Fin Construction - Not Sketchy But Still Performs?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
What is the consensus on the ideal construction for fins that (most likely) won’t cause injury yet still perform?

Futures Alpha, Vapor Core, Blackstix, FCS Neo carbon, Neo Glass, or none of the above?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Alphas feel pretty lightweight in hand. Might be alright if they tried to slice you, but never surfed them

for safety first, try the stiffest ProTeck fin. Looks like they have at least 3 options

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The Proteck seem like they give up way too much performance but honestly never tried them.

Aug 9, 2015
I’m probably in the minority but I actually quite like the flex of fcs2 neo glass in grovelers and daily drivers. Preferred over stiffer fins. They don’t fold and have a nice spring to them in and out of turns. The step below neo glass (I think they call them glass flex are absolute crap). Same with the futures cheapo plastic fins. Crap. Have not personally tried alphas but hand flexed a buddies and definitely much softer than neo glass. Futures honeycomb I quite like as well.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Parko was probably riding Kinetic fins, which were his sponsor. Those things were absolute ginsu knives.

There was an old thread where some erBB member was trying to produce and hype steel fins for big waves. There was a hilarious thread with lots of funny memes.

Reactions: Havoc

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
beyond the sharpness, I think he's assuming that the softer the fin the less force on impact and damage it could cause your body.
Got it, I think I've become so used to initial drive out G10 that they just feel normal. When I was making bamboo fins quickly figured out that the amount of flex(on twin fins) that they were less than ideal (for my style)

Reactions: surfwhere and JDJ