Sep 22, 2004
Thanks , Ill give it a go when I get over this sickness
JTS

Reactions: jkb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Saw someone leaving the beach with only 1 fin. I was like, da fuq? But then I realized they were fcs2 boxes.

dude looked bummed and confused all at once.

• Haha
Reactions: retodd and Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I think it's some user error with many of these spontaneous ejections. I was an early adopter and am closing in on seven years using the system exclusively and have lost two fins which FCS replaced for free. Would I have lost them with Futures, nope, but I wouldn't have lost them either if I had screwed in the grub screws into the FCSII plugs, which I never do, because that's kind of the point of the system.

I was swapping some fins around this past weekend (after I tried the H4's) and realized I surfed for over two hours with my center fin not fully seated (rear tip was about 3/16" off the board). I think that may be what happened when I lost the other two.

The CT is pretty evenly split between Futures and FCSII and I only recall one situation where someone lost a fin. If I recall correctly, it was Owen Wright at Margaret River.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I think it's some user error with many of these spontaneous ejections. I was an early adopter and am closing in on seven years using the system exclusively and have lost two fins which FCS replaced for free.
The CT is pretty evenly split between Futures and FCSII and I only recall one situation where someone lost a fin. If I recall correctly, it was Owen Wright at Margaret River.
and he hit the reef causing the fin to pop out
prefer futures box but have no problem with fcs2, better for 5 fin and a wider selection of fins
theres something to be said about the added cant angle 9 vs 6.5 degrees on futures

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Jan 5, 2020
To the original point of the thread, I’d be bummed as well. I can’t say I’ve ever checked the screws on a new board until I’m getting ready to surf. You guys can take this for what it’s worth, but I’ve been told by 2 shapers that the depth of the fcs2 box makes it stronger than a standard futures box. Granted, I doubt the integrity of the box matters much unless you hit something. And even then, it’s probably safer to the box to fail than than everything to remain in place. I have a scar on my ankle that can attest to an fcs box that didn’t fail!

Reactions: ChaseTMP

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
ya fcs2 should automatically include grub screws pre installed forvthis very reason. greedy fks
Wade and Kerry Tokoro put in a single rear grub screw in the boxes on all my boards with Fcs2. If I use some old fins or the NVS g10’s I put in the forward screws. $40 - $50 to replace a lost fin and the time to paddle in and switch fins out isn’t worth saying a couple minutes here and there.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I was anti-FCS2 until I got another board with FCS2 boxes recently after a long hiatus.

Honestly, they're fine. The fins are decent (I'm using medinas) and they fit flush. I still put rear grub screws in as I don't trust the self-eject mechanism.

Overall, I think Futures are a slightly better system but I'd be happy with either.

Last edited:

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Has anyone had problems using bigger fins (MR twin sized) in fcs2 boxes ?
Got a quad fish and want to try some bigger fronts
Thanks for any help
JTS
I had an MR pop out of the box on a bottom turn (admittedly riding the board in heavier barreling conditions than what may have been appropriate), even with a rear screw set tight. I suspect the box twisted and distorted under load. Now running both sets of screws and recessing the spot on the fin a little where the screw lands.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I had an MR pop out of the box on a bottom turn (admittedly riding the board in heavier barreling conditions than what may have been appropriate), even with a rear screw set tight. I suspect the box twisted and distorted under load. Now running both sets of screws and recessing the spot on the fin a little where the screw lands.
I use the Fins Unlimited #2 (quad Stretch) set (2 tabs) with my fcs II with silcone plugs and 2 x screws on my 2x4 step up Stretch and never have had any issues. I could careless about quick fin no driver system and continue to use two tab fiberglass custom fins.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I use the Fins Unlimited #2 (quad Stretch) set (2 tabs) with my fcs II with silcone plugs and 2 x screws on my 2x4 step up Stretch and never have had any issues. I could careless about quick fin no driver system and continue to use two tab fiberglass custom fins.
Fair enough, but there is a big difference in the amount of torque placed on the base of twin fins vs. quads due to surface area and lack of assist by the rear fins.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Fair enough, but there is a big difference in the amount of torque placed on the base of twin fins vs. quads due to surface area and lack of assist by the rear fins.
For sure 100% and started thread response thinking of my concave channel bottom of alpha omega with true ames fiberglass twin set but then remembered (ole man) my ao has fusion boxes so.....

Reactions: hackeysaky

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
FWIW, I like the FCS2 system and have been very pleased when running thrusters and the occasional quad. I'm just not sure they can handle the big twins as well as we'd like.