Don't fall asleep on the beach

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Maybe people need to start putting up those whip flags like you need at Pismo. (I'm already going to burn in Hell...)

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Dude. As a Heavy Machinery operator, you travel the most optimum route day in, day out.

You just don't go 4 wheeling all over the beach.

As a semi clueless person, maybe when you walk out onto an empty beach, you don't lay down in the Big tire tracks. How Tradgedie happens.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I remember this happening before by the Embassy Suites up in Oxnard - was horrible.

Do they even watch in front of them as opposed to everyone else?

And what the hell is heavy equipment doing on the beach in the first place?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This is right in front of my house. I wasn't here to see it.

They are pumping sand from the harbor.

Friday I was walking toward the water with these things driving around, making sure I didn't get run over. It's definitely a bad place to take a nap.

The woman is negligent. But that still sucks.

Feel bad for the guy. His life is ruined too.

Lots of homeless sleep on the beach here and hang out at the public bathroom now in the day.

This is just a consequence of the failure to deal with the homeless here.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This is right in front of my house. I wasn't here to see it.

They are pumping sand from the harbor.

Friday I was walking toward the water with these things driving around, making sure I didn't get run over. It's definitely a bad place to take a nap.

The woman is negligent dead. But that still sucks.

Feel bad for the guy. His life career as a tractor driver is ruined too after he failed to not run over someone.

This is just a consequence of the failure to deal with the homeless workplace safety measures here.

Lots of homeless sleep on the beach here and hang out at the public bathroom now in the day.

This is just a consequence of the failure to deal with the homeless workplace safety measures here.
Fixed it for you

The woman is negligent dead. But that still sucks.

Feel bad for the guy. His life career as a tractor driver is ruined too after he failed to not run over someone.

Lots of homeless sleep on the beach here and hang out at the public bathroom now in the day. And lots of families play on the beach without fear of being run over by a tractor.

Yes and no.
I don't know the specifics, but I know which party was laying still and which one was moving.
I know which party is responsible for the safety of their job site. The status of the victims housing doesn't factor in. Getting run over on the beach by a tractor is not a natural byproduct of being unhoused. If this was a 8 year old girl that was buried in the sand by her friends would you blame her too?

This story broke for me when I saw a friend mine post a picture of the body with some info. It felt really off to me to know that he was posting this person's remains before their family had been identified. I'm becoming a curmudgeon these days in regard to people filming everything to post immediately.

Long story short:
The city and the Army Corp have blundered the dredge project numerous times. Due to poor management from both parties, and alack of appropriate funding, the dredge project often gets scheduled late, the bid gets picked up by (obviously now) less than ideal crews, and the job gets done poorly enough at time that they have to return before the regular season.

The city surrenders the entire parking lot at the north end of the harbor for the month plus that this project takes to complete (my timing could be wrong). It's gated off for what amounts to a 4-5 day load in/load and so they can park employee camping trailers for the rest of the time,. They do not use appropriate safety measures that most construction sites would be required to use in a public space. No lead car, little flagging, no marked driving space. To put the responsibility on the person heading down to enjoy the public beach is to miss the responsibility of the work crew to ensure a safe work site.

Last edited:
Reactions: hgsouth and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
100% agreed, BD. Not to mention, isn't part of the purpose of dredging the harbor so the beaches to the south are replenished? Have they still not figured out they should wait until winter so the current is going north to south instead of south to north (bringing it right back into the harbor)?

The best part of USACE and other similar entities is they have reams of redundant paperwork (so much it all becomes useless in the field) to enforce safety and ensure a glacial timeline but not common sense. Maybe, just maybe they could have used the 6 figures for actual safety measures instead of blowing it on SAPs, QAPPS, HASPs, etc. The sad thing is, they won't take any additional tangible safety measures; they'll just add more line items to the paperwork.

Also, do they do any kind of environmental testing on the sediment they are dredging from the harbor and redistributing into public use areas? Sitting that long in a stagnant harbor, those dredge spoils are nasty, especially in terms of heavy metals, sewage (lots of Y valves in those harbors), and a whole host of other chemicals. To which I impart the advice to NEVER surf near where they are depositing the spoils. It might not be as dirty as the TJ Rivermouth after the first big rain but it isn't far off.

Reactions: hgsouth

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Agree with BD. How in the hell do you have tractors on a crowded beach without flags/roped off areas where the tractors will drive? Or at least a spotter/guide for the tractor? Wtf

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
saw that lady about 1.5 hours before this happened - I was cruising up the strand to check how crowded it was in front of the condos (a sh!t show as it always is now) and saw her crashed out on the sand - I noticed her cause the beach was pretty empty and a fully clothed lady all curled up in the middle of the beach caught my eye....I wonder why the bulldozer driver didn't see her as easily as I did?

Reactions: hgsouth