Fires in Maui

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
my daughter attended sacred hearts in lahina and i always loved maui and its 2nd world preserved vibe (compliment) now with the destruction that vibe most likely will never repeat itself - too much money to be made now
I'm happy Emma was able to live in our neighborhood for a year and experience the lifestyle. When I'd take her up to Honolua it was cool to see how the local surfer kids embraced her as a friend right away.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
PM me if anyone you know could use a 3 br 1.5 bath house in Kahului. Not the nicest or the cleanest. I've had numerous people turn it down due the bathroom being too small for his disabled father, another couple was afraid to leave Lahaina because they were afraid they could not return, and another lady who did not return my phone call last night after she left a message.

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
PM me if anyone you know could use a 3 br 1.5 bath house in Kahului. Not the nicest or the cleanest. I've had numerous people turn it down due the bathroom being too small for his disabled father, another couple was afraid to leave Lahaina because they were afraid they could not return, and another lady who did not return my phone call last night after she left a message.
Mahalo for helping out, fantastic generosity.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I was 12 years old when Hurricane Iniki leveled Kauai and I remember helicopters almost non stop going to Kauai, I lived in Mililani then, near Schofield, Hickam and Pearl Harbor. We'd hear them all day. Loaded up heading to Kauai.

Haven't seen sh!t going to Maui. Is it cause Hawaiians wanted the Military out of Red Hill water aquifer after they poisoned it?? Military being passive?

I'm not anti military, in fact I'm pro. I wouldn't exist without the Military and the Navy gave my father a life he could have never achieved on his own as an orphan during the Great Depression. Grateful. But why aren't they delivering food, aid, toilets, runways, bulldozers??? Why isn't there a medical ship off the coast?
They're trying. Governor has not yet approved -- bureaucratic red tape is deep and people are getting really, really pissed.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
On the subject of where's the Army where is the Navy where is the Air Force we have FEMA now Still it's only been a little over a week ======the iNiki seem to be something different======= I think it took a little while for them to Crank It Up for that it's just different This Disaster we have a fully operational major Harbor and Airport ready to go
Yep, there seems to be a lot of misguided anger and emotional responses going around online. I get it. But I've seen a lot of rants asking where all the helicopter sorties and what not are. Maybe it would make people feel better to see bustling military operation? But is that really necessary in this situation? As long as all the fires have been contained and utilities are operating as expected outside of the burn zone the priorities should be about shelter, food and supplies for the displaced and recovery of those lives lost before anything else can happen. As far as the recovery goes, thats a slow process. From the sound of it they're literally going from burned out structure to structure and burned out vehicle to vehicle trying to identify human remains among the ashes with cadaver dogs.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
the priorities should be about shelter, food and supplies for the displaced
Every branch of the military has a giant base half an hour away with every type of mode of transportation possible, none of them can help with those priorities?

Locals non-stop jetski/boating in food, gas, clothes, supplies. There would be more dead if locals didn’t step up.

We knew the military was never ”our neighbors“ and “part of the community” as they claim, just wild to see nothing done.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Every branch of the military has a giant base half an hour away with every type of mode of transportation possible, none of them can help with those priorities?

Locals non-stop jetski/boating in food, gas, clothes, supplies. There would be more dead if locals didn’t step up.

We knew the military was never ”our neighbors“ and “part of the community” as they claim, just wild to see nothing done.
Airdrop shelters, temporary power, food, etc. They can build a town overnight.

Reactions: Aruka and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Exactly! We could have a centralized temporary city by last week Friday. A place to house everybody and deliveries more efficient and safe.

Nah we got Matt Meola on a jetski towing 30 fucking propane tanks trying to do a oceanfront delivery.

Reactions: PBSteve

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

From what @James -Bummer Jim-Devlin is saying, that outside the burn zone the infrastructure is operating as normal with a fully operational airport and harbor. Not trying to knock what the locals are doing and definitely not suggesting that the military can't do more. But a lot of that comes at the request of the Governor whom I'd hope is in regular communications with the federal government re: assistance. I suppose beyond SAR/Recovery what the military could be doing is setting up logistical operations centers, medical/food tents, as well as temporary housing. Though I'm wondering if housing will be necessary with all the hotels and rental properties on the island? Seems like a funding operation to buyout these vacation properties for the next few months to house the displaced may be better than erecting temporary barrack/tent style housing and will help contribute to the tourist economy which is surely gonna take a massive hit. As far as medical goes I haven't heard anything but I'm assuming the local hospitals are fully functional and with the fires under control I wouldn't expect a massive influx of injured at this point.

Reactions: racer1

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The army has a facility on Oahu called the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) where they train to respond to scenarios just like this.

1692226474942.png

How long would it take the navy to send some destroyers to rescue people from the beach or render aid at 30 knots?

1692226904237.png

Reactions: Muscles and racer1

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The army has a facility on Oahu called the Joint Pacific Multinational Readiness Center (JPMRC) where they train to respond to scenarios just like this.

View attachment 160672

How long would it take the navy to send some destroyers to rescue people from the beach or render aid?
Are there still people that need to be rescued off the beach?!?!

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
From what I understand, and I may be way way off base, it is on the Governor to request military aid. The A/N/AF/M can't just decide to mobilize and take matters in their own hands. They need to be asked and/or given permission by the Governor first, then they can act.
From what I've gleaned from the news accounts I've read and heard on the radio, the early warning and recovery efforts have been hampered by leadership and organization incompetence from both State and Local levels and there is a lot of CYA going on further exasperating the situation.
Very sad for the people of Maui.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
From what I understand, and I may be way way off base, it is on the Governor to request military aid. The A/N/AF/M can't just decide to mobilize and take matters in their own hands. They need to be asked and/or given permission by the Governor first, then they can act.
From what I've gleaned from the news accounts I've read and heard on the radio, the early warning and recovery efforts have been hampered by leadership and organization incompetence from both State and Local levels and there is a lot of CYA going on further exasperating the situation.
Very sad for the people of Maui.
I'll play the sea lawyer:

Reactions: racer1

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One has to ask, how many of the burnt houses could not be build today due to code violations?

I live in a two-story home in a "Very High Fire Risk" zone in Encinitas, west of the 5. Due to my driveway height above the road, I would not be allowed to rebuild as is.
Going by my experience with Hurricane Sandy, zoning restrictions were relaxed so people could rebuild. At first it seemed like a good thing. Quite frankly they relaxed them too much in some ways......particularly height and setbacks were relaxed so bigger taller houses could be built by greedy bastards. Now there is nowhere to park in the summer because they are putting 5-bedroom airBnB party houses where there were once 2 or 3 bedroom houses.

Reactions: Boneroni

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Also based on my Hurricane Sandy experience, it took Fema 4-years to review the appeal of my insurance claim and get me $52,000 that I should have gotten at the very beginning. I'd put everything back together out of my own pocket, given up and moved on with my life years before I got that phone call.

Reactions: sdsrfr and racer1

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
From the WSJ…

During the 2019 wildfire season, one of the worst Maui had ever seen, Hawaiian Electric concluded that it needed to do far more to prevent its power lines from emitting sparks.

The utility examined California’s plans to reduce fires ignited by power lines, started flying drones over its territory and vowed to take steps to protect its equipment and its customers from the threat of fire.

Nearly four years later, the company has completed little such work. Between 2019 and 2022, it invested less than $245,000 on wildfire-specific projects on the island, regulatory filings show. It didn’t seek state approval to raise rates to pay for broad wildfire-safety improvements until 2022, and has yet to receive it.

Reactions: JSC

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
From the WSJ…

During the 2019 wildfire season, one of the worst Maui had ever seen, Hawaiian Electric concluded that it needed to do far more to prevent its power lines from emitting sparks.

The utility examined California’s plans to reduce fires ignited by power lines, started flying drones over its territory and vowed to take steps to protect its equipment and its customers from the threat of fire.

Nearly four years later, the company has completed little such work. Between 2019 and 2022, it invested less than $245,000 on wildfire-specific projects on the island, regulatory filings show. It didn’t seek state approval to raise rates to pay for broad wildfire-safety improvements until 2022, and has yet to receive it.

To summarize, they put more resources towards renewable energy than updating existing infrastructure.

Reactions: 2surf and GromsDad

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I know the military can’t just mobilize and need to be called from the Gov/state, but it’s not good optics. The Military is already in a rough PR spot due to Red Hill, so this won’t help. Whatevers. Locals taking care of each other is beautiful.

I didn’t know this but school was canceled that day due to the winds (or the fire earlier). So lots of kids at home, ones that were old enough to be on their own.

The tragic reality is that there might be a lot of dead kids after this as many are still missing.

• Sad
Reactions: npsp and PRCD

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know the military can’t just mobilize and need to be called from the Gov/state, but it’s not good optics. The Military is already in a rough PR spot due to Red Hill, so this won’t help. Whatevers. Locals taking care of each other is beautiful.

I didn’t know this but school was canceled that day due to the winds (or the fire earlier). So lots of kids at home, ones that were old enough to be on their own.

The tragic reality is that there might be a lot of dead kids after this as many are still missing.
Not good optics? I’d go a little farther than that. Locals taking care of locals is a beautiful thing but certainly has its limitations. Involving federal resources from the beginning was the correct call whether the governor requested them or not.

That is tragic. There’s more tragedy to come.

Reactions: npsp