"Find my iphone" location tracker. Use it to keep tabs on your family?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i ask my kids to turn on tracking on the garmin in-reach when they are off trail solo and absolutely refuse to do the same myself

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not for day to day but whenever they're off on relative or school excursion, they wear a Gizmo watch. Pretty cheap and they can be contacted that way both phone and email. Very basic though.

Reactions: Boneroni

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
We have a free range kid so we used it to keep track. He was well aware that we did because it would send him a message when we logged in. We stopped using it around the time he started high school.

Wife keeps track of me when she spins herself up in a tizzy. I’m on the road a lot and she worries. It’s way better than fielding phone calls plus when I’m surfing she’ll know I won’t be home for dinner.

I hardly ever use it to see where she is. Can’t remember the lady time.

As far as ethics go, as long as everyone knows what’s going on there’s no issue.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
shoot, I even have an airtag on my dog.

they make ankle bracelet AirTag holders for kids. my neighbors make their kids wear them at public events where they run wild.

Reactions: Havoc

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I sometimes use it to see where my teenager is, but she is aware of that.
She's also aware that my wife looks at her location probably every hour, even when school is in, lol.

I'm never worried about where my wife is, but she works from home and when I want to come home and get high and play drums, it's just nice knowing that she's not there.

Reactions: Havoc and Subway

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
Running surveillance on loved ones who aren't mentally handicapped? I've never even considered it. For the wife or either kid. I'd be pissed if I found out someone was doing it to me. Doesn't even require the person's iPhone account e-mail and password? I can barely remember my own! And I'd feel totally inappropriate asking them for their private passwords! It's borderline abusive. Control freak stuff. If I need to know where they are I can call them. Or text. If they don't respond immediately they might be busy. Or thank god away from their phone living their best life. Might be time to re-evaluate your relationship and or personal issues if you feel the need to spy on your family like this.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Running surveillance on loved ones who aren't mentally handicapped? I've never even considered it. For the wife or either kid. I'd be pissed if I found out someone was doing it to me. Doesn't even require the person's iPhone account e-mail and password? I can barely remember my own! And I'd feel totally inappropriate asking them for their private passwords! It's borderline abusive. Control freak stuff. If I need to know where they are I can call them. Or text. If they don't respond immediately they might be busy. Or thank god away from their phone living their best life. Might be time to re-evaluate your relationship and or personal issues if you feel the need to spy on your family like this.
That’s a weird way to look at it.

My wife and I share passwords and logins for everything. Like I said above, we all know when one of us “finds” each other. There’s nothing abusive about it at all.

There’s honestly nothing in my life that is “private” from my wife.

And despite that she still loves me.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
well, i made darn sure i had the ability to spy with no regrets, at all. in fact, i did the same drill for each of my kids, when the time came: "here's your new pc/tablet/phone/ whatever. be aware that, since i'm ultimately responsible for whatever you do or say online until you're an adult, i've also made sure that i have the ability to go back and look at whatever you do or say online, as needed. proceed with that in mind and let's hope that i never have a reason to do so."

and i never did.:shrug:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
@Al Soldano is glad you all live such paranoid lives.

Out here we leave the keys in the ignition of our cars, and our windows and doors unlocked 365/366 on leap years... cept when the dust blows.

Track a person's locations by their phones?

:crazy2:

What are you with the CENTRAL UNINTELLIGENCE AGENCY?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::poke:

Reactions: Jack-the-Ripper