Fires in Maui

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
They've done a lot of bulldozing in my neighborhood but it's far from done being cleaned up. I bailed. Sold my lot to a close friend and trying to buy a lot in Haiku.

• Sad
Reactions: SirKooksALot

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hey Pico. Here's a photo of your shop when it looks to have been a house.
View attachment 173987Alina Ja
Spent some fun and silly times a few doors down from that open extended lanai at the Lahaina Yacht Club for Whaling Spree Days, The Lahaina Jackpot Fishing Tournament & Halloween on Front Street. The fire …took the lore and island magic of old Lahaina Town and with the rebuilding of the new, the old will forever be forgotten with time, as it once was …….

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Hey Pico. Here's a photo of your shop when it looks to have been a house.
View attachment 173987
Thats when Wyland painted the whale on the side. Cut down the Kamani tree on a Sunday to do it. He was forced to remove it board by board or repaint over it. At this time it was the original Maui Tropix store. Its never really been a home xcept in the 1930’s when the Fish Market family lived upstairs and there was a double deck over the water. Ive had them all in the store. The old man was in a wheel chair with a nurse and his daughter was probably closing in on 80.

Reactions: LelandCuz and tacos

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Spent some fun and silly times a few doors down from that open extended lanai at the Lahaina Yacht Club for Whaling Spree Days, The Lahaina Jackpot Fishing Tournament & Halloween on Front Street. The fire …took the lore and island magic of old Lahaina Town and with the rebuilding of the new, the old will forever be forgotten with time, as it once was …….
The Chicago fire… The SF fire… time marches on. New chapters begin. Everything has a shelf life. Im here now saying goodbye. I have a vehicle pass. At least Maria Lanakila survived. I saw Albert digging out his property. He will rebuild.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
A small jewelry store in downtown Lahaina made me a ring I designed about 20 years ago. Sperm whale ivory(?) 18kt. They told me they had a stockroom with old whale tusks from Lahaina’s whaling days of yore that they were licensed to use with jewelry but claimed the ‘government’ restricted sale’s of whale products to Asians or maybe Japanese (memory issue). The store was right in the heart of downtown Lahaina, from aerial photos of the devastation I was saddened the store with all the other businesses were destroyed. I still feel saddened over the loss of lives, livelihoods and property in Maui…IMG_1190.jpeg

Last edited: