Electric cars will save the earth

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
They always neglect to mention what EVs are REPLACING.

That comparison never ends well for their argument and they prefer to ignore it.
In your case an EV would be replacing your little truck. That doesn’t really need to happen though does it?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
In your case an EV would be replacing your little truck. That doesn’t really need to happen though does it?
It will happen eventually. The poor little truck is breaking down weekly.

I just had to buy new distributor, plugs, coils, wiring.....
The flasher keeps burning out.
Speedo no worky.
I had to patch up the exhaust, rear breaks leak, new brake master cylinder, new clutch slave cylinder, new starter motor ..... it's endless.

That thing paid back its carbon footprint multiple times over, during its 30 years of life on the road. So it being replaced with an EV is not going to be the worst thing for the environment.

Sure, the drivetrain will last half a million miles but everything around it is breaking.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
What I don't get is why are the Teslas always the slowest vehicles on the road?

In reality, they can smoke 99% of cars in existence, yet they are taking freeway ramps at 40mph.

Cannot compute.
Either they’re using FSD and/or a Software-American

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FSD should have never been allowed on public roads, caused deaths already.
Now it has so many nannies attached to it it is pointless to use

I tried a couple times when I had my trial and just gave up

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It will happen eventually. The poor little truck is breaking down weekly.

I just had to buy new distributor, plugs, coils, wiring.....
The flasher keeps burning out.
Speedo no worky.
I had to patch up the exhaust, rear breaks leak, new brake master cylinder, new clutch slave cylinder, new starter motor ..... it's endless.

That thing paid back its carbon footprint multiple times over, during its 30 years of life on the road. So it being replaced with an EV is not going to be the worst thing for the environment.

Sure, the drivetrain will last half a million miles but everything around it is breaking.
Yeah? Find a good mechanic, install the best replacement parts that you can find, you’ll be good for another decade. That’s piece replacement stuff. You don’t need more of a vehicle up there and anything else would spend its life lonely taking up space. That’s if your plan is to sail away after you sell your California scow. When you’ve taken long trips lately you’ve been renting a car, right?

Lots of others don’t have the need for different reasons.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yeah? Find a good mechanic, install the best replacement parts that you can find, you’ll be good for another decade. That’s piece replacement stuff. You don’t need more of a vehicle up there and anything else would spend its life lonely taking up space. That’s if your plan is to sail away after you sell your California scow. When you’ve taken long trips lately you’ve been renting a car, right?

Lots of others don’t have the need for different reasons.
Don't drive for work as much as I used to but would be nice to have a reliable car for longer trips. My Taliban truck is great for local driving, surfing and runs to the hardware store but not much else.

I found a good mechanic who quoted me $300 for the distributor etc, I found the same parts for $100.

It will just be sitting in the garage anyway.

Where I'm going, we don't need cars.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Don't drive for work as much as I used to but would be nice to have a reliable car for longer trips. My Taliban truck is great for local driving, surfing and runs to the hardware store but not much else.

I found a good mechanic who quoted me $300 for the distributor etc, I found the same parts for $100.

It will just be sitting in the garage anyway.

Where I'm going, we don't need cars.
That’s what I’m saying. You won’t have the need in your lifetime. You found the parts, the mechanic charges labor. You wanna work on your car or would you rather work on your boat?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That’s what I’m saying. You won’t have the need in your lifetime. You found the parts, the mechanic charges labor. You wanna work on your car or would you rather work on your boat?
I'd rather not work at all. :poop:

But yeah, my buddy Raul has been my mobile mechanic for years.
The only problem is that he really wants to buy my truck, so he's always making things sound worse than they are. :roflmao:

The thing is not even burning/leaking oil.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC

There's probably at least 10 step by step videos on YouTube on how to replace yourself

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I'd rather not work at all. :poop:

But yeah, my buddy Raul has been my mobile mechanic for years.
The only problem is that he really wants to buy my truck, so he's always making things sound worse than they are. :roflmao:

The thing is not even burning/leaking oil.
I dealt with a mechanic like that once. English guy who wanted my friends 68 MG. Told her it needed a new engine. I did some work on her other MG in exchange for the car. I turned the distributor 180 degrees and it purred right up. The English was embarrassed and she was pissed at me. Luckily her Bro's (Samoans) were my Surf Buds.Olivia 070.jpg

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I dealt with a mechanic like that once. English guy who wanted my friends 68 MG. Told her it needed a new engine. I did some work on her other MG in exchange for the car. I turned the distributor 180 degrees and it purred right up. The English was embarrassed and she was pissed at me. Luckily her Bro's (Samoans) were my Surf Buds.View attachment 180055
I called Raul back to say that Ive got the distributor and other stuff and asked if he could come to fix it and he was like 'the engine needs to come out, it's leaking oil everywhere, it's a mess". :roflmao:

I had a quart of oil sitting in my truck for a year in case it needed topping up but the engine didn't lose a drop.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Subaru's Eyesight is solid, much, much better than Tesla's.
Wonder how much it’s improved with model years? I have a 2019 Forester and it’s good for assisted cruise control and braking assist. But lane assist leaves a lot to be desired. It ping pongs within the lane. It’ll correct you if you drift but that’s pretty much all the lane assist is good for. My gf’s Hyundai puts it to shame. I’ve driven the entire length of the Arroyo Parkway which is windy and narrow as sh!t without touching the wheel or pedals just to see if I could. Wouldn’t dream of attempting that in my Subaru.