almost same dims at 29.6L. They ride so well for me up to chest to HH & catch waves easily. That being said, I have slowly been adding like a liter every couple years to my hpsb, weight gain 20-25lbs in the last 10-15yrs, some muscle, not all fat lol. My current Happy +dims being the most liters I have ever ridden 6’ 31.4. It’s seems,for me, to need just a little bit more volume. That’s why I’m trying to shoot for 6’ to 6’2” and 33-33.5 liters? I keep being drawn to a custom ghost.‍♂

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks for the great info! Yeah, that volume can be tricky for me. I have a couple CI Samplers. One pu stock 5’9” at like 29.4 L & loved it so much I got a custom spine tech almost same dims at 29.6L. They ride so well for me up to chest to HH & catch waves easily. That being said, I have slowly been adding like a liter every couple years to my hpsb, weight gain 20-25lbs in the last 10-15yrs, some muscle, not all fat lol. My current Happy +dims being the most liters I have ever ridden 6’ 31.4. It’s seems,for me, to need just a little bit more volume. That’s why I’m trying to shoot for 6’ to 6’2” and 33-33.5 liters? I keep being drawn to a custom ghost.‍♂

Mar 7, 2018
Yeah, not suggesting you go 37 litres. Rather, my (obtusely made) point is that ghost style designs are more forgiving of too much volume and less forgiving of too little foam. The post below with link to ghost xl maybe a good option. It certainly won’t be the 6 week plus wait for a custom. You may be even able to find one in your neck of the woods. A final point is that I don’t really notice a couple of inches in length in this style of board. In the 1990s I was riding 6’8s in similar surf size…..

Reactions: T.Snide

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
One thing I have noticed is the ghost needs something to push against(hollow, hard breaking surf). Not an all round rounder IMHO

Jul 1, 2009
...Got a spinetek sampler that I ride most the time. It’s like almost stock dims @ like 5’9” 29.6 L. ....I’m thinking around 6”-6’’2” & 33-34L. Just wanted to get some nuggets of wisdom from y’all if you’ve had any of these boards. I appreciate it
Stock CI Black & White at 6'2" - 6'3". Same DNA as Sampler. Within your desired volume range, same width and thickness as Sampler.

Oct 25, 2022
Stock CI Black & White at 6'2" - 6'3". Same DNA as Sampler. Within your desired volume range, same width and thickness as Sampler.
I’ve eyed that model for a while & I’m sure it’s a good one too. I just watched the Noel Salas review again the other day lol. I’ve had a Proton & a DFR that were great for a time but was wanting to try something different I reckon. I wish my budget would allow more room for experimentation but unfortunately that’s not the case. Thank you for the b&w mention

Oct 25, 2022
A Pyzalien2, Phantom, Shadow, or a Highline would all be better for you then a Ghost
Yeah, I was looking for something for the better days here & I hope it’s not overkill bc I already ordered it....fingers crossed. I considered both the Shadow & P2 they look & sound so good too. I wish more models were in the budget. Those are definitely in the running for future boards. I appreciate all the help
& info.