First time snowboarding, where to go?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The more I look at this chart, the more I am perplexed at how they calculated the Kilometers of slopes... For instance, they are saying that Aspen Highlands is technically bigger than Mammoth!? My gut tells me no way, and I've been to both. Just look at the trail maps.

Found this on reddit and not that it really answers the question but it’s interesting
Park city is huge, and not a lot of easy and not that much really difficult eather
Thing about ratings, they’re relative for a given mountain. So a green on a really challenging mountain might be a black on an easy mountain
But still, interesting
The numbers are slope length in km, not number of runsView attachment 104075

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
That's very misleading the more I look into it. Just check skiable area of each...

Aspen Highlands 1,010 acres
Mammoth 3,500 acres

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Found this on reddit and not that it really answers the question but it’s interesting
Park city is huge, and not a lot of easy and not that much really difficult eather
Thing about ratings, they’re relative for a given mountain. So a green on a really challenging mountain might be a black on an easy mountain
But still, interesting
The numbers are slope length in km, not number of runsView attachment 104075
I think I've got 15 of these...

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
there are a lot of cool spots in Utah

Solitude is a fun mountain with a cute, albeit small village scene

you'll have tracked it all out within 2 to 3 days, but also worth considering
He's just learning and won't be tracking out anything 2-3 days.
But true, doesn't take long.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
The more I look at this chart, the more I am perplexed at how they calculated the Kilometers of slopes... For instance, they are saying that Aspen Highlands is technically bigger than Mammoth!? My gut tells me no way, and I've been to both. Just look at the trail maps.

km or miles or trails doesn't make sense in usa/canada where 100% of inbounds in patrolled. It's more of a euro skiing style of measurement.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

It was from /r/dataisbeautiful on Reddit
Where data is beautiful but questionable

• Haha
Reactions: r32