Don't fall asleep on the beach

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Agree with BD. How in the hell do you have tractors on a crowded beach without flags/roped off areas where the tractors will drive? Or at least a spotter/guide for the tractor? Wtf
this happens every day of the week in hermosa/manhattan/el segundo

they constantly rake the sand for trash here

the drivers sit high and go slow, but the beach goers are also clued in

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Isn't there supposed to be a guy walking front of the dozer at all times?

Been at OBSF when a dozer was pushing sand around. They had a big line of bright orange cones and two guys walking on the sand watching for anyone entering the zone where the dozer was working, as well as another guy on an ATV going back and forth between boundaries warning people.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
this happens every day of the week in hermosa/manhattan/el segundo

they constantly rake the sand for trash here

the drivers sit high and go slow, but the beach goers are also clued in
Yeah but this is dredging that only happens occasionally. Looking at the aerial shot I'm surprised the tractor was driving there Haven't been down there in about a week so I don't know how they have the tractor routes cordoned off. Do they at all?

Feb 14, 2019
Agree with BD. How in the hell do you have tractors on a crowded beach without flags/roped off areas where the tractors will drive? Or at least a spotter/guide for the tractor? Wtf
I was at the harbor today....and boy oh boy did they have spotters today for all the tractors tearing down the dredge pipes. Too bad it was a day late...but that is typical business, try to save as much money as possible until you are forced to do the right thing and work safe.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
as a south bay kid, i always used trip out on this. we'd hit it at dawn back in the day, and you always see these half drunk half hungover operators dragging the beach clean of the previous days trash.
we'd look at each other and be like dude whatever you do, dont pass out the beach cus youll get fucking raked

Reactions: grendel95

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah but this is dredging that only happens occasionally. Looking at the aerial shot I'm surprised the tractor was driving there Haven't been down there in about a week so I don't know how they have the tractor routes cordoned off. Do they at all?
No.

I had to hustle up the beach coming out of the water to not get run over.

I made sure we had eye contact.

They are removing the pipe and smoothing the sand out.

They also smooth out the sand but they do that early in the morning.

I say its the napper's fault for sleeping in a construction zone.

But what a sad catastrophe

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'll reiterate.

The dredge project has traditionally been a joint operation between the city and the Army Corp of Engineers (I could be wrong on the dept, but it's the military on behalf of the shared use of the harbor mouth. One end goes to to the rec harbor while the other path leads to Camp Pendleton).

The hiring process It is continually delayed through mismanagement on both sides leading to low bids by carnie contractors. This was inevitable. Just as it is inevitable that they often dredge too early or too late, making the investment completely useless.

In a really tonedeaf example of bad timing, one of the Oceanside City Council members is running for re-election, running largely on a sand replenishment platform.

24 hours after the sand replenishment process killed this woman, his lit dropped celebrating how "The first step to bringing sand back is complete"! Cringe.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
last year a Cop ran somebody over here in broad daylight on a beach day racing his SUV down the beach. Still employed, still apparently the biggest jerk on the 150-man Pd.