Fishbeard et al mini review

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
After quite a few WTF moments backside on the twin pin with BMTs I threw in some K2s today and they did seem to help add predictability and calm the looseness.
Waves were not great though/more testing needed.
Frontside the BMTs usually feel ok but I do find myself being more careful on turns using them.

As a lifelong mediocre surfer just wanting to hit my 5 or so tricks consistently (cutback, floater, topturn, bottom turn, head dip) I probably should go back to a thruster or quad for the waves I use the twin pin for.
You could split the difference and try a fin like the Lovelace Piggyback keels or similar through to an MR fuller tipped fin. It's a matter of finding the sweet spot you like for drive from the base length of the fin, hold and release from the upper part of the template/foil.
Hopefully others can chime in on the fins they are using with the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Good to hear about the Fishbeard. I’d get one but the fin placement isn’t my cup of tea..maybe I’ll snap up a cheap one if it come up…

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Good to hear about the Fishbeard. I’d get one but the fin placement isn’t my cup of tea..maybe I’ll snap up a cheap one if it come up…
Don't know what your preferences are....base of the CI AMKs is at approx 7" from the tail, so you get plenty of drive and hold. Stumbled across a burgery point/reef setup the other day and entered the water with low expectations. Could not believe how fast the board went and how hard I could turn it. If you find one cheap I'd say it's definitely worth a try

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Kabalana looks fun
Depending on swell direction some waves will offer a better/faster wall than in the video. The Israeli crowd can be a bit annoying at times though, really bad lineup etiquette. I like Sri Lanka for how well it is suited for a family vacation. Rarely too big, rarely too small. Tides don't really matter to much. I'll enter the water 5:45 and do a 4-5h session and still have plenty time with the family.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been spending the last few weeks on Sri Lanka. Brought a few freshies, here's a quick ride report, maybe somebody cares :) waves were always in the waist to a bit overhead range, fairly punchy and playful reefs.

CI Twin Pin
First session on it was on the best day of the trip so far. Solid 6-8 foot and long rifling walls, so pretty much exactly where I thought the board would excel. Had a bit of a shocker though....blew a few take offs because of all the foam upfront and the flat entry. It was pretty easy to go vertical, but much to my surprise I had to be super careful not to slide all over the place cause the board felt so loose. Had a few waves with some good turns, but was pretty pissed it did not hold better.
Sold the board after just that one session to a sponsored 14 year old Israeli girl. For her it's almost a midlength, but she's ripping on it. Told me "I love you man" after her very first wave, saying she didn't have that much fun in the water since years. She reckons it feels really loose too so that reconfirms my decision to get rid of it at minimal loss. It's funny how every review is like "you can push it as hard as you want" and I'm like "nope". I'm sure it's a fine board for some types of waves, just not what I was looking for.

Driver 2 bro light speed
My third driver 2 so no big surprises, absolutely solid board. Does everything you ask it to do, and does it well. With the wider dims and the light speed construction it even grovels pretty well. Have yet to surf it in big windy conditions but doubt it will shine there, it really is extremely light.

Inferno FT
Really impressed with this one. My daily driver was a Pyzalien 2 setup as quad prior to the FT. The FT is a bit harder to ride well, seems to be less forgiving if your foot placement is off or something about the angle / speed of a turn isn't quite right. It also redlines earlier, but boy does it rip in waist high to a bit overhead. My new favourite board in the quiver. The rocker and rails feel unlike every board I've ever had. My first sharpeye, won't be the last.

Fishbeard
Bit of a trip, the shape is quite different to anything I've ever ridden. Like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. It sort of has the best of both worlds, shortboard and fish. The nose doesn't get in the way when you want to go vertical but then it has great drive off the straight rail in the tail. Loves to carve and holds the rail really well, but simultaneously easy to release the tail. Took me longer than usual to figure it out but now I'm quite fond of it. Wouldn't be the only board I'd bring somewhere though.
When you say 6-8 are you talking head high to 2 feet overhead? Old school 6-8 was 3-6 feet overhead. Huge difference. I prefer to use the knee, waist, shoulder, head high and then feet over head until DOH. After DOH it’s just BIG. I couldn’t ride any 5-11 in big surf.

Salsa switches back and forth between wave scales. When he says 1-3 foot he means knee to shoulder, whereas 1-3 measured with the body is shin to thigh high. He liked the hold of the twin pin. I don’t think I’d get rid of any board after only one surf….but it must have ruined a good session…

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Depending on swell direction some waves will offer a better/faster wall than in the video. The Israeli crowd can be a bit annoying at times though, really bad lineup etiquette. I like Sri Lanka for how well it is suited for a family vacation. Rarely too big, rarely too small. Tides don't really matter to much. I'll enter the water 5:45 and do a 4-5h session and still have plenty time with the family.
Where do you fly into?

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
When you say 6-8 are you talking head high to 2 feet overhead? Old school 6-8 was 3-6 feet overhead. Huge difference. I prefer to use the knee, waist, shoulder, head high and then feet over head until DOH. After DOH it’s just BIG. I couldn’t ride any 5-11 in big surf.

Salsa switches back and forth between wave scales. When he says 1-3 foot he means knee to shoulder, whereas 1-3 measured with the body is shin to thigh high. He liked the hold of the twin pin. I don’t think I’d get rid of any board after only one surf….but it must have ruined a good session…

Body parts my preference since wave height and swell height can be different in the foot scale. 4 foot long period def not chest high.

You may or may not have a friend like me that determines size based on how big the wave is at his bottom turn. He's the nice guy that calls or texts you while you're at work and he just got done surfing. You have to learn his scale, head high is really waist high.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Body parts my preference since wave height and swell height can be different in the foot scale. 4 foot long period def not chest high.

You may or may not have a friend like me that determines size based on how big the wave is at his bottom turn. He's the nice guy that calls or texts you while you're at work and he just got done surfing. You have to learn his scale, head high is really waist high.
I surf a slopey wave a lot and head high can have a 10-12 foot ramp. Size is always relative.

I was once asked some non surfing Brits how big the waves were and they said it was defintely overhead. WhenI got to the beach it was tiny , but then I figured out they were body surfing and when the waves came while they were swimming around the waves were over their heads.:drowning:

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017

It sure did, but I may have overreacted a little haha.

Swell was 5ft at 18s, the bigger set waves solid DOH at take off then about 1.5x HH halfway down the line.

Screenshot_20230325_064419_Chrome.jpg

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Nice review of the Fishbeard!

I picked one up off the used rack a couple months ago. It was in great shape and at a price I couldn’t pass up. I’m 5’9 and 170#s, the board is 6’0 stock dims. It may be a little on the big side for me but I’m pushing 50 and like a little extra foam. I've had several fish over the years and never bonded with them. The Fishbeard is different though! It’s so fast and agile top to bottom. Super easy to catch waves with it too. I have the AMKs on it and it doesn’t turn super tight, but I think with some upright fins it might. At any rate, it was a great purchase for roughly the cost of two sets of fins.

• Love
Reactions: claw87 and Havoc

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Nice review of the Fishbeard!

I picked one up off the used rack a couple months ago. It was in great shape and at a price I couldn’t pass up. I’m 5’9 and 170#s, the board is 6’0 stock dims. It may be a little on the big side for me but I’m pushing 50 and like a little extra foam. I've had several fish over the years and never bonded with them. The Fishbeard is different though! It’s so fast and agile top to bottom. Super easy to catch waves with it too. I have the AMKs on it and it doesn’t turn super tight, but I think with some upright fins it might. At any rate, it was a great purchase for roughly the cost of two sets of fins.
Noel’s keel fins or his twin fins are perfect for fishbeard

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a set of his P-twins I plan on trying with the Fishbeard soon.