erBB to add FOIL discussion section!!

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
so heres the secret hdip....since youre getting kinda good on that thing...

4 foot tide and higher...malibu is THE place to be...

2nd point to the end of the wall is easily doable on a foil

if you can pump back out and get a 2 for 1 then 3rd to the wall is doable...easy...

theres a pretty solid group of us now that foil regular at the high tides there...Sarlo, Andy, Keola, Jesse, Swen....pretty much it....you should jion us because you good now and can control it....couple guys showed up in july getting catapulted all over the place....they were told A'ole....boy you no can!...go away...maybe you come back next summer

2nd to the wall is a loooooong run over half a mile ....easy....2800 feet

and if you can pump you get to the sand ....pick up the backwash....and JAM back out to sea!....all the way out level with the end of the pier

friken GOOD FUN!!!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
But I've had a moratorium on "Malibu" for over 15 years now. Well I've been a couple times in the last year with my 4 year old, only because his cousins were there, but I didn't even bring a board. I can see how that'd be a good spot though. We'll see. I hate crowds. I surfed zuma today and had to get out and walk up the beach twice today because I couldn't stand sitting next to people.

I got a foil to get away from people, not to go to the most crowded spot around. Maybe at the high tide it would be OK though.

Also I foiled a spot all by myself yesterday, for 20 minutes til I was joined by one surfer. Then after an hour a SUP came out and was asking me all about it. I think we'll see a lot more foils next year.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
No no no you're doing this on a two foot wave ....for real ...you know hiw we do...we're not even going for the same waves as everybody else it's like your owns surf spot in the middle of a surf spot... they can't even think about the waves that we ride... That's what's so much fun about it everybody is sitting sitting in pretty much flat water and we just blasting all over the place... It's like you're 16 all over again....and that littye bay between 1st and kiddie bowls in front of adamson house where you paddle out is the best part of all....

sit at the top of 1st point...paddle for the set and yelll...go Go GO!...take the right....im going LEFT!

going left at malibu...awesome!

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Good Stuff Hdip and Kaser1.

Got my first injury on the foil, went over the handlebars on my first wave trying to correct on the takeoff. Took the front wing between the chest and shoulder and bounced an elbow off the mast. Luckily wearing a wetsuit top which kept me from getting cut, nasty bruise on my chest and sore elbow.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
grendel95 said:

Got my first injury on the foil, went over the handlebars on my first wave trying to correct on the takeoff. Took the front wing between the chest and shoulder and bounced an elbow off the mast. Luckily wearing a wetsuit top which kept me from getting cut, nasty bruise on my chest and sore elbow.
I've gone over the bars a few times, first instinct is ball up and cover your head and go deep.

Got cute yesterday doin a floater over the foamball and went in alittle off balance and paid the price...almost. Board flipped under me and the front wing near missed my mouth. Lifted my shoulder and turned my head, all seemed in slow motion, out of a movie. :tomato:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Autoprax said:
Never will I ever track my waves with an electronic device.

I would rather beat off, play the guitar, and snort opiates.

I guess it takes all kinds.
I dont think I ever will either. I'd rather pay someone to record a video from shore.

Its kinda cool to do Runtastic on the Snowboard setting when we're riding the mountain though..??.. Although my wife handles that and Id' probably never do it either.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Scariest wipeouts I've had are going over the falls and trying to kick the foil out in front of you but it's falling at the same rate and it looks like you're going to land on the back wing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
grendel95 said:

Are you foiling at doheny?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Had a chance to sample the Axis rig a couple days ago. This is their bigger wing thats the size of the GoFoil 200. Was plenty stable, lots of lift, and as with most big wings was hard to turn. Easy pumps back out for 2 for 1's and 3 for 1's. Mast was longer than my GoFoil which is 27.5", the Axis was 30". Felt alittle faster than the 200. More of a downwinder kind of wing, not something you'd surf daily.

Also picked up a set of stick on strap attachments. I've tried straps downwind before but not in surf.

Strap seems to work well for Kai, wouldn't hurt to try..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmPXeqeHPps/?taken-by=kai_lenny

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Been epic foiling conditions lately, here's ArchieK on a close buzz.

Maui's best surf forecaster GP

And KD on a Lift foil..

Steamroller's on island for a few days, picked himself up a new board and is foiling his brains out from what he tells me. Hope to get a surf in with him maybe today. :jam_on:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Hoo-taahh! Hope You & Your Ohana are well.
Will be at Doheny for Jackie Baxter's paddleout on Friday Nov 2nd. 11:00 AM.
Paddleout @ 1:00 if ... you're around.

:wave2:

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfFGRQn3UFw[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfFGRQn3UFw

if this damn thing would work youd see how stinkin FAST this BIG guy 220+#'s goes on a 3 foot wave...kikass

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Lots of fun here.....

https://www.suptonicmag.com/sup-news/2018/04/best-foil-wipeouts-awesome-crashes/

.....I am goingoutside now....for extra thrills....just take them out in bigger surf....