Earthquake

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
They are reminders that we are insignificant. Most of us walk around in our daily lives believing that we matter. Earthquakes are particularly good at exposing the truth, exposing our futility.

They come without warning, you can’t see them. The foundation upon which everything sits becomes hostile to you and everything you’ve built. They are planetary.

Your mother‘s reaction tells me her internal beliefs about our place in the universe being scraped away.

Your reaction tells me you are closer to acceptance of our piddly little place in life.
Sounds like you've achieved nirvana like Curt Cobain.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah everyone just started laughing at the novelty of it. There was a disappointing lack of hysteria.

Even our token tranny laughed it off and they can typically be counted on to bring the drama :D

rainbow road was delighted

instagram feed was quickly awash with gleeful #EarthquakeNYC posts

I celebrated by leaving the office at 1:30
You left early when you could've been profiting.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Anyone remember the World Series Earthquake in Bay Area when the fans cheered, not realizing how major it was?
I was driving a rental car at the time. I thought I had a low pressure tire or a flat tire (same sensation). Pulled over, checked all 4 tires which seemed fine. When I got back in the car a guy on the radio was reporting on the quake.

• Wow
Reactions: r32

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
1989 Loma Prieta 6,9.

I was 2 stories underground at work processing and packaging mortgage loans on 2nd street just a few blocks south of Market Street.... that whole landfill area?

Fook me running, one of the most scared I have EVAR been.

Library like stacks of loan files flew everywhere, steel girders that were retrofitted into the building seemed to dance like one of those blow up dolls at a used car lot on a really windy day. I thought I was going to die. I KNEW I was going to die.

But, I didn't.
that time when everybody learned the word "liquefaction":cheers:

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
They are reminders that we are insignificant. Most of us walk around in our daily lives believing that we matter. Earthquakes are particularly good at exposing the truth, exposing our futility.

They come without warning, you can’t see them. The foundation upon which everything sits becomes hostile to you and everything you’ve built. They are planetary.

Your mother‘s reaction tells me her internal beliefs about our place in the universe being scraped away.

Your reaction tells me you are closer to acceptance of our piddly little place in life.
it's more than that, but you're on the right track. earthquakes come out of a clear blue sky: one minute, you're walking along thinking your thoughts, worrying your worries, stressing your stresses, got that thing at work going on, got some problem at home, whatever's on your mind....and an instant later, none of that matters. earthquakes make you re-evaluate everything instantly - whatever was important a minute ago is gone and all that matters now is the safety of you and your loved ones.

so in a flash, you're back to what's really important. that's not a bad thing, imho. it's what i like about hurricanes too. makes you focus on what really matters. ymmv.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
location location location, NYC is full of buildings built before ww2 that are stacked masonry structures. Not gonna take much more than that one to have a kobe or mexico city.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
True dat. Brickwork can't absorb the seismic swell.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
A couple hundred years of weakening structures in need of a good culling. Haven't had an update in a long time, a lot of teetering energy there waiting for that da?