***The Official Dog Thread***

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
We’ve never had a dog. I didn’t want one because I want to be able to pick up and go any time. Well, we don’t pick up and go any time anyway, so now I’m open to a dog.
as first time dog people, we aren’t really sure where to start
wife wants limited shedding
i want limited barking
we both want something that doesn’t look or act scary
we want playful and friendly
we dont want anything too big

because we’ve never cared for a dog before, we’re not sure we are the right people for a rescue

what does the erbb think?
you strike me as the back yard patio sunbathing type… have you thought about a cat or maybe even a hamster for starters ?

:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Norm'

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We’ve never had a dog. I didn’t want one because I want to be able to pick up and go any time. Well, we don’t pick up and go any time anyway, so now I’m open to a dog.
i want limited barking

because we’ve never cared for a dog before, we’re not sure we are the right people for a rescue

See if you can adopt a havanese or something similar

Reactions: Random Guy

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
i want limited barking

Go to the local pound.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
i want limited barking

We have a poodle mix for you.
IMG_20180218_210320_963.jpgimage000000.jpg
He's as tall as a medium sized dog, but only weighs 22 lbs. He's 10. Getting beat up by our two pups who are bigger than him. Needs a calm home.

Reactions: keenfish

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
you strike me as the back yard patio sunbathing type… have you thought about a cat or maybe even a hamster for starters ?

:shrug:
Haha I’m sitting out on the backyard patio now,
but no interest in cats or hamsters

We have a poodle mix for you.
View attachment 155620View attachment 155621
He's as tall as a medium sized dog, but only weighs 22 lbs. He's 10. Getting beat up by our two pups who are bigger than him. Needs a calm home.
where are you located?

How about a turtle or a fish?
I’ll pass on the turtle
but a few years ago I asked about fish here, and now have 11 fish

Go to the local pound.
I guess I’m trying to figure out if a dog from a pound is likely to have some trauma that makes them challenging, especially for someone new to dogs

thanks for the responses

Reactions: keenfish

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I guess I’m trying to figure out if a dog from a pound is likely to have some trauma that makes them challenging, especially for someone new to dogs

thanks for the responses
growing up we adopted our dogs from the town of north Hempstead pound or a rescue. We did have one bad experience with a young lab that did not like my mother and we had to bring her back; which really strengthened my father’s avoidance of adopting young dogs. Not a lot of people talk about the mental changes puppies for through as they get older and in my opinion give you just as much of a chance at having a “problem” dog as one from the pound. Most people want cute little puppies, but expect them to be a perfect dog out of the box. Adopting an older dog (3+) you kind of know what you’re going to get. Not all of those dogs are problematic; honestly with all the covid returned dogs at the moment the problem dogs are probably the minority. If I wasn’t looking for a dog that did a job and served a purpose in addition to being a companion at home this would be my first choice.

my little sister was fostering some great dogs in NY before she moved to CO, so I could definitely get you in touch with some good fostering groups.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i want limited barking

Buying from a breeder does not necessarily mean you are going to get a "better" dog compared to adopting.
Get an adult dog that matches your energy or a puppy if you want to have the all the way, hands on, experience.
8 months-year 4 are going to be the most energy intensive, particularly if you get a working/sporting breed. If you want to skip it, get an older dog.

Take it (really you are taking you and the wife) to a dog trainer with a solid record in your area.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Buying from a breeder does not necessarily mean you are going to get a "better" dog compared to adopting.
Get an adult dog that matches your energy or a puppy if you want to have the all the way, hands on, experience.
8 months-year 4 are going to be the most energy intensive, particularly if you get a working/sporting breed. If you want to skip it, get an older dog.

Take it (really you are taking you and the wife) to a dog trainer with a solid record in your area.
Big fan of clicker training

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
My wife and I have been fostering a dog from the shelter she volunteers at to make space for dogs who got spooked by fireworks and ran away from home. (Happens every year.)

Normally wouldn't post anything in these situations, but this guy is such an unbelievably good dog that we really want to find a new home for him so that he doesn't need to return to the shelter when the firework dogs go home.

4 year old german shepherd mix of some sort, really good with both our 3 year old german shepherd and our 13 year old poodle/chihuahua mix. Big time chiller. If you or anyone you know is thinking of adopting you won't do much better than Ozzy here. :shaka:

OM.jpg

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not a fan of any treat or clicker training, as when dog "loses control of itself" and gets into an aggresive, or full on fight, situation they will NOT stop for a clicker, much less take a break for a treat.

Dogs are pack animals, BE THE A DOG, period.

If your animal sees you that way, they WILL respond, even in aggressive situations.

My .02 cents.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Not a fan of any treat or clicker training, as when dog "loses control of itself" and gets into an aggresive, or full on fight, situation they will NOT stop for a clicker, much less take a break for a treat.

Dogs are pack animals, BE THE A DOG, period.

If your animal sees you that way, they WILL respond, even in aggressive situations.

My .02 cents.
How do you do this? Just curious.

My sons' pandemic dog has always been super confident/strong willed since she was a puppy. She growls in her sleep if you bother her too much, even when she was 8 weeks old. Smartest dog we've ever owned (out of around 10 or so). We had to change our door knobs bc she was letting herself into rooms at 5 months.

She knows that I'm the boss, but never due to pinning her or growling at her. Doesn't listen very well to my youngest, though.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Day 3 of dog sitting and I love this dog. So pleasant to be around. Loves to play, loves to chill, hardly barks
As much as I love her, I feel like I need my freedom and do t want that to mean my dog isn’t happy while I’m out for the day
So I’m leaning towards not getting a dog for now, but I’d love to share custody of this beautiful girlIMG_3305.jpeg

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
IMG_8903.jpeg

Pickle is currently recovering from his final chemo treatment! He’s in a state of full clinical remission and we go back for an ultrasound in a month with the hope that he stays in remission sans treatment. While I’m glad we’re no longer doing weekly or biweekly chemo, I will say there was a certain sense of security in knowing that he was getting regular high quality care and now there’s a sense of anxiety entering the unknown of this wait and see phase. Lymphoma treatment is typically not curative and it will likely come back at some point. The million dollar question is will it be weeks, months or years before it does. For now just trying to take one day at a time.

Last edited: