East Coast I Love you

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
the best player is not dominican

View attachment 166004
That guy is a beast.

I have friends that are lifetime Buxters that work up there and come here and camp on the beach for months at a time, been doing it for decades. I might have lived there in the late 80’s but for lack of consistent surf. Fishing is excellent. But nah.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I would assume that a good portion of the people in the water that you meet in Southern California who say they are from the "east coast", are actually from the midwest, and are probably exaggerating their true origins by about 500-1000 miles in the east direction, just to try to establish some type of coastal credibility.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
That guy is a beast.

I have friends that are lifetime Buxters that work up there and come here and camp on the beach for months at a time, been doing it for decades. I might have lived there in the late 80’s but for lack of consistent surf. Fishing is excellent. But nah.
Let the hippie ride, I say.
We all have a place that gives us and our families what we like the most out of life.
Its home.

To each his own.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
I would assume that a good portion of the people in the water that you meet in Southern California who say they are from the "east coast", are actually from the midwest, and are probably exaggerating their true origins by about 500-1000 miles in the east direction, just to try to establish some type of coastal credibility.
I get it.
The transplants coming here are something else.
They can't change a tire let alone weather the first Noreaster.

I can only imagine the scale there.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
most people (in my experience) that complain about it here aren't from here.

born and raised here and I can't say I'm thrilled with the changes but change is inevitable so eitehr adapt, or stf and get out

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
most people (in my experience) that complain about it here aren't from here.

born and raised here and I can't say I'm thrilled with the changes but change is inevitable so eitehr adapt, or stf and get out

my 87 yo father born and raised in the south bay, says the thing he likes about la is that nobody gives a fvck who you are or where your from

Reactions: frontsidegrab

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
so when someone asks where you are from what do you say?

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Disregarding the outer banks, the North East - including jerz has to have the biggest concentration of kooks in the world. There are pockets of decent surfers in Jerz, its true...but on the balance it is really skewed towards the kook side of things. I feel like Rutger Hauer in blade runner describing the things ive seen...fullsuits cut in half with the guys wearing only the bottom...softops pearled up to the fins on an overhead day...so so many leashes on the front foot...I try to be a positive guy but I have run over so many drop in and ditch my board in front of you speedbumps I cant even count. We dont win much over here, but we win this one - I am sure of it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Same for the good surfers in CA.
No matter where you go - there you are.
I'd disagree.

Plenty of great surfers here have never been anywhere. It's the same way around the planet - plenty of guys who rip have only surfed a few different waves their whole life.

Contrasted with the East Coast - pretty much every guy that rips has spent considerable time elsewhere (usually Costa Rica or Nicaragua). At least in my experience.

For the most part, unless you're top tier, you just don't get waves often enough on the East Coast to develop and maintain your surfing.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
hey dude where r you from?

hawaii

oh - great place to be from - what high school did you go to?

game over

• Haha
Reactions: frontsidegrab