Effects of Family Structure on Crime

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
casa_mugrienta said:
...to be physically present...
military dads, dads with jobs that require a lot of travel....are they bad dads?

are their kids disadvantaged by their physical absence?

if so, can that be counterbalanced in other ways?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
My wife's dad was a fisherman - gone much of the time. That didn't mean he stopped being part of the household or not-the-role-model. In fact, making those sacrifices in order to support the family unit is usually considered a virtue, far moreso than running off to Bali to bang island girls.

As far as raising kids to be functional adults goes I think that people doing what they have to do > people doing what they want to do. Obviously best if a parent can do both but sometimes they need to prioritize.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
military dads, dads with jobs that require a lot of travel....are they bad dads?

are their kids disadvantaged by their physical absence?

if so, can that be counterbalanced in other ways?
Absolutely

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm looking at an opportunity at work that would put me in APAC for a few months....

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yeah, I don't think that's going to render you as less than their primary role model nor negate all those years you've already spent with them.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I know a guy who is very English upper crusty.

At age 6 he was sent off to boarding school. Saw his parents on Holidays occasionally. From there he went to college. Then to work. Pretty much his parents were done with him at age 6. He told me everyone he knew was raised that way. He wanted to raise his kids that way but his American wife was having none of it. But yeah, keep them alive until age 6 and then send them off for the hired help to raise. Pip pip, stiff upper lip.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I know a guy who is very English upper crusty.

At age 6 he was sent off to boarding school. Saw his parents on Holidays occasionally. From there he went to college. Then to work. Pretty much his parents were done with him at age 6. He told me everyone he knew was raised that way. He wanted to raise his kids that way but his American wife was having none of it. But yeah, keep them alive until age 6 and then send them off for the hired help to raise. Pip pip, stiff upper lip.
I'm guessing the last time they visited the dentist was also at the age of 6.

• Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This.

Also, a lot of the screeching about “traditional family” comes from the people who are stuck in unhappy relationships and who don’t have the courage to change their circumstances.

Which circles back to their favorite feeling - spitefulness. GDaddy talks about eternal adolescence and how terrible it is to just go surfing and be happy.

Everybody should be miserable in relationships just like they are because that’s what real men do.

How does a child benefit exactly growing up with miserable parents who don’t get along?

Maybe family structure in America is changing? The number of married adults is around 50%. In the 60s that number was around 72%.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Maybe family structure in America is changing? The number of married adults is around 50%. In the 60s that number was around 72%.
The changes that are occurring are the point. At issue is whether these changes are for the better or the worse.

Some people think that the benefits of allowing 25% of the parents to split to Bali (or to the next town down the road) to bang randos is totally worth the costs to their kids of being raised by the other parent who's working without a net. Other people take exception to the idea that we should be referring to this as progress.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I wonder if he told the nurses that assisted in his recent surgery how low of an opinion he has of their profession and that they are just bedpan changers
I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about Drainer.

He's the bed pan changer, surely nobody would trust him with a health of a patient.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
The gang bang parties were a successful troll thread. A joke. Not an IRL thing.
You've been telling us for years that you never troll.

So which is it, are you a liar or a troll?

It doesn't really matter because you're both.

That thread was not a joke.
You didn't post it under your real handle for a reason. Your Caca handle is a joke.

Traditional family man. ROFLMAO

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Even though crime has gone down dramatically, I suspect the perps are still disproportionately products of broken homes.

Also worthy to note: Violent crime peaked in the early '90s. Right around that time there was a spate of "get tough on crime" laws passed around the country. Crime began dropping dramatically as perps started doing serious time.

Current "criminal justice reform" movements center around not throwing convicted felons in jail, and letting many of the ones currently in jail, out. Not a politically winning idea in the entire history of politics.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
The changes that are occurring are the point. At issue is whether these changes are for the better or the worse.

Some people think that the benefits of allowing 25% of the parents to split to Bali (or to the next town down the road) to bang randos is totally worth the costs to their kids of being raised by the other parent who's working without a net. Other people take exception to the idea that we should be referring to this as progress.
It's not up to you to "allow" what people do with their lives.

I thought you are scared of the government overreach and hated authoritarians?

Even though crime has gone down dramatically, I suspect the perps are still disproportionately products of broken homes.
Let us remember, the original claim is that "leftist policies" caused this and were a motivating factor for single mothers.

Which is total rubish.

Society is changing. Sry.

Is there a study of children who grew up in "traditional families" where parents hated each other but stayed together "for the sanctity of marriage" like ifail and Gdiddy did?

I bet there are a lot of fvcked up kids coming out of those marriages.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I never said it was up to me or that I wanted gov't to force people to live a certain way - I just want gov't to stop actively and aggressively enabling the really bad choices on the no-strings-attached basis.

The unhappy marriage situation you constantly accuse me of is hilarious. How many couples have you even met who not only have the long history together but who also work together? I'm literally within arm's reach of my wife most of the day during the week - how would that even be possible over so many years if we disliked each other in any way?

As for children growing up in 2-parent households or with at least 2 active parents that's not nothing. All my sons are in LTRs with good women. Those women were all raised in 2-parent households, too. These guys are choosing their partners based on their own priorities and then putting in the effort to make it work. No accidents or coincidences involved.

My middle son has been with his SO (they're not married so I guess that's not traditional) for 16 years. Just that relationship right there has already gone on longer than your longest adult relationship. That indicates to me that he's obviously been more successful at adult relationships than you. He surfs better than you, too.

Their daughter is 14 and in her first year in HS; she just got invited to her first Homecoming. Nobody on either side of her extended family has gone through a divorce in her lifetime so she's never seen an example of single parenting up close. The chances of her approaching her serious relationships with the expectation they'll be contentious and end up with her being the single parent are about as low as it gets.

She's genuinely "privileged" alright, and that advantage has zero to do with inherited wealth or unearned benefits being passed down from 150 years ago. She might fck up because that's always possible, but if she does it will be by her own hand and not because she didn't know any better. I fully expect her to assume personal responsibility for every choice she makes. I expect that of everybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot