Fishbeard et al mini review

Sep 4, 2018
Someone asked in this thread if the CI Twin Pin is good for Indo. I got one for my last Indo trip and couldn't be happier. The board is very different to any other board I experienced, I think it's the bottom contours that make
Thinking about taking a twin pin to indo .
is that a bad decision ? Maybe I’ll just take my GG this time

I had one on my last trip in Indo and I couldn't ask for a better board. It's so addictive that I barely wanted to ride anything else. I assume it's due to the bottom contours; I've never experienced such a planing sensation when shifting weight to the back. I'm not sure why the OP didn't like his. Perhaps he's too front-footed?
I have a slightly stretched 5'10" (width and height like the 5'9", around 32L). I used mine with the Album Uprights, which gave the perfect amount of hold for me. The Albums were so good, I never even tried my BMTs.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Someone asked in this thread if the CI Twin Pin is good for Indo. I got one for my last Indo trip and couldn't be happier. The board is very different to any other board I experienced, I think it's the bottom contours that make

I had one on my last trip in Indo and I couldn't ask for a better board. It's so addictive that I barely wanted to ride anything else. I assume it's due to the bottom contours; I've never experienced such a planing sensation when shifting weight to the back. I'm not sure why the OP didn't like his. Perhaps he's too front-footed?
I have a slightly stretched 5'10" (width and height like the 5'9", around 32L). I used mine with the Album Uprights, which gave the perfect amount of hold for me. The Albums were so good, I never even tried my BMTs.
Stoked to hear the board works for you! Different strokes for different folks I guess....I'd say I'm more of a neutral or even back footed guy, really click with the lost driver rocker for example. No such issues on my rnf96, pukas lady twin or fishbeard so it's not a twin fin thing either :shrug:

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021

Fins make such a difference in the rp twins. I have 3x and the album large geminis I've found are magic in all. I do like the Christensen uprights in my shorter fatter one just because it's looser, but it lacks the drive and hold of the geminis.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
I currently have the AM Keels in my Fishbeard. Been thinking about trying a different fin set. The Albums are intriguing.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Speaking of these big base fins has anyone found a solution of pulling these fins out without cracking the glass behind the fin box? Obviously sanding the fin but sometimes the dried salt after many sessions takes a little force to get out but then you’re solarezing. I really don’t know why they don’t give it a little angle up behind the fins.

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
For big base fins the following works for me (futures twins):

1. take an old popped bike inner tube and cut a 2 inch tube piece
2. cut the tube piece longways so now it's just a strip of rubber
3. put that strip of rubber under the base overhang behind the fin box in between the fin and the deck. Since the piece is big and rubberized, it diffuses the force if the fin releases all at once and wants to hit fiberglass.

I also put on some rubber dishwashing gloves to give myself more control and grip when trying to wiggle out a stubborn fin.

Speaking of these big base fins has anyone found a solution of pulling these fins out without cracking the glass behind the fin box? Obviously sanding the fin but sometimes the dried salt after many sessions takes a little force to get out but then you’re solarezing. I really don’t know why they don’t give it a little angle up behind the fins.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Driver's License/Credit Card back under the end of the trailing edge.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I've been spending the last few weeks on Sri Lanka. Brought a few freshies, here's a quick ride report, maybe somebody cares :) waves were always in the waist to a bit overhead range, fairly punchy and playful reefs.

CI Twin Pin
First session on it was on the best day of the trip so far. Solid 6-8 foot and long rifling walls, so pretty much exactly where I thought the board would excel. Had a bit of a shocker though....blew a few take offs because of all the foam upfront and the flat entry. It was pretty easy to go vertical, but much to my surprise I had to be super careful not to slide all over the place cause the board felt so loose. Had a few waves with some good turns, but was pretty pissed it did not hold better.
Sold the board after just that one session to a sponsored 14 year old Israeli girl. For her it's almost a midlength, but she's ripping on it. Told me "I love you man" after her very first wave, saying she didn't have that much fun in the water since years. She reckons it feels really loose too so that reconfirms my decision to get rid of it at minimal loss. It's funny how every review is like "you can push it as hard as you want" and I'm like "nope". I'm sure it's a fine board for some types of waves, just not what I was looking for.

Driver 2 bro light speed
My third driver 2 so no big surprises, absolutely solid board. Does everything you ask it to do, and does it well. With the wider dims and the light speed construction it even grovels pretty well. Have yet to surf it in big windy conditions but doubt it will shine there, it really is extremely light.

Inferno FT
Really impressed with this one. My daily driver was a Pyzalien 2 setup as quad prior to the FT. The FT is a bit harder to ride well, seems to be less forgiving if your foot placement is off or something about the angle / speed of a turn isn't quite right. It also redlines earlier, but boy does it rip in waist high to a bit overhead. My new favourite board in the quiver. The rocker and rails feel unlike every board I've ever had. My first sharpeye, won't be the last.

Fishbeard
Bit of a trip, the shape is quite different to anything I've ever ridden. Like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. It sort of has the best of both worlds, shortboard and fish. The nose doesn't get in the way when you want to go vertical but then it has great drive off the straight rail in the tail. Loves to carve and holds the rail really well, but simultaneously easy to release the tail. Took me longer than usual to figure it out but now I'm quite fond of it. Wouldn't be the only board I'd bring somewhere though.
What fins were you using on the CI Twin Pin? I could push it as hard as I wanted to. Had no issues with it in 6' - 8' foot surf heaving OB barrels.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
What fins were you using on the CI Twin Pin? I could push it as hard as I wanted to. Had no issues with it in 6' - 8' foot surf heaving OB barrels.
BMTs, so I don't think it was lack of fin area or rake. My decision to part ways that quickly was made easy by the glassing on the board too though :)

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
I think the EN’s are better than BMT. Little bit more pivot and feel it has better drive too. Has anyone tried the C drive fins in a twin pin type board"?