Doug Doering, 61, of Santa Cruz

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Somebody here must know this guy:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

"Doug Doering, 61, of Santa Cruz knew it would cost him to heat the outdoor pool at his Palm Springs vacation home but decided to bite the bullet. Last winter, his monthly bill was about $980, a cost he thought he could handle. After all, he thought, what's the point of a 25,000-gallon pool if you don't swim in it?

Less than a week before his billing cycle closed, he received a warning from SoCalGas that rates were spiking. By then, the pool had been heated for more than a week. When the bill arrived, it was $2,770."

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
My gas bill used to be $15 in summer and about $35-45 in winter.

It's now $180

Incredible. I don't even run the heater unless I have to and it's been cold lately. Colder than the past few years for sure.

I'm in uggs and layers at home now. Crazy.

I'm going to switch to propane when I move to my townhouse after I get my sis out.

Unfortunately, that's probably not an option so I'm screwed unless I just don't use the gas.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just got my bill for the month.

CC9D88AE-B1F4-4D23-9C3D-A68A5AED8BB3.jpeg

That was after a $50 “California Climate Credit” that we received this month. So it was more like $89 which is slightly more than it was last month. We moved into the house in October so I don’t have a comparison to this time last year. But we’ve been cooking a lot with gas and doing way too much laundry with a gas dryer.

I did get an email from SoCal Gas warning us about prices and this included a bill tracker estimate for the month which proved to be fairly accurate. If Doug D checked his email he may have seen it coming and had time to change his usage to save some money. But he’d rather just complain publicly.

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It's been pretty warm in the Mid-Atlantic this year, many years but anyway, we heat with electric now, bills are through the roof and I don't know why, I guess I'm going to have to figure out the pain in add way, I can't think of anything different but it's like 35-40% more than it was last year which was quite warm as well. $380. Down from 410 last month cause we're trying to conserve a little so far. The elevated rates don't bear this out so whatever. I do have a fireplace but it's not efficient when we still need to heat the other end of the house, so she tells me(she's right) but I never had to beg to have a fire when I was still drinking. The good ole days in so many ways.
Enjoy!!

Reactions: keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I just got my bill for the month.

View attachment 148375

That was after a $50 “California Climate Credit” that we received this month. So it was more like $89 which is slightly more than it was last month. We moved into the house in October so I don’t have a comparison to this time last year. But we’ve been cooking a lot with gas and doing way too much laundry with a gas dryer.

I did get an email from SoCal Gas warning us about prices and this included a bill tracker estimate for the month which proved to be fairly accurate. If Doug D checked his email he may have seen it coming and had time to change his usage to save some money. But he’d rather just complain publicly.
My bill has always run about $30-$50/month.

I haven't seen much change.

I don't think I could use as much energy as it seems a lot of people do in my area even if I tried.

I'm like, WTF are you powering?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

I don't think I could use as much energy as it seems a lot of people do in my area even if I tried.

Wall heaters are horribly inefficient. That’s what drives my bill in the winter months, and I’m a Scrooge with gas . . . . But my wife isn’t :toilet:

Reactions: keenfish and $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

I guess our heat is electric. But in the last three months we’ve had a lot of unexpected and expected things that have really upped our use of our laundry which uses gas for both the hot water and dryer for well beyond what I’d consider to be normal for a couple of adults with a small dog. We’ve also been cooking at home a lot more than usual with no regard for saving gas. I actually found my LADWP bill for electricity, sewage and trash to be more eye popping at around $900. But that was over a 3 month stretch cause they don’t bill you monthly.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I guess our heat is electric. But in the last three months we’ve had a lot of unexpected and expected things that have really upped our use of our laundry which uses gas for both the hot water and dryer for well beyond what I’d consider to be normal for a couple of adults with a small dog. We’ve also been cooking at home a lot more than usual with no regard for saving gas. I actually found my LADWP bill for electricity, sewage and trash to be more eye popping at around $900. But that was over a 3 month stretch cause they don’t bill you monthly.
Cooking on a gas stove is relatively low in usage, I doubt that’s moving the needle too much.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
$900! My last one was $245. WTF are you doing in your home? Granted, it's just me now but even when there was two of us it never exceeded $400.

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
From Google:
In 2021, New York City became the largest city in the United States to ban gas connections for new buildings. Starting in 2023, newly constructed buildings under seven stories will not be allowed to use gas for cooking or space heating, and beginning in 2027 this will also apply to taller buildings.

The overlords are trying to replace gas with electric.

In my area, they are installing "smart" electric meters. With this, they will be able to shut off your electricity remotely. So if they think Doug's carbon footprint is too big, they can just shut him down, which they can't easily do with gas - get it? Conspiracy theory? Maybe they are not targeting individuals yet, but in Colorado, I hear that they've already done the remote shutdowns during peak usage.

Mods, please move this thread to the Politics forum.:nana:

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
In my area, they are installing "smart" electric meters. With this, they will be able to shut off your electricity remotely. So if they think Doug's carbon footprint is too big, they can just shut him down, which they can't easily do with gas - get it? Conspiracy theory? Maybe they are not targeting individuals yet, but in Colorado, I hear that they've already done the remote shutdowns during peak usage.
We signed up for that, briefly, a few years ago. Can't remember what the incentive was but all I know is I came home from work one hot summer day and couldn't crank the AC up enough to cool the house. Thought it was an AC problem but it was Duke Energy regulating my usage. And that was the end of that.

Last edited:

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Fvck you and your $30 gas bill. Mine was $580 last month and $495 this month. East Ventucky county loc, out.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
People all over LA are complaining about natural gas bills right now. We're on propane, so I can't confirm, but it looks like tons of people's bills have tripled or quadrupled in the last couple of months. Brutal

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
People all over LA are complaining about natural gas bills right now. We're on propane, so I can't confirm, but it looks like tons of people's bills have tripled or quadrupled in the last couple of months. Brutal
The price per unit literally doubled from December going into January. Even the December price was already 2-3X what is was about a year before. Bonkers