Fires in Maui

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
For some perspective- Canadian wild fires are still burning - for months now.

This Maui inferno was a result of a combination of rare weather events and dry vegetation. Hard to see how much of what happened could have been prevented.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what the media does best.
Ummmmm, sorry but no.

"A previous report stated that a 2018 brush fire in Lahaina, which forced residents to evacuate homes and burned more than 2,000 acres of land, should be a “real world wake-up call”. As was the case in last week’s catastrophe, that blaze occurred in drought conditions, amid high winds from a hurricane traversing the Pacific Ocean. Yet when the worst came to pass in Lahaina, warning sirens failed to work and the island’s firefighting force was ill‑equipped and overstretched".

After 2018, they had more than enough warning that the entire area was a tinderbox.

When similar conditions to 2018 presented themselves in 2023 - dry conditions, strong winds from a hurricane passing to the south - what did the civil defense people do?

Absolutely nothing, from all reports.

The same downed power lines started a fire, the same strong downslope winds pushed the fire to the sea, incinerating everything in its path.

Not a single person interviewed by any media reports hearing a civil defence siren - not a single one.

That is indicative of complacency, incompetence and gross professional irresponsibility - and hundreds of people lost their lives as a result.

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Anybody who lived in Lahaina during canefield days knew when they stopped watering the fields the town was in peril. Peter Martin gets his wish.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
They said on the news that 2000 hotel rooms and 500 Airbnb's between Kaanapali and Kapalua were opening up.

IMO the feds should rent every available room and condo along that stretch of coast for the next year. Would cost a lot (prob $100M+) but it would give those people a safe, secure place to stay while they get their lives sorted out.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
They said on the news that 2000 hotel rooms and 500 Airbnb's between Kaanapali and Kapalua were opening up.

IMO the feds should rent every available room and condo along that stretch of coast for the next year. Would cost a lot (prob $100M+) but it would give those people a safe, secure place to stay while they get their lives sorted out.
It would also keep the tourists out while they rebuild and still keep money coming in to that part of the tourist economy.

I have a friend out there who’s an electrician that currently has two displaced families bunking with him. Lots of that going on. He’s talking about going to Seattle to stay with his mother to leave the house for his friends. But there’s gonna be a point where as a licensed electrician he’s gonna be needed there and will have more work than he’ll know what to do with.

Reactions: hammies

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation

My buds have checked into Royal Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach Hotel today. One month for starters. One of them has cats.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Check out this article in Civil Beat Hawaii today: https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/08/a-state-official-refused-to-release-water-for-west-maui-fires-until-it-was-too-late/

They are fighting over water rights, which is nothing new, but some don't even want the water to be used to fight fires!!!

It states: "Now the conflict includes opponents who do not want water to be used to fight fires, the governor said"
That’s pretty shitty but from the sound of this water wasn’t stopping this firestorm.

Reactions: Clayster

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Dusty Payne, local Lahaina resident, took the words right outta my mouth.

Why?

Ukrainians are more important than Americans?

WTF?

Why no military help already?

WTF?

This is beyond FUBAR.

:shrug::cursing:

Reactions: hklocal

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was 12 years old when Hurricane Iniki leveled Kauai and I remember helicopters almost non stop going to Kauai, I lived in Mililani then, near Schofield, Hickam and Pearl Harbor. We'd hear them all day. Loaded up heading to Kauai.

Haven't seen sh!t going to Maui. Is it cause Hawaiians wanted the Military out of Red Hill water aquifer after they poisoned it?? Military being passive?

I'm not anti military, in fact I'm pro. I wouldn't exist without the Military and the Navy gave my father a life he could have never achieved on his own as an orphan during the Great Depression. Grateful. But why aren't they delivering food, aid, toilets, runways, bulldozers??? Why isn't there a medical ship off the coast?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Still waiting.

:foreheadslap:

Reactions: hklocal

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I was 12 years old when Hurricane Iniki leveled Kauai and I remember helicopters almost non stop going to Kauai, I lived in Mililani then, near Schofield, Hickam and Pearl Harbor. We'd hear them all day. Loaded up heading to Kauai.

Haven't seen sh!t going to Maui. Is it cause Hawaiians wanted the Military out of Red Hill water aquifer after they poisoned it?? Military being passive?

I'm not anti military, in fact I'm pro. I wouldn't exist without the Military and the Navy gave my father a life he could have never achieved on his own as an orphan during the Great Depression. Grateful. But why aren't they delivering food, aid, toilets, runways, bulldozers??? Why isn't there a medical ship off the coast?
The answers will be speculation but see JSC's comment. I don't know when the navy knew about the fires and the evacuees but surface ships all have a RHIB or two which could've been used to save people. I suspect the reasons they're not helping now are 1) leadership failure and 2) the casualties are higher than reported and many of them children. Remember the chemical spill in Ohio earlier this year? This is just how "we" handle disaster now. Having lived through several fires, there's no will or competence to fix things anymore.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
More and more assertions of incompetence and culpability on the part of Maui County and State of Hawaii officials - and hundreds of people paid with their lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/14/the-guardian-view-on-hawaiis-lethal-wildfire-lessons-to-learn-from-a-catastrophe?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR004ajeFL_L8qYbas-U7WkxU84wsGtxxLgPwpETHyTvfxlptkv9VS0ox-E
I've always found it frustrating that Hawaii won't learn from the Mainland about how to do things or run government because they think they're different and lessons learned other places aren't relevant to them. This is now the biggest example of how it comes back to bite us but that mindset has been screwing residents for decades. Living in Summit County, CO and Maui county for 20 years it's amazing to see how differently government is run and decisions are made when the economy is so similar.