fish are so cool

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
no expert but i can tell you what ive found out

5'6" x 17" x 22" x 16" x 12", 50/50 rails, flat bottom, double foiled keels -- Fun, something fun to ride in summer pretty much. Retro, doesnt surf the best out of the ones i tried.

5'10" x 18" x 23" x 17" x 12", shortboard rails, venturi bottom, 6" twin fins (canted and toed) -- super fun board, pivits really good and is really snappy with a good squirt off of turns. lots of planing area makes a good small wave board, twin fins work good for small but stille lined up waves, down to kneehigh.

5'6" quad fins, canted and towed in front and back, back is double foiled, thin down rails, double concave -- funnest boards ever, really really really fun, like best board ever fun. if i were to pick one board, itd probably be the green 5'6" quad i have, its magic. the other one i have is thinner but wider and flys on small lined up waves.

thin rails with hard edges coupled with single foiled fins (especially 4 of them) is the best fish i have tried, and would be the one i recomend most.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
its magic because it can go anywhere on the wave. its loose like crazy but will still hold with the corect back foot pressure. hard to do a full on hand drag bottom turn straight vertical, but it makes up for it other places. front foot wieght seems key on all fish. you surf these boards off the front because of how much area there is up front. you pump with your front foot and turn with your back foot.

rails are alot like shorboard rails minus the edge before it goes hard, almost like a very very subtle edge. transition point is probably 18" from the tail. the fins are canted slightly in front and straight in back, but both are towed in slightly. front ones are single foiled and back are double.

id go longer and wider before thicker. 6' x 23" would probably suffice, as long as your willing to paddle hard. im 160 and i can surf a 5'6" x 22.5" boad thats really thin.

MrG

OTF status
Jan 16, 2002
Earth
OT what weight glass did you get on that tapered stringer flex tail? I have a quad on order, I usually go with 6+4/6 just for durabillity. Wondering how glass weight/using S-glass would effect flex?

pd_cm

Miki Dora status
May 20, 2003
SoCal
Rob Olliges..... that board is so SICK! WOW! I so want a fish done in eps or xtr foam with epoxy resin....

MrG

OTF status
Jan 16, 2002
Earth
OT - thanks for the info, I'll let you know when I manage to get to talk it over with Toby.