Epoxy Step-Ups and Mini-Guns???

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I'm shopping around for a step-up for an upcoming trip this fall to a wave that could be described as an emaciated version of Sunset: an occasional barrel but you're mostly turning.

My local shaper is recommending an epoxy board (EPS not PE). This seems unusual. Does anyone here prefer that kind of construction in bigger waves?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My hipster stap for bigger waves that are mostly soft with occasional barrels on their day here in SD is a heavier epoxy lay up and it's fine. Like JKB said, I think denser foam and normal step up glassing then it won't be too noticable.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stretch CFT heavy 2x4 step up 6'3" x19" 2.5" swallow ride as quad with FU#2 gun set 4.25"/4":shaka:
I am not sure if I would go to any shaper to have eps/ epoxy board for a gun not all boards are made same:toilet:but if said shaper had good feedback etc no problem feels nice and you can go 6/6 6 no problem:waving:

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Totally fine with the heavier eps and thicker glass. I have a HS stringerless semi stepup eps and it feels great. I also have a Pyzel stringerless XTR stepup that you might consider too. XTR foam feels denser than eps. Adding a stringer will make it feel more like pu.

I heard Nathan Florence was getting into eps/epoxy for guns. Not sure what the status is on that.

Last edited:

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Guess it depends where you are going

OBSF, I dont think I've seen people riding anything other than PU guns, as it gets pretty windy/worbly here sometimes

Reactions: slipped_disc

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I'm shopping around for a step-up for an upcoming trip this fall to a wave that could be described as an emaciated version of Sunset: an occasional barrel but you're mostly turning.

My local shaper is recommending an epoxy board (EPS not PE). This seems unusual. Does anyone here prefer that kind of construction in bigger waves?
PE is resin, think you meant PU foam/blank?

From my experience:

Step up EPS w 6/4 deck n 6 bottom is okay.

PU still the best for big d!ck energy waves IMO, n others I know that charge way bigger sh!t than me.

PU foam n epoxy resin for the win.

Regarding Nathan Florence - I happened to watch a vid of his where he talks about how his make ratio at Pipe was significantly lower on his EPS boards vs PU though he liked the way the EPS felt.

Last edited: