Fires in Maui

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
"The island’s (Maui) hotel rates averaged more than $600 per night in 2022 and even after the fires have remained above $450. Meanwhile, rental car rates have fallen below $50 a day and flights from LAX are available for less than $300"

Maybe they need to lower their prices -

Perhaps Jason Momoa can pay the salaries and wages of all the Maui workers who may lose their jobs in the visitor industry because he told people not to travel to Maui?

"Native Hawaiian" fellow quoted in the article with the surname "Delosreyes" - sounds like a Filipino, not a Hawaiian surname,

Nothing wrong with travelling to Maui at the moment - don't rubberneck other people's tragedy in Lahaina, make a donation of time or money to a reputable fire relief organization and know that your spending keeps Maui people employed.

Reactions: tacos and $kully

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
You can look up the daily arrival count and it's fallen off a cliff. Usually around 7500 now under 2000 arrivals daily. I think there's some psychology going on, so much negativity from what's happened people don't want to feel guilty about posting their selfies on Instagram or fb while on maui. Sucks though for all the small business owners who persevered through COVID and now have to deal with this is brutal.

Reactions: JSC and keenfish

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
"The island’s (Maui) hotel rates averaged more than $600 per night in 2022 and even after the fires have remained above $450. Meanwhile, rental car rates have fallen below $50 a day and flights from LAX are available for less than $300"

Maybe they need to lower their prices -

Perhaps Jason Momoa can pay the salaries and wages of all the Maui workers who may lose their jobs in the visitor industry because he told people not to travel to Maui?

"Native Hawaiian" fellow quoted in the article with the surname "Delosreyes" - sounds like a Filipino, not a Hawaiian surname,

Nothing wrong with travelling to Maui at the moment - don't rubberneck other people's tragedy in Lahaina, make a donation of time or money to a reputable fire relief organization and know that your spending keeps Maui people employed.
Stay off the Westside. The rest is open. Thats the song thats being sung. They are putting a screen net around Lahaina. Soon to end the cadaver search. I imagine the National Guard will still be patrolling for a while. The locals are still in shock and have filled up the hotels while they come to terms with what happened and try to figure out their future. This has never happened before. I wont assume whats right and wrong. I know I was there for one day to take care of some biz and left because it made me feel like sh!t. I dont blame tourist that dont want to feel like sh!t. But hey...feel free.

Reactions: hammies and JSC

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Have made several trips to Napili, no plans to go back in '24. Even if we did, prob wouldn't go. Those condos should be reserved for Lahaina refugees, plus being a tourist in west Maui seems like it would be disrespectful for the next year or 2. Not fond of Kihei/Wailua area, but people should go, the island needs the business. IMO if they're hurting for tourist dollars Jason Momoa might step up and make some PSAs backtracking what he said, maybe something more than 5 word admonishments.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You can look up the daily arrival count and it's fallen off a cliff. Usually around 7500 now under 2000 arrivals daily. I think there's some psychology going on, so much negativity from what's happened people don't want to feel guilty about posting their selfies on Instagram or fb while on maui. Sucks though for all the small business owners who persevered through COVID and now have to deal with this is brutal.
Prob need some kinda local stimulus.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Prob need some kinda national government that takes care of its own, before spending billions to launder money through shell corporations in far off foreign lands for personal profits.
Fauxed!

:cursing::shameonyou::bricks::socrazy:

And it's not political, just common sense to care of the taxpayers who pay your salary.

Duh?!?!?!

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Friend of ours lived around Lahaina last time we saw him (quite awhile ago)
Tried to get in touch 3 weeks ago and no answer on his cell, hmmm...
Called couple of times a week since and still no answer/message, double hmmmm...
Starting to worry.
Called another friend over there to look into it, still nothing.
Other friend gave a call to him yesterday and Wayno answered! He's OK.
Lives in Kehei now. Whewww!
So sorry for all the one's not so lucky:(

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
Have made several trips to Napili, no plans to go back in '24. Even if we did, prob wouldn't go. Those condos should be reserved for Lahaina refugees, plus being a tourist in west Maui seems like it would be disrespectful for the next year or 2. Not fond of Kihei/Wailua area, but people should go, the island needs the business. IMO if they're hurting for tourist dollars Jason Momoa might step up and make some PSAs backtracking what he said, maybe something more than 5 word admonishments.
Jason Momoa is Iowan.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Not fond of Kihei/Wailua area, but people should go, the island needs the business. I
Father in law is retired in Kihei... while it's not my preferred area of the island, partially because the beaches, while nice, dont generally produce even decent waves, I have learned to enjoy certain things in that area

We're going to Pops 70th next June with the kids, and yes will stay away from the West side even that far out. I generally surf those spots just north of the tunnel so thats as far as I'll go. Put in enough time from Lahaina to Honolua Bay that I can skip it for awhile.

Reactions: hammies

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
From last night's evening news. My housemates being interviewed and some photos of our house before and after the fire. We put so much work in over the last 8 years making the house nice and turning the yard into an oasis. They spent the last few months making the cutest nursery for their baby. We were so looking forward to raising their son in our perfect little space. Now I probably won't even see him until he's 2. My next door neighbor had a 4 year old who came over daily on his own to play in my yard since he was 2. In May he helped me put a 2nd story on the treehouse. It's gonna be weird how much he will age and change before I see him again.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a friend who went to Sri Lanka after the tsunami. She said the entire country was traumatized. Every where she traveled people lost family members.

But they needed the tourist money too

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Fleetwood donated his restaurant to the fire
In the Spring I heard it had sold a while ago but kept the name. You know anything about that?
Moose, who owns Krank Cycles, used to work at West Maui Cycles and be around Lahaina a lot. You ever meet him? Good dude. Introduced me to my wife.