Effects of Family Structure on Crime

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You obviously think this is a good trend. Good for you.
I don't think that kids growing up without fathers and single parents rasing children is ideal.

But it's not the "break up of the family values" that you like to screech about and blame women for.

Times are different. Kids will be just fine.

No need to punish and belittle women and children for it just because you have the fantasy of turning back time.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
"BUT...

how orwellian do you want to get here?

do you:

1) eliminate welfare child credits altogether?
2) limit it to one and done?
3) require (temporary) sterilization to continue to receive support?
4) ...other? "
The state gets it power from the people, which means any actual reversal of these trends has to come from the ground up. I daresay improvements in the level of effective parenting will pay off in a more civil and more productive society. I think this issue is arguably of more effect on the general health and welfare than universal income or gun violence issues, and deserves far more airtime in the public discourse.

Look at the post above where FF thinks the kids will be just fine. Taking that reasoning to a logical extreme if father participation in the family unit is superfluous for 25% of the kids then why not for 100% of the kids? I think this is the wrong direction, and that mocking parents for putting their family's interests ahead of their own is a bad plan, even if only from a practical perspective.

This is especially so when considering how influential parental examples tend to be in terms of how their kids will grow up. I mean, why else do parents want to avoid exposing their kids to behavior they don't condone if not in recognition of the primacy of personal example?

I think that buying the fantasy that the welfare mom is "doing it on her own" despite her reliance on the State is a profoundly dishonest play that in the long run serves to hurt the kids more than it helps them. Is that the example we want to venerate and prompt our kids to follow? I don't think so.

Same with human relationships and conflict resolution; I think personal coping skills in meeting our challenges are more effective than reliance on external codes of conduct to avoid those challenges. I want my kids to deal with their problems, not expect or wait for other people to solve those problems for them.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
A few thoughts:

-crime rates are at historic lows
-marriage rates are at all-time lows, so you may need to define "broken home" a little better
-what kind of crimes are we talking about? Nonviolent drug offense charges account for an astounding number of convictions
-you need to account for discrepancies in the criminal justice system that exist in high poverty areas. People without money for lawyers are often forced to take plea deals even if they're innocent.
-maybe divorce and "broken families" are a symptom of high crime rates and not the root cause.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
As a teacher, I have to say that kids with problems are much more likely to come from broken or massively dysfunctional homes. There is a direct correlation that anyone who works with youth in any capacity knows intimately. Sure, there are kids from model homes who are wrecks and kids from nightmare homes that are awesome, but statistically the correlation is striking.

If a mountain of anecdotal evidence doesn't pursuade anyone, then the enormous amount of empirical evidence collected on the subject over the last several decades should do the trick.

If the overwhelming anecdotal and empirical evidence doesn't convince someone, then we can assume they have a political or moral agenda that is unmoved by any evidence, sometimes called "confirmation bias".

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
...and deserves far more airtime in the public discourse.
this is what I'm driving at....to what end?

you feel strongly about this. it makes sense to me.

what are the solutions?

what would public discourse drive us towards, policy-wise?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
As a teacher, I have to say that kids with problems are much more likely to come from broken or massively dysfunctional homes. There is a direct correlation that anyone who works with youth in any capacity knows intimately. Sure, there are kids from model homes who are wrecks and kids from nightmare homes that are awesome, but statistically the correlation is striking.

If a mountain of anecdotal evidence doesn't pursuade anyone, then the enormous amount of empirical evidence collected on the subject over the last several decades should do the trick.

If the overwhelming anecdotal and empirical evidence doesn't convince someone, then we can assume they have a political or moral agenda that is unmoved by any evidence, sometimes called "confirmation bias".

I think poverty should be the variable, the correlate one focuses on.

But that costs money.

Better to shame the single slut moms

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

what are the solutions?

More bedwetting/I’m a victim threads.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad

what are the solutions?

We work on smoking in public service ads, we work on smoking and substance abuse in public service ads, we work on teen pregnancy issues. Those approaches seem to be yielding results.

More messaging about the parenting, spending time with the kids, spending time with the grandkids. 2 gay parents working together are going to do better than a single parent trying to do it all alone. Hell, include the other alphabets in with that if it matters to people. More family, less village because the village has obviously been fkg up.

I'd almost want to give a spiff to single parents who were raising their kids in the same household with their parents or other extended family, oldskool. Then the kid isn't being shunted off to daycare while the parent is working or finishing off an education.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
We work on smoking in public service ads, we work on smoking and substance abuse in public service ads, we work on teen pregnancy issues. Those approaches seem to be yielding results.

More messaging about the parenting, spending time with the kids, spending time with the grandkids. 2 gay parents working together are going to do better than a single parent trying to do it all alone. Hell, include the other alphabets in with that if it matters to people. More family, less village because the village has obviously been fkg up.

I'd almost want to give a spiff to single parents who were raising their kids in the same household with their parents or other extended family, oldskool. Then the kid isn't being shunted off to daycare while the parent is working or finishing off an education.
I was thinking of some sort of marriage/cohabitation bonus on taxes...accruing

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Might not hurt. Education benefits toward certain employment skills might be an effective hook for some situations as long as we could mostly keep the for-profit mall schools out of it. Or maybe some online coursework - you finish the requirements for this cert and we bump your benefits, and then include some parenting skills or child development and education content.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
That's funny because you dismissed the same approach when it comes to guns.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias

what are the solutions?
First, Squididdy will build a time machine and then put 330 million people in it and take them back to the 1960s when women knew their place.

1568860385483.jpeg

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Back in the day" most certainly does exist, and it stands as a demonstration of what people were capable and willing to do. It's not nothing. These trends are not occurring due to forces these individuals cannot control. People in 2019 do not have fewer alternatives than people did in 1960 or 1980 or even 2000. If they're making different choices it's because they want to.
Well fvcking said.

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You mean your choices?
I would guess most people wouldn't choose to live 6,000 miles away from their kid like you did.

I mean, I'm just guessing.

But yeah, they probably wouldn't do that.
My son lives in Oceanside but thank you for your concern.

Are you still shooting blanks?

Please continue with your neo-fash fantasy plans to make women do what you want them to do because you think you know what's best for them.

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The conversation isn't about the women, it's about raising kids to be functional and not self centered assholes chasing the perpetual adolescence of me-first, fck-you.