***The Official Dog Thread***

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Man these last few posts are pulling at the heart strings! Thankfully my GF is chopping onions for dinner so she wont question the tears. I truly appreciate you guys sharing these stories and I absolutely dread the day when its time to make that decision. I guess its the sobering reality of being a pet owner. My little man Duncan, 13 next month, changed me in so many positive ways, both physically and mentally. I have never been so emotionally attached to anything like I am to him. I never really understood "unconditional" love until I got my little buddy. We are so lucky to have them! And even though they wont be with us throughout our lives, its such valuable time that I would not swap for anything in the world.

6/2010. The first time we made eye contact. Love at first sight!
Dunks.jpg

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Update: After a day of impossible decision making, kicking myself in the ass repeatedly for not investing in pet insurance and buckets of tears that would make Peter North envious, Pickle is currently in the OR having these masses hopefully removed. The good news is it got me out of having a wedding and gf agreed to do it in a courthouse, the bad news is we’re spending an irresponsible amount of money on the heels of putting everything we had into a new house that leaks when it rains and we don’t know if this surgery will actually work. But…after talking to the vet and going back to see him he was just too full of life to not try. Jumped in my lap wagging his tail and licked my face. There was a zero percent chance I could look at an astronomical estimate and decide to put him down then and there. It was tempting to just take him home but the rate at which he was bleeding internally would have been bad news, basically we’d be taking him home to die and if the mass ruptured which is likely it could have gotten ugly. So here we are, home after a long day of eating nothing and sipping yesterdays thermos of coffee waiting by the phone.

This is us about 2 hours ago…

4C1527CB-D2B2-4914-A797-29D8DAF9E37F.jpeg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Update: After a day of impossible decision making, kicking myself in the ass repeatedly for not investing in pet insurance and buckets of tears that would make Peter North envious, Pickle is currently in the OR having these masses hopefully removed. The good news is it got me out of having a wedding and gf agreed to do it in a courthouse, the bad news is we’re spending an irresponsible amount of money on the heels of putting everything we had into a new house that leaks when it rains and we don’t know if this surgery will actually work. But…after talking to the vet and going back to see him he was just too full of life to not try. Jumped in my lap wagging his tail and licked my face. There was a zero percent chance I could look at an astronomical estimate and decide to put him down then and there. It was tempting to just take him home but the rate at which he was bleeding internally would have been bad news, basically we’d be taking him home to die and if the mass ruptured which is likely it could have gotten ugly. So here we are, home after a long day of eating nothing and sipping yesterdays thermos of coffee waiting by the phone.

View attachment 146662
Getting old is not for wimps. A very wise man and friend of ours said that.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

View attachment 146662
Fingers crossed for full recovery!

Reactions: Chocki

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Our big dog died in my son's bed a few months ago. The pups all sleep in his bed. My wife checked on them at 11:30 at night and she was still breathing. At 1:30 a.m., the pup was up barking, so she checked on them. We know she died in her sleep sometime between then. She was 11.

Took my son to practice early in the a.m. After we get home (8:30), he comes in our room and says he thinks she's dead, with a smile on his face. My wife and I both think he's joking. I check on her and she's cold, still lying in his bed. Best way to go, but kind of a shocker for him, which is why he was smiling (he couldn't believe it).

W the latest pup last week, we're back up to 3.

• Sad
Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Word from surgery isn’t good.

The mass was intertwined with the root of the isentary which feeds the intestines with blood. So removal was not an option. Oncologist on duty said visually that it appears to be lymphoma but waiting on biopsy. He may or may not respond to chemo. But unsure if we want to put him through all that or just bring him home and make him comfortable in hopes that there’s some quality left and when it gets bad enough have a mobile vet come euthanize him in the backyard that we bought for him.:(

07F857C9-412B-430E-8B11-ED16F76F1285.jpeg

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
You do what you have to, but I don’t know of anybody who has had a good result chasing canine cancer. Maybe someone else here has.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

The mass was intertwined with the root of the isentary which feeds the intestines with blood. So removal was not an option. Oncologist on duty said visually that it appears to be lymphoma but waiting on biopsy. He may or may not respond to chemo. But unsure if we want to put him through all that or just bring him home and make him comfortable in hopes that there’s some quality left and when it gets bad enough have a mobile vet come euthanize him in the backyard that we bought for him.:(

View attachment 146675
Gosh dammit. This thread is killing me.

I'm so sorry this is happening to your best little buddy. I hope they give a better prognosis.

My Brittany Spaniel made it to 14 and then it went bad.

She went out one day and just never got up but still smiling and looking at me like let's go to the beach and run but she couldn't even get up.

Hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life was pick her up and carry her to the car knowing where I was taking her.

God speed to your little one frvks.

I'm balling my eyes out right now both for you and me and everyone else here that have suffered the loss of a pet. It really does suck.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You do what you have to, but I don’t know of anybody who has had a good result chasing canine cancer. Maybe someone else here has.
No luck here.

On a side note my daughter’s half biting chihuahua and retarded pit bull just bit me for the last time. Three strikes and you’re out. I won’t abide by a dog that bites the hand that feeds him, especially what I feed him. He’s had a problem with nipping at people he gets behind. Four people to date besides me, mine were head on, all of the others he snuck up on. His father is a biting motherfooker, also bites my mother in law. She puts a muzzle on him if anyone else is around him.

Suggestions?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Gosh dammit. This thread is killing me.

I'm so sorry this is happening to your best little buddy. I hope they give a better prognosis.

My Brittany Spaniel made it to 14 and then it went bad.

She went out one day and just never got up but still smiling and looking at me like let's go to the beach and run but she couldn't even get up.

Hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life was pick her up and carry her to the car knowing where I was taking her.

God speed to your little one frvks.

I'm balling my eyes out right now both for you and me and everyone else here that have suffered the loss of a pet. It really does suck.
Thanks for the tears Keen, I’m all out at the moment. Still sipping yesterdays coffee and I’m taking this intermittent fasting thing to a whole new level. We never got around to eating today.

Reactions: keenfish

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
One thing to keep in mind is it's natural for dogs to hide pain and discomfort. Keep that in mind. We had a 4 year old lab that got torsion. We paid for the surgery and all the subsequent care. He lasted about 6 months until it twisted again and we put him down that evening. In that time he was never the same dog. Talking to the vet he said I was making the right decision and that the things are extremely painful and do not usually end well. I wish the first vet would have told me that.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube

View attachment 146675
Bummer, dude.

At least they got to spend their time with someone who loved them as much as they loved you.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Picked this Baja rescue up a couple weeks ago. 1 year old lab mix, about 35 lbs. He's a sweet dog. The cats have begun to tolerate him. The snake is indifferent to his existence.

Neither that leash nor the harness he's wearing in the picture are still in one piece, and the bag for my 7'0" is now missing a strap. He's a chewer.

View attachment 146677View attachment 146677

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
This thread is killing me. Reminding me of all the good times with my boy. Great to see all surfer best friends.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Not easy to watch them get old... This little buggar was my wife's... Billy was 1yr old when I met her... lived to 18yrs old.

He was not standing anymore, clearly in pain... we took him to the vet to put him to sleep... while on the waiting room he stands up and takes a few steps...only to make the decision harder. But it's what was best for him.

1674655648657.png
1674655613995.png

Reactions: Aruka

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

View attachment 146662
All ball busting aside, sorry to read that. We just went through almost the exact same thing back around Labor Day with our 7 year old Golden. I took him for a walk then went surfing that morning after he begged me for my breakfast. Totally normal morning. When I got home a couple hours later my wife said he wasn't acting right. By 1:00 I was getting worried and had to call my son to come home to help me get him in the car to take him to the vet. By the time we got to the vet at 2:00 he was unconscious. He was bleeding out internally fast and the vet gave us an option of $10,000 plus the cost of blood products to attempt to find the source which was likely the spleen where a quick ultrasound found a mass. He held on just long enough for my wife and kids to get to the vet's office before he was gone at 4:00. Way too young. Dang a house is empty without a dog.

Got right back on the horse and got another pup in late October.

317256292_10217640435641492_7409427179182973865_n.jpg

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

View attachment 146675
I'm so sorry Skully

I really think avoiding chemo will give the best quality of life

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Thanks for the tears Keen, I’m all out at the moment. Still sipping yesterdays coffee and I’m taking this intermittent fasting thing to a whole new level. We never got around to eating today.
Super sorry to hear that man. This stuff is the absolute worse. Had to put down one of our dogs about two years ago and it still stings.

GSP are pretty hectic dogs even if you have the space to let them run. I've never had one before but I get the sense they require a good amount of input (training, fetch, etc.) Might second the Labradoodle suggestion if you want something that will fetch and swim but has a more mellow demeanor. I just got a standard poodle myself. He's 5 months old. Great combination of easy going demeanor, good energy, and trainability.

Reactions: Ifallalot