Electric car

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
View attachment 114134

These seem really cool, with interesting technology. I think they have some type of skateboard platform, thats what I think they call it at least. Amazon and Ford are pretty Interested in them, they have invested big money into the company.
They have a place in the city I work. I've seen the truck version on the road. Out of my price range, though.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
They have a place in the city I work. I've seen the truck version on the road. Out of my price range, though.

Yeah 67k is a lot of cheddar. I wonder if prices come down after Amazon adopts the platform for their delivery trucks and after the f150 enters the market. Its interesting ford invests half a billion into a start up, when its bringing its own product to market too

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'll buy your van
Time for a bidding war!

Ghostshaper, how many miles on your van? What is your back seat arrangementWhat I've discovered is that most insurance companies will not insure passengers in a converted cargo van. Back seats need to be installed by manufacturer or licensed installer ($$$). That news put my Transit search on hold.

Will yo be tent camping in the Tacoma?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
In the market for a new car. Need the carpool sticker for my 20 mi commute (can take over an hour in rush hour).

Wife is getting a Tesla at the end of this month, but she's working online, so I'll be using her car, too.

Test drove the Rav4 Prime: awesome power (second fastest Toyota behind the Supra), but $$$. Lease is about the same as the Tesla 3. 600 mi total range, only 42 mi all electric. I love Toyotas and their reliability.

VW ID4: $$$ and a dog. Shocked at how bad this drove, since I loved my eGolf. Wish VW brought the ID3 over here... or the GTE.

Tesla Y: weird to have a steering wheel and tablet and nothing else up front. Fun to drive. The 3 is the about the same to lease as the 2 previous cars we test drove.

Hyundai Ioniq5: Didn't test drive it b/c it's not here, yet, but prelim reviews are good. It's still a Hyundai. Wife has the Kia Niro Plugin and it sucks worse than any car we've owned. Not sure I trust the Hyundai to be as good as the Rav4 or Tesla.

Mini Cooper SE: super fun to drive. Range sucks, but one of the cheapest EVs along w/ the Leaf. Wife was thinking the grom can drive the Mini when he's 16. His school is just up the hill so he won't need a long range car. I would drive her Tesla if she doesn't need to be back on campus.

Background: we have a Transit van to camp, road trip, and haul big crap in, which is why we can have 2 electric commuters. Going to sell the van and get a Tacoma in the next 1.5 years (when grom will get his license).
New Hyundai all electric looks pretty sick in a retro sort of way and has been reviewing very well against teslas and other brands. think it comes out this fall. wont do zero to sixty in 1 second but lets be honest - cant use that sh!t anyway.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Time for a bidding war!

Ghostshaper, how many miles on your van? What is your back seat arrangementWhat I've discovered is that most insurance companies will not insure passengers in a converted cargo van. Back seats need to be installed by manufacturer or licensed installer ($$$). That news put my Transit search on hold.

Get a passenger transit and take out the rear seats you dont need and sell 'em, and put in a rear bed platform. Easy peasy. Having all the seat mount points make for great tie downs, and it's got rear heat and ac and rear window airbags. We drove ours 8500 miles in the fall from Charleston all over the west with the kids with Zero mechanical issues. The Transit was the office and second bedroom. If they had an electric with Tesla range, I'd definitely want one.
1628192435839.png

1628192090329.png
1628192298927.png

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Time for a bidding war!

We have 30k on our van. Got it in 2017. It's been to 30-something states (including Alaska) and a few provinces. Did the whole outer banks up to Niagara Falls.

You can buy a crew van now w/ the 2nd row of seats and rear curtain air bags. They didn't have that model in 2017. I put in the stock rails and a 3 person bench. There were some of the holes in the cargo w/ the nuts welded on the undercarriage already. I used those when available, and w/ the holes that I had to add myself, I welded nuts to 1/4" stock and bolted to those underneath. Many of the bolts go through the unibody frame, so I'm confident that the seat is secure.

I would advise against deleting seats from a passenger van just b/c of the extra windows: you don't need them. They cause too much heat and people have had problems w/ them shattering randomly. I like the security and stealthiness of the cargo. I added a window to the passenger slider door, just for visibility reasons. I also have white perforated vinyl on that window and the rear door windows to cut down on heat and so people can't peak inside. The crew van has side windows on the passenger slider and aft of the driver's (just like the Sprinter crew version).

Probably going to shell out for the AT Overland Habitat shell on the Tacoma. Now that my groms are getting older, we're not going to do as much camping as we have, but still would like my sons to have something to take on their own trips w/ their friends when they're a little older. We'll probably keep the Tacoma forever or until it dies.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
wuts the cheapest path to a carpool sticker?

did this game preCOVID car price increases and it was workable for some of the leases.

personally don’t want to own any EV for the next 5yrs at the earliest but gotta love the carpool loop hile and free charging at work.

I’ll always keep the taco for when I need a real vehicle.
I drive in the carpool lane pretty much every day, alone in my work truck that runs on gas and gets 12 mph. Going on 10 years and no ticket yet.

What‘s a ticket? $400?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
you towed with that thing?!

nuts
It tows great. And I have a weight distributing hitch. Trailer weighs only 3000lbs. Well within van's 4500 lbs capacity and 270HP motor. Took it up to Tahoe and all over. Shift on the fly with 6 speed trans was great for coming down the backside of Tahoe into the Owens valley too. Obviousy I put a trailer brake controller on it. And I added a set of bigger Cooper Discoverer AT3 Tires - which I highly recommend btw. The seats are really heavy - I think there's probably nearly 1000 lbs less weight with all but three of the seats out.

Last edited:
Reactions: afoaf

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We have 30k on our van. Got it in 2017. It's been to 30-something states (including Alaska) and a few provinces. Did the whole outer banks up to Niagara Falls.

You can buy a crew van now w/ the 2nd row of seats and rear curtain air bags. They didn't have that model in 2017. I put in the stock rails and a 3 person bench. There were some of the holes in the cargo w/ the nuts welded on the undercarriage already. I used those when available, and w/ the holes that I had to add myself, I welded nuts to 1/4" stock and bolted to those underneath. Many of the bolts go through the unibody frame, so I'm confident that the seat is secure.

I would advise against deleting seats from a passenger van just b/c of the extra windows: you don't need them. They cause too much heat and people have had problems w/ them shattering randomly. I like the security and stealthiness of the cargo. I added a window to the passenger slider door, just for visibility reasons. I also have white perforated vinyl on that window and the rear door windows to cut down on heat and so people can't peak inside. The crew van has side windows on the passenger slider and aft of the driver's (just like the Sprinter crew version).

Probably going to shell out for the AT Overland Habitat shell on the Tacoma. Now that my groms are getting older, we're not going to do as much camping as we have, but still would like my sons to have something to take on their own trips w/ their friends when they're a little older. We'll probably keep the Tacoma forever or until it dies.
We have a limo tint on the rear windows of our passenger Transit and they seem to keep out heat pretty well. My daughter is a hella seamstress and she sewed curtains for all the windows. I love the all around windows -- though that crew van option is surely a solid one too. The rear AC and heat on the passenger model work very very well. I'd really like to add a vented window to the side. https://www.campervan-hq.com/products/transit-windows-130-148-passenger-side-sliding-door-tvent-fw293r

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What‘s ironic is that the work I do with that truck is far more beneficial to our environment than buying a new electric vehicle.
not all eco warriors are wrapped in vegan leather leotards, only the ones seeking a pat on the back.

my biggest holdback on EV’s is they look like EVs.

id be lying if I said I wanted an EV for the eco aspect. It’s entirely the govt kick backs, HOV access and new toy factor.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I just checked. Crew and passenger vans (low mileage, used) run approximately 10-15k more than cargo vans, pushing them out of my price point (I would like to keep any vehicle within about 5k of what I think I can sell my vanagon for (25k+-).

Were you ale to insure your Transit with the DIY seat installation? What company?

Starting to look at extended cab pickups with 6.5 foot beds ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostshaper

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
If the pricing is comparable, Tesla is a no brainer IMO.

Much better range and a much, much easier ability to charge while not a home. On the charging, nothing comes close. There are also plenty of superchargers around OC, including two in San Clemente.

If the price is equal, go Y over 3. If not, go 3.

Reactions: jkb and ghostshaper

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I just checked. Crew and passenger vans (low mileage, used) run approximately 10-15k more than cargo vans, pushing them out of my price point (I would like to keep any vehicle within about 5k of what I think I can sell my vanagon for (25k+-).

Were you ale to insure you Transit with the DIY seat installation? What company?

Starting to look at extended cab pickups with 6.5 foot beds ...
what do you need more than two seats for?

realistically, how often would you even have a passenger in the back?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
what do you need more than two seats for?

realistically, how often would you even have a passenger in the back?
Daughter still comes with us everywhere. Sometimes with a friend in tow. Although, since the pandemic it's scary how easily they (millenials) adapted to online only relationships. It's almost like they don't care about actually meeting up and now her "besties" are in Canada and France.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper