fish with more narrow tail

NYB

Sep 26, 2004
How many fins? As far as I know, Ricky generally shapes modern "fish"...nothing like a "retro" Lis style fish (see above reference to twin pintails). Never saw a Lis style fish from Ricky in all the years I worked in a shop that carries them (major East Coast RC dealer) and haven't seen one nowadays when stopping in for wax. Not saying he doesn't shape them, but haven't seen one yet...

Hey Dub, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I saw at least one pretty retro looking RC fish at All Seasons (maybe two months ago). One in particular that was right near the shop entrance was light blue, had wood keels and a deep swallow. It was on the long side at 6'2" but seemed like a Lis-style outline to me. Looked a lot like a KG fish. Maybe ask Len if he remembers that board. By the way, it was beautiful.

NYB

Sep 26, 2004
Dub, forget what I just wrote. Totally spacing, I was thinking of the Chris Birch's.

dubstar

Nep status
Apr 7, 2004
Long Beach, New York
Yes, there's been a number of nice looking Chris Birch's...out of RC's factory. I like a deeper swallow tail than what's on those boards, but people like them. To me they look more like twin fins than fish.

surfed it for the first time today, fun, but gonna take a bit to get used to it. surf wasnt to great anyway. but i had just got paddling from the inside and the sandbar was pounding and i got out and had one more set to go and ducked it but didnt quite make it and the wave snatched my board and the leash tie snapped and washed the board alllllllllllll the way in, and i was exausted. i had to tread water on the outside for a bit then when i finally got in it was one of the most exausting moments of my life. bummer. but tomorrow should be good. got that front comming.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
THIS IS THE NARROWER TAILED OUTLINE I like most on my own fish. works great

eyechart

Billy Hamilton status
May 28, 2004
Hopefully, surfing
www.gdd.net
It's blown out today Everett.
I'm guessing you were at the pier? Left or right?
Right side was going off Wednesday, I went left. Far less people (far less waves too) but I'm going for catching more crap waves as opposed to fighting crowds for 2 decent waves an hour.

Halcyon

Nep status
Jul 16, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Visit site
""""""""""""""
EVERYONE is correct on this one...
A narrow tailed fish...looser in fast waves, easier to bank at speed.
A narrow tailed fish...stiffer in slow waves, it sinks, doesn't plane, you have to trim from forwards, causing more surface area to come into play...
The speed of the waves is the variable no one mentioned. """""""""""

So what do you really mean by loose? It's kind of a subjective term here. For my part it means the tail doesn't hold a line as well -- loose -- more skatey.

Narrow tails are more positive IMHO.

Getting terminology straight is pretty important or one gets lost quickly.

Mahalo, Rich

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
I'm old school, did most of my surfing before airs and duckdiving was invented.....
Loose to me is easy to turn without lots of effort involved. The board can be super stable in a straight line, but if only a thought process makes it change direction, it's loose.
Any other definition of loose is also valid, but those are mine.