EC keg ride, Stretch 2x4 and it's comps...

Dec 1, 2022
Revisiting this topic, but wanted to explore a solid (winter) East Coast board for those handful of days when it's 6ft+ and square. I am a certified Stretch devotee I'll confess, Pug, SuperBuzz, No Friends in particular. All are super short and super thin-I love sk8 decks and most of my boards are 1.75" at the stringer. In fact I've been riding these boards for so long in so many different parts of the world that the standard hpsb feels foreign to me now. But the bullet nose doesn't serve me well when it is piping-usually have to shoot out into the flats off the drop and miss the barrel. Of course the 2x4 would seem the obvious answer but it seems like a standard short board outline ala pulled in nose. In contrast, boards like the PigDog, PotatoLauncher, Slayer, Zenagain, Rozbern Hound to name few have a much fuller nose block with the pulled in pin out back. How do these boards compare? The Zenagain seems the most well rounded but without caressing one I can't figure out how so much volume is packed into the listed dims on that board? Does it have a really full foil nose and tail? I'm certainly not opposed to being sold on a 2x4, I'm such a weirdo Stretch fanboy that I feel like I'm betraying the many years of epic boards he's made by looking elsewhere. Any and all input greatly appreciated, cheers all

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I'd stay with the Stretch single to double and perfect rockers and go for the 2x4. I have had all of the Stretch single to double "buzz" boards and the 2x4 is a natural step up from the super buzz or buzz saw for the conditions you described. I have found Stretch's rockers are perfect for the better beach break days in the Outer Banks. The only other board that I like as much as the 2x4 in our good surf is Pyzel's Ghost. They are not same. Ghost is a lower tail rocker and more nose rocker. Ghost is a good thruster while the 2x4 is a great quad and thruster. My 2x4 had a wider tail width at 12" from bottom than my Ghost, which you could have Stretch modify to your liking. I have also had a Lynn Shell shaped one-off of a Pig Dog and it is not the same design. It is for what it says, only tubes. Seems to like holding your line with minor adjustments. 2x4 is more like hpsb with the wide point in the middle of the board joined with appropriate rocker and thus has more nimble adjustments and still comes off the bottom.

But that's only my .02

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I have a 6'0" skate deck round tail 2x4 that I ride in similar conditions and I love it -- super neutral (in the sense I rarely notice the board in a bad way) and confidence inspiring board. Mine is a dedicated 4 fin but I have friends who ride theirs as thrusters and love them. Definitely a good wave board -- despite being a good paddler and wave catcher it's no fun in flat or small waves.

I would say the 2x4 is a lot fuller than a "traditional" shortboard (especially thru the nose and as mentioned wider tail) but definitely less extreme than the fuller nose stepups you mentioned. Some of that choice I think is up to personal preference.

Another plus with Stretch (which you get because you have a bunch of his boards) is the construction given the waves you'll be surfing the board in. My 2x4 is at least 5 years old and has made multiple mainland mex trips, etc. and is still going strong which is pretty amazing given the waves I surf it in.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Call stretch n work out a board for described conditions, explaining why the model(s) you have aren’t working in said conditions.

Some guys like having boards from different shapers and make it work; but I’d say for many - that just becomes an endless rabbit hole.

Reactions: Thunderbird six
Dec 1, 2022
Aye, I've certainly found going off the 'Stretch Reservation' has usually left me frustrated. Whatever he's got in the mix with my boards they've consistently been the go-and yes the build is without comparison. I think my hang up on pulled in noses has been tripping me up to my disadvantage. I like the thought of the wider nose block on the other models as a compromise between bullet nose (Pugs/SuperBuzz) and traditional hpbs. But not every wave is throaty up here-even when it's on, ie it'd be nice to be able to turn. Have asked about a sk8 on a 2x4 but that was shot down out of the gate by Stretch. would love to try it on that model, but not gunna push it.

So I generally ride short, thin low volume boards roughly 5'3 x 19.25 x 1.75 (sk8) around 23-24L. I struggle with too much volume but will want the paddle given the waves I want it for and the amount of rubber we wear up here in Maine in winter (when it tends to be best) Thinking something in the 5'5-5'6 x 18.75 x 2.125? Does this sound viable given what I'm currently riding. Of course, will put this to Stretch and Dylan, but curious what you think given your collective experience with this design.
Many thanks for all the feedback thus far, it's really helpful to me. This has been something that's been gnawing at me for a while now

ps Pugs are, in my opinion, a very under appreciated design. Ridden them all over and always great in a wide variety of conditions guess they had to step aside for the Buzz family?