east of Teahupoo

Oct 18, 2005
The normal road ends at Teahupoo but there are still some interesting passes to the east. has anyone explored these, is there any info ?
delphicly,
Noa

g

Nep status
Jan 21, 2002
Santa Barbara
There are a few more passes south (east) of the end of the road - one is a really good right but it is not a full pass, really just a crack forming in the reef that closes out if it gets too big - but is really fun in a medium/smaller south swell. You would need someone to point it out. Being a right it is pretty different as well. Best way to surf it is go during south swells and stay at Pension Bonjouir which is actually paddling distance from it - a looong paddle but you can do it. They have kayaks too.

I have seen the big pass to the south of that - not sure of the name - break, but it is kind of sketchy and not a really good wave. I was in a sailboat coming through it on a big swell and we almost got sucked into the reef with a big set coming through. It was scary. The wave didn't look like you would want to ride it.

Oct 18, 2005
Thanks a lot for your info. i'll be sure to check it all out when i'm there next. on the subject of the pension you mention, i'm looking for cheap accomodation in that area. is Pention Bonjouir a good place, any other options ? would you have any contact details for these places ? thanks a million for your help.
delphicly,
Noa

g

Nep status
Jan 21, 2002
Santa Barbara
here ya go You can stay with them - bring bug spray, mozzie net and cheapest way to go is bring a tent and use their kitchen. If you go the tent route - bring a good ground cover - rains allot. Bring whatever food from mainland or buy at the grocery store in Tahiti and you are set. It can get expensive with them if you rent a bungalow and eat on their meal plan ect. The kayaks are free to get to the right and you can walk to Kumbaya from there (a little far walk) but if you got the time - no worries.

Oct 18, 2005
Thank you VERY much for that ! so they allow camping there (obviously for a fee) and one to bring ones own food ?
delphicly,
Noa

g

Nep status
Jan 21, 2002
Santa Barbara
Yes, camping is the way to go. Best to spend as much time there and can use it as home base, all of the family surfs so you will get good insight where to go, if they like you they will take you with them. I think they charge $5-10 per night to camp or $60 for a bungalow. Camping is the way to go if you want to stay for a while. Teahupoo is not gnarly all the time and gets really good and manageable in the off months Nov - March. do it.