El Salvador recs

Jan 15, 2020
Hello fellow ocean dwellers. I want to go down to El Sal to check it out for a week or so. I found a nice airbnb in El Sunzal for a good price. My plan is to rent a motorcycle with racks and explore the coast. Boardwise, I'm taking a daily driver shortboard and a fish. Thinking to leave the Ghost at home as I'm not sure the waves there call for it. I could be wrong, I've never been and I'm just judging from YouTube clips I've seen. Thoughts? Any place to rent bikes, they seem rather scarce. Thanks broskis.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
No step up needed. Couple of fun waves in the area. Sunzal, zonte, el tunco, k59 etc. I'd skip the motorcycle and go for a car if possible. I feel like it would be pretty brutal driving around in the heat with a motorcycle and these waves are close but they're not that close and it's not like driving a motorcycle in Bali.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Driving is mellow compared to, say, Mexico, but it's still death before dishonor especially on narrow roads.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I would recommend driving a car too. The people drive like crazy and you could easily get killed or ran off the road on a motorcycle. All the roads are through the hills too - long distances. What a beautiful place though! I would go back in a hearbeat. I would suggest surfing K59, Mizata and Punta Roca. There are some hidden beach breaks in between the road to K59 and Mizata that you could score too. Have fun and bring a rain jacket, sunscreen, and lots of small bills ($5's and $10's)

Reactions: lens_vagabond
Jan 15, 2020
Well, I'm here now. I see the concerns re a motorcycle. The roads are windy and way busier than Nica. It's also been raining a lot. I rented one in Nica with no issues as the roads are smaller and without traffic between Colorados and Popoyo but opted for a car here. Surf's been terrible lol, onshores all day, everyday. Outside of my first couple of days where Sunzal had some size it's been sh!t. Not complaining though, the country and the people are beautiful and at least now I learned some setups for the next trip down.

Edit: I'd recommend getting a 4x4 if you're renting a car here. The paths to the beach are fuuuucked up, I almost destroyed my regular rental car. Bent the front rim and everything on the car was rattling after a couple of expeditions. Luckily, I was only charged an extra $45 and got a new car to destroy :D.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater